Where to stay/rent in Chiang Mai?

dagling

We are considering moving from Khon Kaen (Isaan) to Chiang Mai. We visited Chiang Mai several times over the years (vacation 3-4 days).

Want to rent a small house in a quiet setting, with great views of the mountains. At the same time it must not be far away from the city itself. 10-20 min. driving is acceptable.

Looking for houses in Bath Sold, but when one is not known, it is not easy to know the names of the different surrounding areas.

Anybody have any tips and advice?

Thank you,-)

Hang Dong is fairly cheap, close to town with close access to the airport, Airport Plaza shopping Mall, 2 BigC, a Macros and a Tescos. Houses from about 4/5k (older ones) - 10k for a newer one with a garden (3 beds likely) on a Moo bahn like Ban Kwan Wiang (i.e. has security, plenty of farangs but probably 70% Thai) - Ban Wan Tan (more farang less Thais, but still a mix) will be 12k+ probably (although bargains can be found as can the opposite of course). Yellow SongTaew in to town is for 20baht - about 10km - 17km (depending on part of Hang Dong). View on Doi Suthep of course. Free SongTaew from Mall to town too at set times.

Try to avoid flight path if you can (and plane noise causes you issue of course). Local farang pubs and eateries too.

Hang Dong is fairly cheap, close to town with close access to the airport, Airport Plaza shopping Mall, 2 BigC, a Macros and a Tescos. Houses from about 4/5k (older ones) - 10k for a newer one with a garden (3 beds likely) on a Moo bahn like Ban Kwan Wiang (i.e. has security, plenty of farangs but probably 70% Thai) - Ban Wan Tan (more farang less Thais, but still a mix) will be 12k+ probably (although bargains can be found as can the opposite of course). Yellow SongTaew in to town is for 20baht - about 10km - 17km (depending on part of Hang Dong). View on Doi Suthep of course. Free SongTaew from Mall to town too at set times.

Try to avoid flight path if you can (and plane noise causes you issue of course). Local farang pubs and eateries too.

I live in this area too and I couldn't agree more...perfect description Wolf :)

OP, you can probably find good area in Mae Rim too, surely nicer surroundings, but definitely more expensive and a bit farther.