Phuket radio presenter, DJ Doris, dies in road accident

Lite Beer

Phuket radio presenter, DJ Doris, dies in road accident

Jody Houton

1389506121_1.jpg

PHUKET: Popular Phuket DJ Paul Norris, also known as DJ Doris to his Phuket 91.5 FM listeners, was hit by a taxi and died in the early hours of this morning (Sunday).

It is believed that Mr Norris collided with an airport taxi driver at around 2am this morning and was hit from his motorbike as he was making the right turn at the Naka Market intersection.

As traffic lights flash amber at this time of the night, there may have been confusion as to whose right of way it was.

A spokesman at 91.5 FM told The Phuket News this morning that they felt like they had 'lost a family member and were deeply saddened by the news'.

Mr Norris moved from his native Scotland twelve years ago, and, along with Byron Jones MD of 91.5 FM, founded the radio station in 2008. He became a very popular Phuket broadcaster and presented both the breakfast and afternoon shows at different times throughout his career.

Mr Norris also had a serious road accident in June of last year and was put on a life support machine overnight for injuries he sustained while attempting to navigate the pot holes behind Jungceylon. He returned to Scotland soon after for a 'two month sabbatical', and returned to Phuket and the radio station in October 2013.

Police are continuing their investigation and are interviewing witnesses including the taxi passengers.

More details to come when they become available.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-radio-presenter-dj-doris-dies-in-road-accident-43969.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-01-12

Very sad. RIP.

I am never again getting on a "motorbike" in Thailand. It has far too many road deaths per capita, and 80+% of them are on motorbikes. In an accident you just can't compete with a car or pickup.

Riding a bike in the day is fine but I gave up riding at night.

The drunk and tired are killing everyone.

I can't believe Paul died in this way... I really can't believe it...
Too many road accidents, Phuket municipality and police should do something serious for this problems, instead of setting up hundred of check points to collect money from tourists. Let's put more check points at night time instead, or speed check machines.
Traffic lights are blinking everywhere, daytime and nighttime.
Crazy bus and mini van drivers, ridiculous test drive to get a licence... It's enough!!

• Like 1

RIP

Did he wear a helmet ? He survived another accident in 2012, driving at night , especially in the early morning hours is very dangerous and you need to stay focused all the time.

RIP

Did he wear a helmet ? He survived another accident in 2012, driving at night , especially in the early morning hours is very dangerous and you need to stay focused all the time.

Another source says a taxi driver has been charged with reckless driving .[as is normal proceedure] .but also states that Paul was making a right turn when hit..sadly, this is possibly his mistake

Kudos to him for apparently wearing a helmet but that doesn't always prevent death xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.gBNm0PzB6t.webp

does any body know if there is right of way in the absence of lights ,traffic signs .......

I didn't find nothing on internet.

Most countries it is the vehicle comming from the right has priority to the vehicle comming from the left.

Is it also like this in Thailand?(since many crossroads have no signs.)

does any body know if there is right of way in the absence of lights ,traffic signs .......

Most countries it is the vehicle comming from the right has priority to the vehicle comming from the left.

I believe the law is give way to the right. At that time of night with little or no traffic the taxi was most likely speeding over the limit & if so poor old Paul would not have stood a chance. A great character, I enjoyed his banter & had the pleasure to be on live in the studio with him a couple of times. I will miss him on the airwaves & as a genuine nice bloke. RIP Paul.

I can't believe Paul died in this way... I really can't believe it...

Too many road accidents, Phuket municipality and police should do something serious for this problems, instead of setting up hundred of check points to collect money from tourists. Let's put more check points at night time instead, or speed check machines.

Traffic lights are blinking everywhere, daytime and nighttime.

Crazy bus and mini van drivers, ridiculous test drive to get a licence... It's enough!!

It's not even a test drive to get a licence; once around the test centre car park and a reverse into a bay and Bob's your uncle, you have a licence! This without venturing onto the public highway!!

The way i read it [and stand to be corrected here] is that the taxi was comming from the airport ie going south and Paul going north turned to the right at the intersection,so he sadly turned in front of the car going straight ahead...if so , it appears he was at fault...sad.png

Was really shocked when I heard about his death

I am really going to miss Paul's bright bubbly informative banter on 91.5

Hope that Big Guy in the sky has a few drams of the real good stuff awaiting for him

My condolences to his loved ones and all the crew at 91.5RM

• Like 1

Most countries where that applies drive on the right. In Thailand we drive on the left. There in fact is no set law. You should slow and even stop at all unmarked crossings, including those under a flashing amber. But hey! Most Thais don't even stop under a red light.

Way too many motorcycle deaths in this country.

As another poster said, I hope the big yin in the sky had a braw wee dram waiting for Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I always force my wife to wear the high visibility jacket I brought from the UK. She hates it, but I do insist on it when she is out at night.

RIP DJ Doris. You served us well.

Simple but great idea....these jackets are available at places like Homepro & DIY stores...really cheap!

Sorry to hear DJ Doris had gone this way. I imagine that the radio wages he was on perhaps didn’t justify the means to buy or rent a car which in hindsight could have perhaps contributed to saving his life.

• Like 1

Mods please remove MK1 post . And for good measure ban him.

Total disgrace of a post

Not meant in bad taste, just a fact of life, he deserved a better quality of life being leading celebrity on the island.

I am going to allow that post. Initially I removed, but given the follow up post I have reinstated.

Perhaps I have been affected by a photo my wife showed me in a Thai web site just a few minutes ago. It was most shocking to me, photo of the body and graphic damage to body. I am not giving any link details out respect to the family and friends, and please do not post up here as I will remove. A bit of respect please.

• Like 2

Total disgrace of a post

Not meant in bad taste, just a fact of life, he deserved a better quality of life being leading celebrity on the island.

Fair enough, but you probably could have worded it better.

..also please consider that a lot of people ,myself included choose to ride a motorcycle for a variety of reasons, nothing to do with financial situation or celebrity status...there is a huge amount of pleasure riding a bike for a lot of people...

• Like 2

it makes no difference what the law is if nobody knows what the law is , this is the ultimate price paid for "buying" a license ,.............a lack of educated drivers

I'm sitting here absolutely heartbroken, like many people i was great mates with Paul, in fact i was talking to Paul at about 11ish last night, Paul was beaming talking about his breakfast show and how he was feeling great, truly one of the saddest day for me, a great character on the island, he'll be such a miss and i'll personally miss him.

• Like 2

Total disgrace of a post

Oh please, then you would have to ban over half of ThaiVisa for possessing the neo-Sahib mentality, and George would not want that to happen.

(Disclaimer: Never met the man and have not been to Phuket since 1982.)