Looking for a large Givi brand rear box for motor cycle

FolkGuitar

Title says it all. Doesn't have to be Givi brand, but something of equal quality, and large enough to hold a full face helmet plus rain gear, etc.

I'd prefer to buy it in the Chiang Mai area. Not interested in going up to Chiang Rai for one.

It needs to be:

1. Waterproof

2. Lockable

3. Large enough

4. Detachable

Any suggestions where I can purchase this? I know there are some shops on Chiang Moi Rd, but I don't think they sell quality brands.

Thanks.

Don't go with CooCase, I have one and am very disappointed with the quality.

Thanks for that. I've had two different brands of rear boxes now and neither were of the quality of a Givi or similar European brands. That's why this time I'm specifically shopping brand names... I'm just as happy to learn which ones NOT to buy as to learn where to get the better ones! Thanks again!

There is an accessory place on the road from the south west corner of the moat that goes to Pantip Plaza. Its a fair way along and way before the gecko pub. It has a lot of helmets on display out front but inside its a treasure trove. Givi are stocked and good price. LS2 flip up helmets too. Try there.

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OK! Perfect! Thanks, guys.

Got it on GoogleMap street view... Know just where you mean! I'll hit there first thing this morning when they open.

Ideally, I'd love to find a box large enough for two helmets, but I'll be happy enough if it can hold one full face plus rain gear etc.

Yes it doesnt look much from the outside, but boy do they have some kit. The owner speaks very good English and helpful too. When I got my Givi top box he even helped put it on (i.e he went down the road to get some extra bolts and an angle grinder to cut others shorter).

He was saying that he also has a sister shop on Ching Puak road, Zeromet I thinks its called. His wife runs that shop. Good supply of boots, helmets, jackets and other bike gear. Very reasonable prices.

I just wish I had opted for a slightly larger box.... I can fit my full face helmet in the current one but very little room for anything else. My raincoat goes into the helmet for it to fit into the box together, just a minor annoyance. My fault....should have taken the larger one he recommended facepalm.gif

Yes it doesnt look much from the outside, but boy do they have some kit. The owner speaks very good English and helpful too. When I got my Givi top box he even helped put it on (i.e he went down the road to get some extra bolts and an angle grinder to cut others shorter).

He was saying that he also has a sister shop on Ching Puak road, Zeromet I thinks its called. His wife runs that shop. Good supply of boots, helmets, jackets and other bike gear. Very reasonable prices.

I just wish I had opted for a slightly larger box.... I can fit my full face helmet in the current one but very little room for anything else. My raincoat goes into the helmet for it to fit into the box together, just a minor annoyance. My fault....should have taken the larger one he recommended facepalm.gif

He installed the rear rack on my bike, then installed the Givi mounting plate, demonstrated how the box detached (I already knew from having Givi on other bikes I've owned, but he was having so much fun explaining and joking that I hated to interrupt him!) and not only didn't charge for the installation labor, he gave me a good discount on the price of the box AND the rack!

I bought the 45-liter box. I've had smaller ones in the past, but always complained afterwards that I 'should have bought bigger!' Who says size doesn't matter? I can fit two large full-face helmets into this box, or one plus some shopping bags. I'm satisfied! This will be the shop I'll use from now on. I've been in what I assume is the sister shop on Chiang Puak, and it too carries a full line of good quality gear but I didn't remember seeing any large rear boxes there. Good to know that we have some quality in Chiang Mai, and don't have to rely upon Big C for kit!

Hi DavidMavec,

Sorry to know that you're very disappointed with Coocase quality, but so far as we know most if not all of our customer are a happy customer of Coocase.

I sincerely hope you can let us know how is the quality or issue that you had with your Coocase so we can inform our factory and improve on the product quality and customer service as well.

All our product come with warranty and I look forward to your visit to our showroom again and let us fix the problem for you. By the way can you let us know which model of Coocase you purchase and what is the problem you encounter? Or please upload a photo of your bike and Coocase so we can see what's the quality problem.

If you face some problem with our local Thai staff, please do drop me a message in our fan page and I'll attend to you personally.

