The Panasonic GM1

While I have been enjoying myself, upgrading my camera gear on a regular basis, my wife has been stuck with her four year old Olympus EP1. She still likes it, but the sensor is getting a bit ancient compared to modern offerings. I have been wanting to get her a replacement; but as well as taking good shots it would have to have some sort of cosmetic appeal.

When I put this in her hands yesterday, the squeals of delight indicated that the cuteness button had been pushed:

11578079093_3b3163964f_c.jpg
P1200131 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

Without actually seeing it in the flesh and holding it in your hand, it is hard to appreciate just how tiny it is, but here it is being overshadowed by my E-M1:

11578619096_7acf959828_c.jpg
P1200130 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

It's not just tiny and cute, it's also technically rather impressive. For a start, it's an interchangeable lens micro four thirds camera, so she can continue to use any of our lenses. The diminutive Olympus 45mm F1.8 goes well with it:

11578621676_cb6972916f_c.jpg
P1200133 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

Magnesium chassis with aluminium end plates. One function button on the top, with five more accessible via the LCD. Sensor is from the GX7, which means IQ should be excellent. Electronic shutter for completely silent shutter and speeds up to 1/16,000 second!

Kit lens is a 12-32mm which is receiving very solid reviews. Won't beat my Olympus 12-40mm on my E-M1, but that combination weighs 950 grammes, and the GM1 with lens weighs 278 grammes....

Of course the size leads to some downsides. The controls are inevitably fiddly, but the LCD based options take away some of the pain. There is no viewfinder, no hotshoe, but there is a built-in flash. The battery is very small, so the shots per charge will be limited. A spare battery will be required.

Video is apparently good. The Panasonic GH3 has always been the camera to beat, this review reckons the GM1 is better: http://www.eoshd.com/content/11643/panasonic-gm1-review-another-pocket-cinema-camera

Put this camera, together with the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 and the Olympus 45mm F1.8 in a small bag; and you have a powerful set-up to take anywhere. Amazing.

When I can pry it out of her hands for an extended period, I will write a full review.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...