and the baht gained today WTF?

traders expected bad things to happen in Thailand...

baht weakened because that common fear...

reality turns out not that bad, baht gained...

i think this sums it up enough.

Spot on. And tomorrow is another day.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

The money changers are watching the protest situation closely, and so far, there has been no significant violence, which bodes well for a peaceful simmering down of tensions. If these well-moneyed minions saw blood flowing in the streets and tanks moving in, then it would be a different story. Worse, if they foresaw a civil war in the offing, the baht would really tank.

The broader picture is despite all its warts, Thailand has a well-diversified economy, with a solid foundation in agriculture, manufacturing and tourism, with low labor costs and a reasonably well-trained and disciplined work force. How many advanced developing countries (Thailand is considered an "advanced developing country") can claim the same things ?

The money changers are watching the protest situation closely, and so far, there has been no significant violence, which bodes well for a peaceful simmering down of tensions. If these well-moneyed minions saw blood flowing in the streets and tanks moving in, then it would be a different story. Worse, if they foresaw a civil war in the offing, the baht would really tank.

The broader picture is despite all its warts, Thailand has a well-diversified economy, with a solid foundation in agriculture, manufacturing and tourism, with low labor costs and a reasonably well-trained and disciplined work force. How many advanced developing countries (Thailand is considered an "advanced developing country") can claim the same things ?

How quaint that you use the term money changers. One detects a little hidden agenda behind that one. Thailand's peculiar political issues are a significant factor overlaying the economy and the issue of corruption in the body politic impact directly on the bottom line as well as the top line (I hope I am not losing you here) and so when one merely considers how the rice scheme has turned out both politically and economically and Thailand's vulnerability to losing competitive advantage in just this one area, the loss in the baht of ~ 20% has a number of different aspects, but those laughably lined up with Thaksin against the 'elites' will not be persuaded.

Yep, nothing came of the hype

That you cannot assume as the weeks unfold, but the baht rate has rowed back from a previously anticipated situation. Its not unusual as Tom Jones might sing.

54.4 to 53.7 is a big gain!

Currencies move depending on various factors and if you are comparing THB to GBP, then you must also look what happened to lower the GBP!!?? Chancellor Osborne told the markets yesterday that even if Scotland decides to split from the rest of the UK, he, i.e. the rest of the UK will still guarantee Scotland's debt!!! Given the fact that the UK is JUST coming out of it's financial problems and still has big debt of it's own, the markets (in this case the Credit Agencies), got a bit nervous and lowered the Pound!!!

That you cannot assume as the weeks unfold, but the baht rate has rowed back from a previously anticipated situation. Its not unusual as Tom Jones might sing.

Not assuming anyting as irrelant to me as live here and paid in THB......just thinking of Expats that were hoping of a big gain yesterday that didnt happen. Have seen the coups, airport closures over the past 10 years and realise it dosnt particulary affect the XE

How quaint that you use the term money changers. One detects a little hidden agenda behind that one. Thailand's peculiar political issues are a significant factor overlaying the economy and the issue of corruption in the body politic impact directly on the bottom line as well as the top line (I hope I am not losing you here) and so when one merely considers how the rice scheme has turned out both politically and economically and Thailand's vulnerability to losing competitive advantage in just this one area, the loss in the baht of ~ 20% has a number of different aspects, but those laughably lined up with Thaksin against the 'elites' will not be persuaded.

I am merely stating something as "politically neutral" as possible; I am not a "money changer" but I do pay attention to the financial markets, as they can sift through the BS during times like these. I am just looking at price movements in the context of the current situation. Generally, but certainly not always, markets tend to look at things objectively. To look at a situation from a political point of view is highly subjective and prone to serious miscalculations. This is not to say markets can't be manipulated. But it has been my observations going back decades that when market manipulation occurs, eventually basic economic laws take hold and correct the manipulation, much to the chagrin and financial loss to those who subscribe to such manipulation and accept it as truth.

Not assuming anyting as irrelant to me as live here and paid in THB......just thinking of Expats that were hoping of a big gain yesterday that didnt happen. Have seen the coups, airport closures over the past 10 years and realise it dosnt particulary affect the XE

No it didn't happen. That's for sure. Mind you expats should be reasonably happy with a 20% bounce after earlier wailing not so long ago that the pound was into free fall towards 40. They tend to think that all traffic is one-way until it reverses and then they think all the traffic is going the other way. And so on.

• Like 1

Spot on. And tomorrow is another day.

Correct - Traders had already factored in 'violent clashes', but as they have not really happened yet, there is a small correction