Outdoor "fun" Activity for P6

SkyRider

when i was in grade 9 ( that was out first year learning English, our NES teacher show us basic baseball ( he was American).

that time little was known about this game in my country, just changing from the communism...

it was fun enough :)

you can use soccer for that matter, if that is closer to you, Thai kids seem to like it, even girls tell me they do, easy enough to show/play either, and can in class get the corresponding vocabulary too, easily.

i would think little to non preparation needed in your side biggrin.png

when i was in grade 9 ( that was out first year learning English, our NES teacher show us basic baseball ( he was American).

that time little was known about this game in my country, just changing from the communism...

it was fun enough smile.png

you can use soccer for that matter, if that is closer to you, Thai kids seem to like it, even girls tell me they do, easy enough to show/play either, and can in class get the corresponding vocabulary too, easily.

i would think little to non preparation needed in your side biggrin.png

Interesting that you said that, because I am American, and one of my first thoughts was to teach them how to play baseball. I don't have a baseball, a bat, or gloves. I suppose I could try to improvise that. I'm a little concerned that baseball vocabulary would probably not prepare them much for everyday conversation.

so, soccer then?

really, Thai seem to love Premier League, Man. U., etc.

and what you need should be readily there for it in the school.

anyway, fun outdoor day can be without deep meaningful vocabulary...

you see, after 24 yrs i still remember THAT class, and i am sure i forgot about most other particulars...:)

so, soccer then?

really, Thai seem to love Premier League, Man. U., etc.

and what you need should be readily there for it in the school.

anyway, fun outdoor day can be without deep meaningful vocabulary...

you see, after 24 yrs i still remember THAT class, and i am sure i forgot about most other particulars...smile.png

I don't remember the rules for soccer - they can teach me :P

You're right, a fun outdoor activity can be without deep meaningful vocabulary. Maybe I'll do baseball. Thank you smile.png

Edited by SkyRider

Cell phone treasure hunt! Put them in groups of 4 or something, have a list of ten things (a blue flower, a math teacher or whatevers - its your school, you know it), give them a little white board and however many markers you need (i use laminated mario characters), then send them off to scamper away. When they find number 1 on the list, they take a picture, come back and show you. If its correct, you give them number 2 on the list. First team to climb the ladder to princess peach (or whatevers!) is the winners! Rewards all round! :)

Stupidly easy, only caveats:

1. You need to sort of trust them to be able to stay on school grounds and not get into bother/disrupt other classes. or you need to make sure everything is in view (along with the kids).

2. They need a phone or some camera device.

3. Youll need a spot of prep, or a means to wing it at short notice. :)

Put them into nice looking boy scout uniforms and teach them break dance. ( But you'll have to show them how to do the head part)

That will work well for P.6. If you're female, please dress as shown on photograph. At least all boys will listen to you. Even the naughty ones..well, also the girls...

Mine are always wearing their boy-scout uniforms now. 24/7.-coffee1.gif

post-108180-0-56465100-1389743027_thumb.

Edited by sirchai

Oooh oooh! another one. MEGA SIMPLE:

Get them to write down a-z on 26 lines (a on top line, z at the bottom).

Send them out on their merry way with a small pocket dictionary or mobile dictionary or electronic dictionary or whatever...

Have them find one object for each letter.

They can ONLY write down something they can see (or prove).

Seems amazingly simple... and is... but once they get to j, q, x, and z it all gets a bit more imaginative and nebulous. X, i admit is a beast. If theyre smart one of them will eventually try xerox (since i usually photocopy the paper), the rest will immediately copy them... but if its dragging out a bit let them pick a word with x in it. Ban colors and names or demand 5 adjectives or 10 verbs or whatever you want and youre good to go. Outdoor shenanigans, plus theyll all probably stay in sight. smile.png

Only proviso: Probably need a bit of a motivated class and some dictionaries to go around if they cant use their phones.

Edited by inutil
  • Like 2

So .... what activity did you chose and how did it go ?

I created my own activity - I called it Write a Story. I told them that they could use any grammar they want - pronouns, adjectives, verbs, conjunctions, punctuation marks, etc.. But, the nouns could only be from vocabulary that they found in the school yard. I put them into groups of 4. After they wrote, I had one person from each group read their stories. I only have this class once a week, this Wednesday, I'll take their stories, correct the grammar, and give them advice on how they can make the writing smoother.