curiosity the wai

hellodolly

^^ Do you know ... between the 3 4 of us we have 35 60,000 posts.

I reckon we've nailed this Wai conundrum.

Oh ... for those interested ... this is the Aussie Wai ... thumbsup.gif

Tywais ... dry.png almost late to the party.

Edited by David48

David48, on 06 Jan 2014 - 12:37, said:

# 2 wai wai2.gif under Thai Visa Posting Rules only to be used by those members who have a Certified Hi-So Chinese Thai wife.

The other ... wai.gif can be used by commoners like myself.

Always, confused with Thai Visa rules!

Another commoner.wai.gif

• Like 1

What about 3, 4 and 5........ from the nod of the head, with smile...........to the full Monty, full bow,head down hand together above the head. Each has a place and are learned from an early age.

I don't pretend to be an authority by any mean on the subject, I have the basics. One thing I learn early on.....Don't Wai bar girls, doorman anyone that provides a service......to show respect back simple nod slightly and smile......If you do more you just look a bit dumb, not respectful.

Bottom line, Thais know instinctively which Wai to do...and who to do it too.

# 2 wai wai2.gif under Thai Visa Posting Rules only to be used by those members who have a Certified Hi-So Chinese Thai wife.

The other ... wai.gif can be used by commoners like myself.

But wai2.gif is a lot more inconvenient specially if you have troubles finding the hat.

• Like 1

The 2nd one is the Japanese wai. I temporarily removed it due to complaints that the BBCode not being PC and racist but added it back under a different BBCode name.

Glad to see that at least one person here knows what they are doing.

The 2nd one is the Japanese wai. I temporarily removed it due to complaints that the BBCode not being PC and racist but added it back under a different BBCode name.

w00t.gif Someone complained that it is called "Japanese Wai"? Very strange....

w00t.gif Someone complained that it is called "Japanese Wai"? Very strange....

No, the BBCode was the 1st three letters of Japanese which some found offensive.

coffee1.gif

Well yes it is maybe a bit dry reading for some but I could just not hold my curiosity any longer so I asked.

It has been interesting . As one poster mentioned it would be interesting to know the meaning of all of them. Not just a general knowledge. Now I take coffee1.gif to mean boring but interesting enough to read.

It would be interesting to know what was the TV thinking behind each one of them.

Also of topic but why they did not put a that's funny button up there.wai.gif

Here's how it works in Khmer culture; in my casual observations from my time spent in Thailand, it's pretty close here. All are from the perspective of the one doing the wai-ing:

1. Folded hands at chest-level: for those the same age as you or younger, or those of equal or lower status to you (note, however, that in general, as another poster noted, one does NOT return a wai to service staff, children--unless you're consciously instructing them on how to wai--or those of status much lower than your own, in normal social situations. However, adult teachers do return the wais of adult students, using the chest-level method, but only after the student has wai'ed first. In highly formal settings, wais from social inferiors are also returned...but again, the person of lower status always has to initiate.

2. Folded hands at mouth level: for those a few years older than you, or clearly higher in status, including, say, your boss at work.

3. Folded hands at nose level: for your parents or of your parents age or older; for your teacher.

4. Folded hands at eye level: for monks and people of very high status or old age to which you want to show extra respect.

5. Folded hands at forehead level: for royalty, Buddha images, and Hindu gods, if the latter should happen to appear to you. Also recommended for soldiers who have their guns trained on you, or similarly life-threatening situations (I'm not joking here).

In some situations--including for royalty--the folded hands may go above the head as well.

As I said, these are the Khmer standards, which I know well...I'm pretty sure they're quite close for Thai culture, but others with more experience may prove me wrong.

One other thing: to show TOO much respect to someone by wai-ing them with the hands held too high (inappropriately high for their status vis-a-vis yours) can be just as insulting as not showing enough respect, it all depends on the social situation and your relationship with the person. For instance, friends may jokingly wai each other with their folded hands over the head. In extreme emotional situations, the folded hands may go higher than what I've indicated here as well (such as, but not limited to, my armed soldier comment above).

so if I am stuck in the washing machine I know how to greet the firefighters...

• Like 1

Could be difficult if it is on spin cycle.

• Like 1

... cheesy.gif

h90 ... wai.gif