Thanks & Best Regards

Coocase Bouqitue Showroom

https://www.facebook.com/coocasethailand

Hi DavidMavec,

I've just send you a PM with my mobile number, hope can get in touch with you to get your Coocase check and fix if there's quality issue. If it's due to factory fault, we'll replace a new Coocase for you at no cost.

I remember viewing from our shop camera that there're 2 customer who come around new year period 30 or 31 Dec and only my new lady staff in shop alone (can't speak English too well and just 2 weeks working in shop), someone come to fix his Coocase not sure what problem and she trying to explain our technician are on leave and will be back on 2 Jan.......but unfortunately she's not smart enough to ask for customer contact number and name hence I cannot follow up with that customer to know what's the problem with his Coocase.

I'm not sure are you that customer who came around year end? But in any case please call, sms or PM me to attend to your case. We at Coocase will always want to see a happy returning customer that satisfy with our product. wai2.gif

Hi DavidMavec,

Sorry to know that you're very disappointed with Coocase quality, but so far as we know most if not all of our customer are a happy customer of Coocase.

I sincerely hope you can let us know how is the quality or issue that you had with your Coocase so we can inform our factory and improve on the product quality and customer service as well.

All our product come with warranty and I look forward to your visit to our showroom again and let us fix the problem for you. By the way can you let us know which model of Coocase you purchase and what is the problem you encounter? Or please upload a photo of your bike and Coocase so we can see what's the quality problem.

If you face some problem with our local Thai staff, please do drop me a message in our fan page and I'll attend to you personally.

Thanks & Best Regards
Coocase Bouqitue Showroom

https://www.facebook.com/coocasethailand

Thanks for that. I've had two different brands of rear boxes now and neither were of the quality of a Givi or similar European brands. That's why this time I'm specifically shopping brand names... I'm just as happy to learn which ones NOT to buy as to learn where to get the better ones! Thanks again!

I bought a CooCase 40 liter box with the light on the back in the beginning of September, 2013 from the shop in Chiang Mai. I spoke with the Singaporean owner at length as he promoted his boxes to me and he seemed like a nice guy. Also in the shop were either his brother in law or son in law, I can't remember the relationship, who is Thai and another male staff member.

I moved to Bangkok soon after buying it.

By the end of September, the lock was totally jammed. I took it to a professional locksmith who fixed it for me for 100 baht. The box components needed to be taken apart to fix the lock and neither the locksmith nor the Honda shop in BKK could put it back together so I sent the box back to the brother/son-in law at CooCase in Chiang Mai, another 300 baht.

They put the box back together and sent it back to me. The CooCase workers left the key in the lock when sending it back to me and it was bent 90 degrees in the keyhole. I was able to pull it out after some effort fortunately and to my luck it did not damage the lock.

Still, no reason to have a hissy fit, sometimes parts are defective; to their credit they fixed it quickly and sent it back to me.

I put the box on the bike again and the light does not come on. I call the brother/son-in law and he tells me he will send me a new light and I can take it to the repair shop and have it installed. I waited over a week, nothing arrives in the mail for me, and so I call CooCase again. He tells me "Oh sorry, we have been too busy with work. We'll send it tomorrow" OK, no big deal, this is Thailand. (The light never arrived by the way, they claim to have sent it to me but the post office returned it to them. If this is true, I wonder why this happened because I already received something from them at my address... could it be they carelessly wrote my address wrong on the package?)

During the time I was waiting, the internal screw connected to the plastic strip which stabilizes the two parts of the box falls off. I screw it back on several times but it keeps falling off. It does not hold more than a few days.

Next problem: somehow after a month or so of riding my bike with it on the box shifts forward when it is mounted so it is over the seat, meaning I have to remove the box every time I fill up for gas... rather annoying.

All of these things to me were actually no big deal to me at this time, the box is just low quality... I wasn't upset, I just wanted these problems to get fixed.

A week or so later I ride my bike up to Chiang Mai to visit a friend and also to go to the CooCase shop. I called three different days and asked to speak to the Singaporean owner and to meet him at the shop but they refused to let me talk to him and said he would not be coming in.

