Where to Retire in Chiang Mai?

RickNuNu

Last night I posted the topic "Retire to Chiang Mai?" on Thai Visa Forum. I received many thoughtful answers (and a few not so thoughtful) but wish to thank you all for you input.

I actually now have a very specific question, what would be the best location for me begin my Chiang Mai adventure??

I see there are 100's of rentals and many districts but I actually don't know where to even start to look. And I would like to narrow down my search BEFORE I arrive.

Here would be my wish list;

1. A one bedroom condo in a high rise.

2. Centrally located. I would like to walk out of the lobby and be within in walking distance to Coffee Shops, Restaurants, Nightlife, Grocery Shopping, Book Stores. And if can have everything on my wish list, let's add a Movie Theater and a good Gym.

Does such a place exist? What district is it in? Do you know of a specific building I should look at? And can you recommend a good agent that can help me find such a property?

Again, thank you so much for your help!!!!

Chiang Mai offer "different locations for different intentions"....

1) If you like to be around foreign tourist, bars with girls, and night life, around the Tha Pae Gate may be perfect. Busy night street Sunday market.

2) If you like to be around more permanent foreign residents, teacher and students, away from tourist areas ...but close to everything, look for Neeman and Chiang Rai University areas. Close to the Airport Central Plaza Mall is also a good area, close to everything. Do not rent a car or motorbike, NEVER, get accounted with a tuk tuk driver and call it when you need it. Mine was Lung Nuat when I was living in Chiang Mai..nice guy..088-4086797. He will pick up you at the airport and take you to your hotel or everywhere close for about $2.50...(80THB) up to 3 people.

3) If you do not know anybody in Chiang Mai and want to meet Thai people that can help you with your choices and good advise, call for reservation and airport pick up to the SKHouse1, Muan Luang and Soi 9, blocks from the Tha Pae Gate and talk with a lady travel agent working there, or the lady working in the travel agency and Internet store around the block., or look for Thai Smile Travel Agency, another helpful and honest lady in the area. All them speak good English. Around the Miami Hotel cross street, by the temple, is a small place renting good rooms by a month, now probably about $200/month. In Neeman and University areas you may found studio apartments in called service Apartments building for about $250/300 month.

Do not look for housing using a real estate office...take your time. Real estate offices will ask for double of the normal rental price of any property, and will ask for long term contract. Look for a month to month rental or very short term contract, and for a furnished places with AC.

After April rentals are easier to find and in a better price.

I hope you will find this useful for you. Be safe and sober all the time and enjoy the smiles!

• Like 2

Huay Kaew Road / Nimmanheimin area has a big new shopping mall (with cinema) opening in January and has lots of what you are looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWpBPrLVLSw

My favourite area for nightlife are the trendy sois off Nimmanheimin Road. Lots of gyms about: Hillside 4 condo has a reasonable gym and refurbished pool.

Edited by BenCM
  • Like 1

My favourite area for nightlife are the trendy sois

"trendy sois" sounds very 60's Ben. But I agree, it's an Aladdin's cave of eateries and, er, drinkeries. Best part of town for me.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Some good advice here. Rent monthly till you are comfortable making a longer term decision.

Nimaheimin (sp) is a good area, but if you want to be close to the action, but away from the inevitable noise and traffic, I suggest some of the sois along the adjacent street, Sirimankaljarn (sp).

You'll be within walking distance of two shopping centre with cinemas, Kad Suan Kaew and Maya, rents may be lower, and it will be quieter.

T

1) If you like to be around foreign tourist, bars with girls, and night life, around the Tha Pae Gate may be perfect. Busy night street Sunday market.

2) If you like to be around more permanent foreign residents, teacher and students, away from tourist areas ...but close to everything, look for Neeman and Chiang Rai University areas. Close to the Airport Central Plaza Mall is also a good area, close to everything. Do not rent a car or motorbike, NEVER, get accounted with a tuk tuk driver and call it when you need it. Mine was Lung Nuat when I was living in Chiang Mai..nice guy..088-4086797. He will pick up you at the airport and take you to your hotel or everywhere close for about $2.50...(80THB) up to 3 people.

3) If you do not know anybody in Chiang Mai and want to meet Thai people that can help you with your choices and good advise, call for reservation and airport pick up to the SKHouse1, Muan Luang and Soi 9, blocks from the Tha Pae Gate and talk with a lady travel agent working there, or the lady working in the travel agency and Internet store around the block., or look for Thai Smile Travel Agency, another helpful and honest lady in the area. All them speak good English. Around the Miami Hotel cross street, by the temple, is a small place renting good rooms by a month, now probably about $200/month. In Neeman and University areas you may found studio apartments in called service Apartments building for about $250/300 month.

Do not look for housing using a real estate office...take your time. Real estate offices will ask for double of the normal rental price of any property, and will ask for long term contract. Look for a month to month rental or very short term contract, and for a furnished places with AC.

I hope you will find this useful for you. Be safe and sober all the time and enjoy the smiles!

Hi Umbanda, I find your post informative, however, I have a question regarding this part: " Do not rent a car or motorbike, NEVER" . Why is this? Do the owners of the vehicles do the same scams as what happens in Phuket, finding bogus damage and demanding exorbitant sums of money? Thanks.

If I were in your shoes I would spend a month (or three) living around the Tha Pae area, and then move to the Nimmanhaemin area for a month (or three) and see what you like best. Agreed that you do not need to involve an agent. Just walk around town, talk to people, look for "condo for rent" signs, etc.

I second the above suggestion. Check into a 4-star hotel, or even one of the better Guest Houses around Tha Pae Gate area for a week or so and have a look around at what is going to be best for you.

