Price of life/wife: An honest appraisal

laolover88

I know we have been here before. But New Year prompts these reflections!

Been "rebudgeting"

PER MONTH

Thailand Europe

Rent 6000 4000(Tax)(France no rent no mortgage)

Electric/Water 2500 3500

Motorbike 2000

nothing to do with me but I have to pay for it! 0

Car 10000 750. Road Tax

G/F 20000 minimum cheapskate me 0

School 6000 (3 kids 2 terms) 0

Clothes 1000 (minimum) 0 plenty of them!!

Kids pocket money 9000 (3 of them)(100B a day) 3000(1 of them)

Food+Drink 25000 20000

Petrol/Fuel 8000 10000

79500 =1590 41250=850

Have cars (old CRV and Vios) but if I need another!! France have cars. No need new ones

If car 89500 =1790

Maybe give gf less? hardly! STILL 38/48000 B CHEAPER

Must be mad

None of the kids ours together 2 hers 1 mine

Still think a week's grocery bills cheaper in France unless you want to eat SomTam all day everyday..

which they do!

Move back to France live alone with child...Maybe time has come!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you dont want to phase out GF from the equation in France completely, i almost sure it will incur costs there too, dating isnt a zero sum game really, doesnt matter what one like to believe.

all you need is a new GF, most probably, with less financial needs attached?

• Like 1

My pennies worth. I have 2 kids with my wife.. I could not afford to have any reasonable lifestyle back in the UK. I di not pay my wufe a penny. Other than we have built a house. To put it into perspective for me if I did not have my wife I would be a bar hound and certainly spend a lot more than I do now.If you pay your wife 20 k a month then thsts whete the saving can come from. Be honest with yourself.

living in france is more expensive than living in thailand (unless you want foie gras for every meal)

but living with a financially dependent girlfriend (and her kids) is obviously more expensive than being celibate

decisions based on ending/continuing romantic relationships are normally not based on financial calculations

it might be better to think this through more clearly after last night's red wine has worked it's way through your system

bonne chance!

i would guess that financial situations are quite prevelant in deciding to end relatioshsips - as such. in fact im sure ithey are. also, being without a paid girlfirend doesnt mean being celibate. quite the opposite.

just playing devils advocate here smile.png

Edited by jonesthebaker
  • Like 1

Rent does not seem quite right : if you live rent free mortgage free in France, it means you own a home outright (unless you plan to go back with your parents ?). If this is the case, then since you are in Thailand, you can rent the French house to someone else, which will be at least 1000 Euros whatever house it is in France, so 45.000 baths per month !

Don't want to rent French house!! It is my bolt hole!!!

It seems to me you could halve your budget if you didn't take over other people's responsibilities.

It is true....I have been here before.....Its a long way from Provence to find a "companion"!! Not overly available at

my age in Aix!!!

living in france is more expensive than living in thailand (unless you want foie gras for every meal)

but living with a financially dependent girlfriend (and her kids) is obviously more expensive than being celibate

decisions based on ending/continuing romantic relationships are normally not based on financial calculations

it might be better to think this through more clearly after last night's red wine has worked it's way through your system

bonne chance!

i would guess that financial situations are quite prevelant in deciding to end relatioshsips - as such. in fact im sure ithey are. also, being without a paid girlfirend doesnt mean being celibate. quite the opposite.

just playing devils advocate here smile.png

maybe another way to think about is how much would it cost him to support a stay-at-home girlfriend (with 2 school age kids) in france...?

i agree some people allocate their love based solely on financial factors but i think there is normally more to a relationship than money

• Like 1

"Paid wife"

I'm so glad I no longer live in 'paradise'. Everything reduced toa commercial transaction, paying the locals to tolerate your presence.

Not so for everyone, but it does take time and two like minded people (eventually), the rewards thereafter are far far better than many of the alternatives.

• Like 1

why are you paying gf 20k. with her two kids, sounds like she should be paying you.

let her kids go to state school, its free.

let her provide her kids with pocket money.

not your responsibility.

just crazy.

My kids are going to a state school. It was free for a few of years before but this year it cost me approximately 20,000 baht for 2 kids total for 1 year

100 baht a day per kid and 20,000 baht for the wife for pocket money seems like a lot

• Like 1

if you dont want to phase out GF from the equation in France completely, i almost sure it will incur costs there too, dating isnt a zero sum game really, doesnt matter what one like to believe.

all you need is a new GF, most probably, with less financial needs attached?

I agree. It is not an "honest appraisal" if you consider a GF in Thailand and being celibate in France. If you really do. to have any housing expense in France and can grow your own food, France will be less expensive.... Unless you have a French GF.

My pennies worth. I have 2 kids with my wife.. I could not afford to have any reasonable lifestyle back in the UK. I di not pay my wufe a penny. Other than we have built a house. To put it into perspective for me if I did not have my wife I would be a bar hound and certainly spend a lot more than I do now.If you pay your wife 20 k a month then thsts whete the saving can come from. Be honest with yourself.

Pah!! send the lazy cow out to get a job, halve the pocket money and make them earn it sweeping floors washing cars, tidying up etc etc........honestly, he must be nuts!!

Edited by kannot

why are you paying gf 20k. with her two kids, sounds like she should be paying you.

let her kids go to state school, its free.

let her provide her kids with pocket money.

not your responsibility.

just crazy.

My kids are going to a state school. It was free for a few of years before but this year it cost me approximately 20,000 baht for 2 kids total for 1 year

100 baht a day per kid and 20,000 baht for the wife for pocket money seems like a lot

I have to say that. The children are receiving a bigger allowance. Then I did. Growing up in England, and the USA. My parents were not poor either!

This is only common sense, but try for a woman who is not for hire and does not have so much baggage.. There are many nice Thai women who work decent jobs and have no kids. Of course, you may need to be something other than a oaf to attract one.