Thai farmers demand rice payment on Monday

webfact

Farmers demand rice payment on Monday
By Digital Content

13899233914708.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 17 – Farmers in a number of provinces are up in arms against the government for failing to pay for the rice they have delivered under the rice subsidy scheme.

Ubonsak Bualuang-ngam, president of the Farmers' Central Committee of Thailand, said farmers have yet to be paid for the rice from 2013/2014 crop and threatened to take legal action against the government for not keeping its promise.

He said the government should return the paddy to farmers so they could sell it to rice millers if it could not pay the debts.

Walit Charoensombat, leader of the Rice Seeds Production and Promotion Centre in Ratchaburi, said farmers in the province have been paid only 20 per cent for the rice they have sold to the government.

The Irrigation Department is releasing water into farmland next month but farmers lack financial resources for farming in the coming season, he said.

He demanded the government pay farmers on Monday, adding that farmers in western rice-planting provinces, including Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Phetchburi, Nakhon Pathom, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkram and Prachuap Khiri Khan, will meet on the weekend to resolve the delayed payment.

“Farmers are short of money for the next planting season and they will have extra expenses during the coming Chinese New Year. The government must show its responsibility,” he said.

Mr Walit said farmers had submitted letters to the government twice, asking for speedy payment to them. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-17

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come On Mr T ..... Out with your check book !!! .............whistling.gif

Now slowly the card house falling together .... I guess the end for Mr T. not far away.

Mr T as you say - has daughter of his brother marry with Hun Sen family and another marry with Myanmar Boss family - you do not understand that when he is president of Thailand he next want to be number one - Big Man in All SE Asia. The end is not in sight - He has a longh future to satisfy he need for power. I am sure that in the future the protestors/Democrats/Suthep will be blame for this when it is nothing to do with them and the red shirt Government is the one not paying their own voters as promise!

Edited by love1012
  • Like 2

Decisions, decisions, where are you when we want you Mr T. Oh! - that's right it's only our rice payments so it doesn't really matter- really truly it doesn't, we know you have bigger fish to fry.

He said the government should return the paddy to farmers so they could sell it to rice millers if it could not pay the debts.

Hmmmm, I am not really sure I would want my rice back if I was him. By now it will be mouldy, rotten, infested and who knows what else. Plus, you can pretty much guarantee that it would be the worst they could find if they had to actually return any to the farmers.

• Like 2

I love it when I'm right.

Sometimes I hate it when I'm right.

Of course this is good news in the sense that it will help the cause of defeating the Shinawatras, but ultimately it is bad news for the farmers who are going through financial hardship. I would rather that they were paid properly and as promised.

• Like 2

Here's a free history lesson for those concerned.

Warlords who failed to pay their private armies always came unstuck eventually. The only thing more dangerous than a woman scorned is a mercenary cheated.

Well, as the old saying goes, No money, No honey.

Edited by Mampara

I love it when I'm right.

Sometimes I hate it when I'm right.

Of course this is good news in the sense that it will help the cause of defeating the Shinawatras, but ultimately it is bad news for the farmers who are going through financial hardship. I would rather that they were paid properly and as promised.

Touche

Whatever the outcome, a core constituency of Pheu Thai is gone.

Not necessarily.

Monkeys stop going for the same banana after a while if it sends them a shock.

This will be a litmus test of the farmers intelligence to see if they can do the same thing.

The farmers' protest proved that they need the money. They must not forget they need the scheme for the money as well. It is an ongoing huge scheme with many challenges that the EC commissioners is going to kill and blocking their payments.

Needing a subsidy isn't much help when it doesn't arrive. How about something radical, start working in an industry that pays enough to live on, instead of bludging on your fellow Thais and selling your votes to those willing to pander to you. This theory is also known as "get a haircut and a real job'".

• Like 1

The farmers' protest proved that they need the money. They must not forget they need the scheme for the money as well. It is an ongoing huge scheme with many challenges that the EC commissioners is going to kill and blocking their payments.

The scheme is collapsing because it was meant to be funded in part through sales of rice. Since the government hasn't actually been able to sell the rice (for obvious reasons) the scheme is out of cash, even after raiding the Ag bank's own funds. To make it worse, the government has been unable to show the corruption watchdog any contracts for the 'government to government' sales they publicly claimed to have made. As a result, the former commerce minister and 15 cronies have been charged.

Responsibility for this mess lies with the government.

• Like 2

The scheme is collapsing because it was meant to be funded in part through sales of rice. Since the government hasn't actually been able to sell the rice (for obvious reasons) the scheme is out of cash, even after raiding the Ag bank's own funds. To make it worse, the government has been unable to show the corruption watchdog any contracts for the 'government to government' sales they publicly claimed to have made. As a result, the former commerce minister and 15 cronies have been charged.

Responsibility for this mess lies with the government.

How is your comment relevant to what is obvious - the protesters want the money and that money has to come from the rice scheme. I don't deny that they are many challenges.

Needing a subsidy isn't much help when it doesn't arrive. How about something radical, start working in an industry that pays enough to live on, instead of bludging on your fellow Thais and selling your votes to those willing to pander to you. This theory is also known as "get a haircut and a real job'".

It is a rice pledging scheme, not a subsidy. If it is, then there is no need to pledge, just hand out the money. If it is subsidy, the oppositions will scream as well.

"adding that farmers in western rice-planting provinces, including Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Phetchburi, Nakhon Pathom, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkram and Prachuap Khiri Khan, will meet on the weekend to resolve the delayed payment."

Have all the farmers in the red shirt provinces been paid?

Why is there no mention of Udon Thani or Chiang Mai farmers asking for their money?

Is this what has happened?

The farmers cannot be paid as Suthep demanded the House dissolved and all the Democrat Party MP's resigned.

So this messed up the payments.

And until an election is carried out and a new government is installed, the payments cannot be made.

So really, Suthep and Abhisit/Democrats are to blame for the lack of payment in many peoples eyes and those same people want an election as soon as possible else they will months and months without payment.

Fail Fail for Suthep and Abhisit/Democrats.

Fail as they are getting blamed for late payment.

Fail as they want to delay the election.

In my opinion the above of course.

Farmers demand rice payment on Monday

Pheu Thai: "Dear rice farmers. Okay, then,,, see you in the next few years, blame the Election committee, the FALANG, the Internaional Trade Associationm the Anti-government protesters, and rob the banks, and you will get what you ask for..." wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by MaxLee