Finally, the day before I was to return to Bangkok, I went in to the shop and only the son/brother-in-law and his co-worker were there. The incident I then had with the son/brother in law and the other staff member is why I am writing this in a public forum and airing my grievances. They were about as rude and disrespectful as one could be to another person, especially a customer. They blamed me for the problems with the box, telling me I used it wrong and it was my fault (this doesn't make any sense, I used it exactly the way I was supposed to, never dropped it, never abused it in any fashion). It was clear they were very angry with me and wanted me to go away quickly. I told them that really I wanted to deal with this situation with the owner but since he was not there and I was returning to Bangkok the next day, if they could give me a new box. They agreed and I returned them the old one... hope they didn't sell it again!

This new box has less problems than the first one so far... after two months, the light has stopped working and the box mount has shifted forward, requiring me to take the box off when I fill up for gas. Minor inconveniences and safety issues, at least I can still lock it!

Good feedback Dave. Its not often one hears the good things about quality products but we sure hear when things aren't right. I would think that retailers should know this. I hope in this instance coocase take note.

The owner of the shop that both FolkGuitar and I have made purchases at, has the right attitude and good products.

I guess when others read this forum, they will take note and vote with their feet/wallets. smile.png

Bad press is never good for business, but good business will never get bad press.

Initially I thought the coocase looked good and after all the advertising was tempted to get one, however Im very happy with the small Givi I finally went with and the service from the shop was fantastic.

Cheers again Dave clap2.gif

Thanks Dave for the effort in writing this and allowing me to know this incident. This really surprise me as no other customer who use a S40 face such problem until now. But to me the problem is not just about product but more is on the customer service how we handle a customer complaint.

I'll check and investigate this on Monday with them to know their side of story, and if this is as per what you have mention in forum, I give you my most sincere apologise and also a full refund plus courier fee what you've send the product to our shop.

Let me get back to you on Monday..

Best Regards

Coocase

I bought a CooCase 40 liter box with the light on the back in the beginning of September, 2013 from the shop in Chiang Mai. I spoke with the Singaporean owner at length as he promoted his boxes to me and he seemed like a nice guy. Also in the shop were either his brother in law or son in law, I can't remember the relationship, who is Thai and another male staff member.

I moved to Bangkok soon after buying it.

By the end of September, the lock was totally jammed. I took it to a professional locksmith who fixed it for me for 100 baht. The box components needed to be taken apart to fix the lock and neither the locksmith nor the Honda shop in BKK could put it back together so I sent the box back to the brother/son-in law at CooCase in Chiang Mai, another 300 baht.

They put the box back together and sent it back to me. The CooCase workers left the key in the lock when sending it back to me and it was bent 90 degrees in the keyhole. I was able to pull it out after some effort fortunately and to my luck it did not damage the lock.

Still, no reason to have a hissy fit, sometimes parts are defective; to their credit they fixed it quickly and sent it back to me.

I put the box on the bike again and the light does not come on. I call the brother/son-in law and he tells me he will send me a new light and I can take it to the repair shop and have it installed. I waited over a week, nothing arrives in the mail for me, and so I call CooCase again. He tells me "Oh sorry, we have been too busy with work. We'll send it tomorrow" OK, no big deal, this is Thailand. (The light never arrived by the way, they claim to have sent it to me but the post office returned it to them. If this is true, I wonder why this happened because I already received something from them at my address... could it be they carelessly wrote my address wrong on the package?)

During the time I was waiting, the internal screw connected to the plastic strip which stabilizes the two parts of the box falls off. I screw it back on several times but it keeps falling off. It does not hold more than a few days.

Next problem: somehow after a month or so of riding my bike with it on the box shifts forward when it is mounted so it is over the seat, meaning I have to remove the box every time I fill up for gas... rather annoying.

All of these things to me were actually no big deal to me at this time, the box is just low quality... I wasn't upset, I just wanted these problems to get fixed.

