Are there any organized ex-pat groups in the Krabi/Ao Nang area?

buddhaland

Help! I am a 66 year old man from Seattle, WA. I moved to Thailand in November 2013, and am currently living in Ao Nang. After two months here I am thinking of relocating to somewhere like Hua Hin, Phuket, Chiang Mai or Ko Samui, where there seem to be lots of organized ex-pat groups and activities. Other than my neighbors in the complex of bungalows where I am living, I have not had much luck connecting with folks I can just hang out with. I don't yet speak much Thai, and am not interested in the bar girl scene anyway, so connecting with Thais has been very slow going. I am starting to feel pretty isolated, something I hadn't anticipated - and am hoping there are folks out there that I can hook up with. Any ideas or suggestions? I have also looked into volunteer work, which would be a very satisfactory option - but everything I have found on line is the "pay to volunteer" variety, which isn't in my budget. Another glitch: I have a TESOL ESL teaching certification, but have found that teachers of my age are not much in demand. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Hua Hin much better place to live IMHO...even thou I dont live there anymore.

Ao Nang is a sh”t hole, streets are filthy the locals are very aggressive and not nice at all (serious attitude problems) plus lots of crime that is never reported as there is no serious news outlet or newspaper.

I have lived in many provinces across Thailand and Krabi is for me the worst, stayed AoNang a couple of years and felt like I had been reborn when I moved

Power drop outs all the time for HOURS at time , Internet cuts out frequently

Footpaths are all full of holes etc main road is like a race track totally unsafe place

Most places are overpriced with terrible service (there are some ok but very very few)

Why learn Thai unless you want to frequent Thai places? …plenty of English speaking Thais in Hua Hin anyway

Ao Nang for me is the place you live if you are terminal with only months to live

I lived in Ao Nang for 6 years from 1999, it used to be a good place where the ex pats knew each other. Just came back from a holiday and its not the same, its quite horrible now. Cars everywhere, franchises everywhere, MacDonalds is double the price than anywhere else(popped in once for a quick cheeseburger just for the taste, walked straight out at 80b for a cheeseburger).

Pop down to the street stall bar about 50 meters from beach on the right hand side sort of opposite the police station but down a bit passed the Irish Rover turning, towards the beach and there you will find Dr Cock's(pee Beer) beer stall, where a few Expats go for people watching and cheap drink. He puts out a load of plastic stalls to sit on,I don't think his a legal bar but its good entertainment for an hour or so.

get a GF and you will have all the drama & adventury every day, even more you can handle... its like a thai soap but in real...

what did you expect , disneyland ?

oh there is pattaya that will suit your needs than ... disneyland for adults, but the rides are much better

• 4 weeks later...

I think, the best advise is: learn thai! :-) I couldn't imagine my life in a foreign country without speaking the local language. Than the world will open for you. :-)

I learned to speak Thai.

The Thai world closed in when I realised what the Thais talked about.

Helps with day to day stuff, but really, it is like being on a different planet. I have met Thais at lots of different levels, all they are interested in is their own parochial view of the universe, which barely extends out of their front gates.

That is no basis for any conversation.

Hua Hin much better place to live IMHO...even thou I dont live there anymore.

Ao Nang is a sh”t hole, streets are filthy the locals are very aggressive and not nice at all (serious attitude problems) plus lots of crime that is never reported as there is no serious news outlet or newspaper.

I have lived in many provinces across Thailand and Krabi is for me the worst, stayed AoNang a couple of years and felt like I had been reborn when I moved

Power drop outs all the time for HOURS at time , Internet cuts out frequently

Footpaths are all full of holes etc main road is like a race track totally unsafe place

Most places are overpriced with terrible service (there are some ok but very very few)

Why learn Thai unless you want to frequent Thai places? …plenty of English speaking Thais in Hua Hin anyway

Ao Nang for me is the place you live if you are terminal with only months to live

Ao Nang IS NOT Krabi!!! Krabi is by far the most beautiful province in Thailand and for sure among the most beautiful areas on Earth, as long as you stay away from few well known places (ao nang, koh phi phi...)

Sent via the app thingy

• Like 2