Alternatives to Pai

Chicog

It's amazing how many people 'hear' that pai is 'ruined' or no longer any good! There can be few places like it, and it remains a superlative place to spend time.

Instead of looking for other places, why not try going to pai yourself to see if it has been 'ruined' as you've heard? Hire a bicycle or motorbike and go riding around the hills and valley. Then decide for yourself if it's been ruined. Pai remains a natural wonderland and is filled with creative souls getting the most out of life.

For chiang mai people it remains a top quality getaway from town for a few nights when one has the time.

Totally agree.You just need to be selective about when you go like avoiding Thai holidays/Christmas?new Year etc.Of course this is a selfish point of view for us retirees but maybe we have earned that right to pick and choose our time. Hiring a motor cycle and doing the loop around the hills is a great way to spend a day. There are some very good restaurants and a decent walking street night market.

I really don't see any negatives

Is it likely to be rammed or empty in the week before Songkran?

Be the guinea pig and get back to us all with your reports!

But what is it with pai and expecting the place to be busy? It will be in the town, but if you find a good resort outside of the town anywhere in the valley you'd hardly know anybody else was there. There are so many walks that you can go on that no farang ever seems to find, and the only person you'll see will be a local farmer or pig hunter or whatever.

In addition, just before the new year there were heaps of people in the town, all along the walking streets. But the bottom road which has mainly bars and some long-standing eating places was pretty much normal, ie nice and sabai and chilled.

The only time pai valley becomes too busy is when the roads are full of cars making cycling or motorbiking a much less pleasant experience in terms of appreciating the scenery. But to my knowledge this only really happens at the new year, and maybe some long weekends when there's a public hoiiday on friday or monday. I don't know about songkran, never been around that time. So, like i say, take a trip up there and get back to us!

The Pai valley is most beautiful in the wet season. Lush & green. I imagine now it's quite brown & dry, unless December rains prolonged the green season. Passed through before NY & looked a tad dry...

That's the obvious beauty, and an undeniably stunning beauty it is. But even now, with a more hazy browner pai the beauty is still there, just a bit more subtle!

The Pai valley is most beautiful in the wet season. Lush & green. I imagine now it's quite brown & dry, unless December rains prolonged the green season. Passed through before NY & looked a tad dry...

That's the obvious beauty, and an undeniably stunning beauty it is. But even now, with a more hazy browner pai the beauty is still there, just a bit more subtle!

Turner the artist would love it if he was still around...

Be the guinea pig and get back to us all with your reports!

But what is it with pai and expecting the place to be busy? It will be in the town, but if you find a good resort outside of the town anywhere in the valley you'd hardly know anybody else was there. There are so many walks that you can go on that no farang ever seems to find, and the only person you'll see will be a local farmer or pig hunter or whatever.

In addition, just before the new year there were heaps of people in the town, all along the walking streets. But the bottom road which has mainly bars and some long-standing eating places was pretty much normal, ie nice and sabai and chilled.

The only time pai valley becomes too busy is when the roads are full of cars making cycling or motorbiking a much less pleasant experience in terms of appreciating the scenery. But to my knowledge this only really happens at the new year, and maybe some long weekends when there's a public hoiiday on friday or monday. I don't know about songkran, never been around that time. So, like i say, take a trip up there and get back to us!

I've got no interest in it, it's for some friends who want somewhere nice for a chill out.

Empty - even the locals who can will be gone. The smoke is usually worse than around CM due to the narrow confines of the valley. And the water throwing craziness extends at least a week before and after Songkran day.