A week or so later I ride my bike up to Chiang Mai to visit a friend and also to go to the CooCase shop. I called three different days and asked to speak to the Singaporean owner and to meet him at the shop but they refused to let me talk to him and said he would not be coming in.

Finally, the day before I was to return to Bangkok, I went in to the shop and only the son/brother-in-law and his co-worker were there. The incident I then had with the son/brother in law and the other staff member is why I am writing this in a public forum and airing my grievances. They were about as rude and disrespectful as one could be to another person, especially a customer. They blamed me for the problems with the box, telling me I used it wrong and it was my fault (this doesn't make any sense, I used it exactly the way I was supposed to, never dropped it, never abused it in any fashion). It was clear they were very angry with me and wanted me to go away quickly. I told them that really I wanted to deal with this situation with the owner but since he was not there and I was returning to Bangkok the next day, if they could give me a new box. They agreed and I returned them the old one... hope they didn't sell it again!

This new box has less problems than the first one so far... after two months, the light has stopped working and the box mount has shifted forward, requiring me to take the box off when I fill up for gas. Minor inconveniences and safety issues, at least I can still lock it!

Best 'give and take' I've seen to date here in ThaiVisa!

DavidMavec gave a clear, concise report of the issues without resorting to the typical TV mud-slinging. He would seem to be a pretty laid-back rational fellow who would just like to get his value for money.

CoocaseThailand presented as fine an example of quality Customer Service as I ever could hope for from a manufacturer! 5-Stars for giving the customer a fair shake. I'm not personally familiar with Coocase boxes, but having seen how the company tries so hard to keep the customer satisfied, had I not been a long-time fan of Givi I would certainly take a look at the Coocase products!

Kudos all around!

Hi Dave,

I've drop a email to khun Yo, the young 23 years old boy just completed Uni and his first job in Coocase, and he replied his side of "story" but nevertheless is still his mistake for not informing the management regarding customer complaint as he thought he can handle it by himself, also Yo is careless not to re-check the address hence causing delay in sending courier back to you.

Coocase is new in Thailand for less than a year since Feb 2013 and we're not yet focusing to opening dealership as we want to deal directly with customer and listen to the complaint of product before we start to approach dealers around the country. Up to now we just have 1 dealer in Bangkok but we plan to cover more area in 2014.

It's not easy to set up a business in Thailand and is even more difficult to maintain happy and satisfy customers since we're dealing with all different people. So far Coocase have some minor fault mostly due to installation problem like wiring for brake light, and less than 3 cases of key lock issue which we can repair it. But consider more than 500 boxes we sold within 11 months, it's about 0.5% of product or quality issue.

Currently with more than 1000 customers that we have serve including our Coocase bike rental business, we will always try to keep our service mind orientated to ensure not any single customer feel disappointed with Coocase topcase or Coocase bike rental. Every customer is our good customer, and customer is always right with benefit of doubt will always to customer advantage. For this incident is obviously Coocase staff not able to satisfy and provide good customer service or maybe is communication problem which I'll not go further. I would like to thanks Dave for pointing this and letting me know so I can fix and improve on staff training including sending them for English language upgrade courses after work.

Dear Dave, please accept my apologise for the unhappiness and disappointment you face with Coocase, and like I mention in my PM earlier please let me have your bank detail and all other amount you have paid to Coocase and postage, I will arrange for a full refund to your account upon receiving them immediately. wai2.gifwai2.gif

Best Regards

Coocase Boutique Chiang Mai

quoted from Yo's email to me :

1. is my fault to not let you know , but Just a little problem with light i fix for him 1 time already like any customer i fix some little to them

2.i don't know customer angry cause i already fix to him and him said light cannot work him sent box for us and i sent back just sent - (The light never arrived by the way, they claim to have sent it to me but the post office returned it to them. If this is true, I wonder why this happened because I already received something from them at my address... could it be they carelessly wrote my address wrong on the package?) him sent for a wrong address to me..... why him said i wrote wrong address....

