Lovers of Thai "Elvis"?

mumjokmok

This is a sure-to-be-skimmed-over topic regarding the great Thai luk thung singer Surapol Sombatcharoen, known as the "Thai Elvis" to many back in the 50's and 60's. Given I was born much later known to me as almost certainly the one Thai artist (that I can recognise) whose music has been covered the most by singers and performers in the modern day. This is based on the study of sitting and listening to what music Thai's are listening to for long enough to get used to it.

"Your ear is itchy and you don't know what's wrong?"...

Anyone know of another contender to this claim? One can hear re-worked covers of Surapol hits on a daily basis, there appear to be literally dozens if not hundreds of versions of songs, the beat can vary based on the artist's choice of Khon Kaen-meets-Korean haircut, yet the lyrics tend to remain the same as the original, from what I can make out. I can't list examples but I just hear it everywhere.

Got Jakrapan is one handsome young Thai singer who reworked the full Surapol catalogue a few years back, the music a bit softer and slower than the raw original records, with a bit more midday tv swooning-housewife-style and a whole lotta nice. ( A girl bought it for me, I guess she was embarrassed by the vintage covers on my cd's, it was a lovely gesture but Khun Got is just too sweet and boyish for my cynical Western ears, and there is just no piano accordion guy tearing it up.)

Ood Forest is a very good modern day artist doing the original style of Surapol covers as a live stage show that you can find on dvd easily, should one really want to get the most of one's fascinations.

Has anyone out there watched the acclaimed Mon Rak Transistor? My absolute favourite Thai film from the year 2000 (?) following two lovers, the aspiring luk thung singer Paan and his sweetheart Sadow, and a host of other rather true to life characters including Paan's cane cutting buddy 'Peter'. The story is told well, the interaction between the characters is based on real life (no slapping or 'boing' sound effects) and I would recommend it to anyone looking to embrace a Thai film that you can understand and take seriously, and potentially find with good subtitles. This film is what led me to the music of Surapol Sombatcharoen.

I particularly enjoy listening to the records Yort Pleng, Pi Gair Laow, Mong and Leum Mai Long, they run well as albums and have a developed style of music that was considered somewhat groundbreaking at the time. There are hundreds of random Surapol cd's out there. When it comes to other luk thung singers (and I have maybe listened to twenty-odd different artists) I really only find Pongsri Woranuch, the lady with that special voice, matches it with Surapol for the feeling, and for getting the response from 20-somethings like you are talking about ancient history. Plern Promdance is another worth a listen. I don't understand all the lyrics but I appreciate the energy in the songs and being in Thailand it's good to find something uniquely local that you like. Get some serious stares too "What you, a farang, you like Surapol?". Seems I could woo someone's grandmother.

Anybody else listen to and enjoy the music Surapol Sombatcharoen?

Gotta be someone...

Oh and pronunciation, we are working on the 'football' rule for his first name.

Edited by metisdead
Thai language edited out of post. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language, except in the Thai language forum where Thai language is allowed.

My first visit to Bangkok was in 1973 when I unfortunately got caught up in the riots where the Democracy Monument now stands; however I remember the songs of this guy really well as they were being played there (and it seemed everywhere else). Five years after his death he was just as popular (from what I was told) as he was when alive.

I came back to live in Thailand the following year (first year of the new constitution – another story) now 40 years here - and I bought some decent hi-fi gear including a couple of Revox reel-to-reel tape decks. I remember as if yesterday, that the HiFi shop where I bought my set-up used his songs on the demo reels and I bought a couple of them which I played often.

Since that time barely a week goes by without hearing his music being played in one location or another; either the original soundtracks or covered by other artists. I often drive up to Ayutthaya and visit a favourite watering hole. Usually on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays the resident Thai piano player will do Surapol Sombatcharoen songs on request, as well as an impressive repertoire of Presley, Louis Armstrong, Fats Domino and current stuff etc.

Thanks for jogging the memory.

I have been reading TV since its inception. This is the first time I have replied. So, hello everyone.

Edited by LiveInHope