As others have advised, DON'T surrender to an AGENT, you'll almost certainly pay a lot more than you need to.

Good luck and Welcome in Advance!

Edited by Torrens54

Excellent answer! Once you're settled in for a while, you could think about an unfurnished lease. No hurry. Keep your eyes open. Years is fine.

Pride of ownership is more of a western world idea. Rent or lease is probably better. Do the math. Most people don't live much past 100. Although my dad is apparently headed there! Plus you're free. And money in the bank is always nice.

Hi Umbanda, I find your post informative, however, I have a question regarding this part: " Do not rent a car or motorbike, NEVER" . Why is this? Do the owners of the vehicles do the same scams as what happens in Phuket, finding bogus damage and demanding exorbitant sums of money? Thanks.

I'm not Umbanda but if you plan to stay long term, it will work out much cheaper to buy a secondhand bike, loads of good secondhand motorcycles for sale. I would buy a Yamaha or Suzuki, much cheaper than an equivalent Honda, and spare parts are easy to get as there are Suzuki and Yamaha agents in town. Thieves go for Hondas much easier to sell and they get a far better price for them as well.

Rentals are not recommended, its not your bike.

Edited by Hawk

Exactly....but not only because that. Started with buying a second hand lemon. Later.... I had an accident with my motorbike, not my fault, but was a nightmare to deal with all people involved, the insurance, the police, etc, etc...and really didn't make sense for the cost in gasoline and the stress of riding in mad traffic. I am from America, left driving, very orderly traffic, etc...A recipe for accidents, and to get kill or kill somebody.

For the money I wasted in 6 months...I used a tuk tuk service for 2 years....and having fun. Now my Thai wife drive our car. She is very good driver, but in Thai style. I am only a lousy copilot...just telling her...Slow down...slow down...and closing my eyes sometimes.

Exactly....but not only because that. Started with buying a second hand lemon. Later.... I had an accident with my motorbike, not my fault, but was a nightmare to deal with all people involved, the insurance, the police, etc, etc...and really didn't make sense for the cost in gasoline and the stress of riding in mad traffic. I am from America, left driving, very orderly traffic, etc...A recipe for accidents, and to get kill or kill somebody.

For the money I wasted in 6 months...I used a tuk tuk service for 2 years....and having fun. Now my Thai wife drive our car. She is very good driver, but in Thai style. I am only a lousy copilot...just telling her...Slow down...slow down...and closing my eyes sometimes.

Secondhand bikes are easy to have checked or easy to check out by oneself, not much can go wrong on a 110 or 125 and as for tuk-tuks the drivers are mostly bloody lunatics, avoid.

I adhere to most of the advice given, but keep in mind, every individual is different and unique. What works for some, doesn't work for others. Above all, Take Your Time. Explore all the above mentioned areas, as well as checking out others. Chiang Mai is a wonderful city that you could spend years checking everything out. But I also strongly suggest making an attempt to learning the language basics here as well. You'll find the people much friendlier if they see you are at least trying to learn.

Welcome to Chiang Mai, the only place I want to live.

• Like 1

I cannot quite follow Umbanda's logic, so I will give you my experience on hire cars:

I do not own a car in CM, I rent when I need one.

I most often use the firms National and Ruby with no problems at all. Modern, clean cars with helpful staff who will deliver and collect the car from you.

Prices start at around THB 1,300 a day for a small saloon on a short hire.

I am aware of the Phuket jet-ski scam - not seen it here with hire cars.

Edited by BenCM

Ive never had a problem with hiring scooters. But then Ive never had a serious accident on a hire scooter. Sure the trafiic can be very difficult at times and you need to have eyes in the back of your head in order to survive, but after 18 months I still like riding about the place.

2nd hand scooters are easy to come by and as long as they are maintained, are generally in good order. As stated previously, be very wary of tuk tuks and songtaews when riding a scooter (Or in fact when riding any motorbike) their driving styles will be very different to what you may normally expect. Its as if they see no other traffic when they drive, and appear to have freedom to move whereever and whenever they desire.

Other good info has already been stated, so look forward to your trip here and enjoy the place!

I would say, plan to pursue an interest: chess, bridge, golf, writing - whatever. You should be able to find like-minded people online, and through this forum, as well as in person once you arrive. This way, you'll have something to fill your time, as well as a means of meeting people who don't, to put it nicely, spend all day drinking and chasing economical prostitutes.

I heartily agree that you should rent for the first month, or few months, till you get an idea of where you want to live, and how you want to spend your time. There are many places around Chiang Mai where you can find affordable rents. One I might suggest, is The Pub, on Huay Kaew road, opposite the new Maya shopping mall (which was already recommended). An American acquaintance stayed there last year, and said he paid 10,000 Baht (a little over $300 US) per month.

http://www.thepubchiangmai.com/

Chiang Mai is a great starting point if you are moving here for the first time and don't want to just be stuck in a metropolis. I would not dig in though, after a couple years here there does need to be something holding you here to really stick around forever.

After 2 years here I realized that if it was not so cheap, I would be somewhere else, so the affordability is a big factor. Also, not much to do after you have made the rounds a couple times, unless you just like hanging out at the same places, which is ok too. Or, it could be a personality defect of mine. I really should not be bored anywhere, I'm a boring person. whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn You can figure out this one on your own.

I would not worry about buying, you can get a lanna style home with western comforts for around $500-600 a month walking distance to city, so not much reason to rush in and complicate things buy purchasing property.

Whatever you do, try to bring your core with you. Many guys end up doing the bargirl stuff and drinking because there is not much to do unless you make it, and are not really happy from what I see, even though they say they are. Not really a great way to go out.

• Like 1