November ECO car sales...looks good for the New Yaris...

funcat

For those who are still looking for the ECO car to buy,the New Yaris sales are crazy....I use to favor the Almera,but after seeing and test driving the New Yaris,it is a clear winner to me for now...of course the Swift is a fun car to dive,but not much fun for the passengers in the back seat...wink.png

post-60959-0-42947800-1388158531_thumb.j

I was very impressed with the Yaris after looking at it at the Motor Expo .... especially considering the cost. Good interior space, decent interior quality and it even looks OK - so the high sales make sense to me. I've not driven one yet but some posters have mentioned that the engine sounds strained and it revs high in normal use (CVT transmission?).

Would be great to hear from some owners.

I'd like to know what it's like out of the city. I live in Central Bangkok so normal road conditions would not strain the top speed of a rot etan - but would be good to know if it's OK for a longer drives.

Looks good. But.... make a test drive. It's too loud, high revs, high consumption. Too small 1.2l engine. They need to put the 1.5l Vios engine in.

Well...it is an ECO car...no problems when driven the 'eco' way....tongue.png

Edited by funcat

It's actually a nice car. Besides that ugly orange speedometer (the Vios has the same ugly in blue). Lot's of space. Quality finish. But the engine kills it. We even ordered one. Then went to Chevrolet. And got a 1.6l Sonic. 5000B for Toyota for the effort, still got two movie tickets for free biggrin.png

The ECO label is a scam. They should make small diesel engines like VW, Skoda, Audi that run on 4l for 100km. Not available in Thailand.

Edited by MadMac

I saw a review of it in the headlightmag.com website. What gets me is the quoted acceleration of the yaris to 100km/h is about 2 seconds faster than every other cvt equipped eco-car. Yet it has less HP than both the swift and brio, and weighs 65kg more than them! It is also quoted as faster than the 1.5L yaris to 100 km/h. Is the cvt different to the others?

I noticed the yaris (2100rpm) has a higher rpm than the swift (1900rpm) at 100 km/h, so I think it is geared differently. That suggests at highway speeds the yaris will use more fuel than the others.

For a couple of hundred K baht more, I'd get an ecoboost fiesta. 125HP/Litre is pretty impressive. Too bad it has no space in the back lol

Nice looking car, but underpowered and crude. The Swift is the only car I'd consider from that list.

Not fair to compare with a Fiesta as the Vios doesn't come close to the refinement and quality offered by the Ford, but the Vios is substantially cheaper and the Firsta isn't considered an Eco car in Thailand.

Yup, clearly to see, high revs for all the 1.2l cars. That's not eco as it will burn more fuel than the 1.5l running 1500rpm lower.

The CVT's of the 1.2 cars all run at lower rpm when cruising than say a 1.5 jazz/yaris. You can see that in the table. Of course you rev them harder for the same acceleration rate as a 1.5, but at cruising speed the 1.2 cvt will use less fuel that a 1.5. I've owned an older honda city 1.5 manual, which gave about 13km/l, my honda 2.0 is closer to 9.5 km/l, and swift 1.2 cvt is abut 15 km/l, over the same territory. Fuel efficiency of a 1.5 would be better if mated with a cvt, but some people don't like how a cvt operates - quite loud if driven hard.

• Like 1

I was also surprised at the results considering the engine's spec. 0-100 results are 2 to 3 sec better than all of the class! 80-120 seems on par with the other cars.

Looks like the CVT is set up a bit differently, higher revs at 110 kph and as a result a bit lower fuel efficiency.

Commenting at original post, very good results from suzuki considering they are not promoting the car as much as the other brands and they are kind of a newcomer in the group. Honda brio and amaze are such a massive fail blink.png

Only the new Yaris and the Swift look decent. The rest look like they were designed by Nissan or Fiat.