3.customer say is true but not at all

*remark - i said to him about him use wrongly but not to blame him about him fault i just teach and show him how to use again Because i see that he use with topcases .
him open&close too heavy (not cause angry him open&close heavy on first time him use coocase and i already tell him please softly a little bit) so that why strip fall off and put S40 on the plate not fitted and not check

**Remark - i'm really sure i'm not rude to him why him saying we rude with him , i talk to him with English but him said not saying englist him talk thai verygood , then i talk thai with him with KUB all words

have any questions please ask me again , i'm sure this not my fault i do my best job already for fix and repair this topcases S40

Yo

• Like 2

I don't need to be reimbursed for mailing, it's not that much money, but I would like you to fix the new case so it does not block the seat from being lifted up when I need to refill gas and fix the light. Maybe this is an issue with the railing since this started to happen with the previous case as well... I don't know. Now that I have your cell phone number I will call you directly on your cell phone next time I am in Chiang Mai (probably in a couple months) so it can get handled correctly. Thanks for dealing with this; as I noted, it was my intention to come to you directly instead of go through your staff because I could tell you provide excellent customer service but I was unable to meet with you.

It's indisputable your staff was quite rude and disrespectful to me but I understand he does not want to take responsibility for it. This was not only my opinion but also that of my friend who was with me at the time and not involved with the issue. I never showed any anger or disrespect to him during the interaction. I just wanted the problem solved. Several things he wrote in his email you posted are not accurate but let's just drop the issue. His behavior was what prompted me to write a review in a public forum instead of giving the benefit of the doubt that it was just one faulty case but I let it go now.

Anyway, apology accepted.

Thanks.

Edited by DavidMavec
  • Like 2

Just wanted to pop in and say that, I know you didn't want to go to Chiang Rai saddlebags. But I had them ship me down a set of Givi pannier cases for my ninja and I got them in 2 days in perfect condition.

Coocase: Keep up this attitude and outlook on customer service!

• Like 1

Yes Dave, if the box is blocking seat is the issue during installing or screw loose after some time of travelling, will get it fix once you're in CM.

Thanks again for this, not a good experience for you but a good lesson for Coocase to learn and improve. I'll get staff training issue sort out by the time you're in CM. wai2.gif

I don't need to be reimbursed for mailing, it's not that much money, but I would like you to fix the new case so it does not block the seat from being lifted up when I need to refill gas and fix the light. Maybe this is an issue with the railing since this started to happen with the previous case as well... I don't know. Now that I have your cell phone number I will call you directly on your cell phone next time I am in Chiang Mai (probably in a couple months) so it can get handled correctly. Thanks for dealing with this; as I noted, it was my intention to come to you directly instead of go through your staff because I could tell you provide excellent customer service but I was unable to meet with you.

It's indisputable your staff was quite rude and disrespectful to me but I understand he does not want to take responsibility for it. This was not only my opinion but also that of my friend who was with me at the time and not involved with the issue. I never showed any anger or disrespect to him during the interaction. I just wanted the problem solved. Several things he wrote in his email you posted are not accurate but let's just drop the issue. His behavior was what prompted me to write a review in a public forum instead of giving the benefit of the doubt that it was just one faulty case but I let it go now.

Anyway, apology accepted.

Thanks.

• 9 months later...

I wanted to take a moment to update my comments. I am sorry I didn't do this earlier because I went back to the Coocase shop in Chiang Mai with my bike in early July and had a very good experience. The owner and his team provided excellent service this time and fixed the wiring and other issues with the box. Really outstanding service and I can tell the owner is taking pains to do as good a job as possible with his shop.

I've now had the box back since early July and with not really any problems. The box did move forward again, blocking the seat, but I realize now that this actually is not a problem with the box and just happens after a while after going over bumps as I have been riding it on bumpy Laos roads and the screws come loose. It's no big deal as any mechanic knows how to push it back and tighten the screws and it can be done in a couple minutes. I have also realized it is important to keep the lock well lubricated as it gets stuck if not and can end up locking up. I've put lube in it twice since July to prevent/counteract this from happening and it opens/closes a lot more smoothly.

Hopefully they will be able to open up shops in other major cities in Thailand soon.

Cheers.