Non immi O visa from KL or Lao? - over 50, but not married to Thai lady

Background

I am currently over 50 yrs old – I currently have a retirement OA visa that I have extend this a number of times at Bangkok immigration.

I want to explore my options for my next time for extension

- I know that there is an option for an Edu visa, but I do not want to go the Edu Visa route.

- If I was married to a Thai lady I would have the option for a Non Immi O multiple entry visa you can get one in KL Malaysia or Savannakhet Laos. But I am not married to a Thai lady

Questions:

1. Is there an equivalent of the Non immi O multiple (or worst case just single) for being over 50 type visa you can get from KL Malaysia or Savannakhet Laos (similar to the case for being married to a Thai lady).

2. And for complete clarity (since I am assuming that the answer to previous question is – NO there is no such option for an over 50, not married to Thai lady to have Non immi O multiple) – My only option to have a Non immi O multiple would be to get that from my home country (UK) and I would need to make the trip home at the end of my current extension and then do the same again every 15 months for the Non immi O multiple visa. Is this correct?

You will not get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon retirement from any nearby location. From latest reports the ability to get one in the UK now is small. Why are wanting to stop getting extensions?

Thanks ubonjoe - Glad to see you were online for this question - See a lot of good solid responses on this stuff from you on the Visa questions.

The main reason to consider this route is to limit my exposure to currency fluctuations with a deposit of 800K (I want to bring money into Thailand when I see the most favorably rates and not try to guess the rates well into the future by bringing in a single lump sum, but rather adapt the funds I need depending upon my situation and rates at the time)

I normally am OK for doing the UK Embassy letter for earnings and Bank book with letter form Thai bank funds, but this time I got pushed into signing a commitment statement to never extend via this method again in the future and the only option now for the OA Visa is the Bank deposit for the full 800k

The full thread here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/685676-i-had-my-british-embassy-income-letter-rejected-by-immigration-for-my-annual-extension-of-stay-ban/

I was trying figure out a way to do an alternative visa for a year and then go back to the OA visa application (doing a conversion) after this - So I could claim that the amount of time has passed and the way I have been getting visa has changed - So I should be considered as a fresh applicant - Not the one that made the commitment statement on the bottom of my tm 7 form.

I know that this is not a water tight approach, but it would add some extra doubt to the existing requirement.

The other consideration is to do what is required by the statement for next extension by depositing the 800k funds in Thai bank and then claim I did what was required (for next time of extension) and argue the point about the requirement being forever for all subsequent extensions (since the statement was dictated to me and I wrote something near what was requested, but not exactly as requested and this could / might be interpreted in a different way to being a requirement as "forever").

Edited by spambot

I wouldn't worry about the paper you signed at immigration when you do your next extension.

Really! - But since the previous extensions TM 7's are viewed as part of 1st stage (prior to 2nd stage signature) - It will come up as a question - Any thoughts on using a suitable response?

I have never seen them look at previous extension paperwork when I do mine.

Yup I know - I only noted this on my last time - I was trying to make a mental note of everything that happened in the process to remember this for the next time.

It happened to me after all the paperwork I submitted and I passed this step of paperwork presented - At the very end just before handing me back the passport and making his stamp in the passport (to be signed) - He looked via computer screen at all my previous applications - Looked like they had them scanned in as an image - I have to say there could be margin for doubt on this since I am about 85% sure that these were previous TM7's I were looking at - I was sat at the furthest corner of the desk away from the screen (opposite site of desk to immigration officer) - so I had an angle of view to what he was searching onscreen. This process of search lasted between 80 - 90 secs and he kept stopping and reading other notes that were not on my TM7's. It felt like a thorough evaluation of the information he was looking at rather than just a quick skim.

Edited by spambot

Well they must do some checking between receiving the application and returning the passport because some people have been told they would need a new photograph for the application because Immigrations found they used the same photo last year.

Well they must do some checking between receiving the application and returning the passport because some people have been told they would need a new photograph for the application because Immigrations found they used the same photo last year.

Mnnnn....Actually that's a good point!

We're a British couple, over 50 and we got a multi-entry non-immigrant type O visa before our departure in the UK. We had to show savings of 800,000 baht each. I don't know if these are available from Laos or KL though but you definitely don't need a Thai wife to get one if applied for in the UK!

We're a British couple, over 50 and we got a multi-entry non-immigrant type O visa before our departure in the UK. We had to show savings of 800,000 baht each. I don't know if these are available from Laos or KL though but you definitely don't need a Thai wife to get one if applied for in the UK!

Just as a matter of interest why did you not choose the O/A visa option which would , if used correctly, have given two years in country.