23 Jan 2014: Be prepared for bad traffic near Nimman/CMU

infernalman7

Words are already spreading among my Chiang Mai peers.

23 Jan 2014 is grand opening day of the Maya Mall on Huay Keaw/Nimmanhaemin Road.

It is also the day where the traffic would be closed off for the 1st Day CMU graduation ceremony.

Also, from 20-22 the area should also be quite crowded there would be rehearsal rounds for the graduation.

A new shopping centre opening. Gosh, how exciting coffee1.gif

And here I thought the topic was a heads up on the upcoming traffic chaos which I'm glad to be made aware of.

True. My comment was directed at the fact a new shopping centre was opening & half the world's population feels the need to be there. have lived in that area when just the graduation ceremony caused enough traffic problems.

Thanks for the advice.

I live on Suthep Rd and know Graduation causes hell for residents, car parking problems really ridiculous.

The traffic now on Nimman has got really bad and opening of the new shopping mall without any road improvements is not going to do anyone an advantage.

john

Those of us who live along Huey Kaew welcome another shopping option, especially having more English-language movies within walking distance. And during late January it should be safer to walk since the traffic will be at a dead stop along Huey Kaew.

The one disadvantage is that the song thaew drivers will merely laugh at you when you tell them your destination is along Huey Kaew. But, not to worry! The weather is great. My new exercise program is to ride a song thaew to CM Ram hospital -- the drivers don't mind going there -- walk thru the hospital, up the little soi behind the hospital, dart thru the basement of Kad Suan Kaew (always run into someone I know for a nice chat) and then onto Huey Kaew. Don't mind doing that now, but it's going to get really hot, long and boring when the weather gets warm.

Edited by NancyL

I wouldn't mind it either. If you've lived here in Thailand long enough you will realize that shopping malls cause only short-term nightmare. Long term people will still flock back to the "best" mall out there only.

It's great to have a Rimping near Huay Keaw/Nimman finally. A 5-star cinema complex is also a great addition to the neighborhood.

• Like 2