Helmuts and other riding gear

CTO

German Helmut's are duty free which is why I thought one of them would be good, no idea how to balance on a bike with one of them wrapped around my head!

OK - Thanks for the info, will be shoopping in Ottawa for Helmets, not Helmuts/ :)

...now seriously...I've brought mine as a 'carry-on',together with the original 'carry-on' suitcase,it means 2 pieces...I thought it will be a problem,but nobody ever questioned that(Korean Air)...

...I thought,if someone will have a problem with that,I was going to put it on as a protraction in case of a crush..laugh.pngcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Buy it there as it will be way cheaper (there are currently some great deals on the RF-1100, which will be phased out for the RF-1200)- a helmet will fit in a large suitcase without a problem- just roll it in some bubble wrap to protect it from clumsy baggage handlers.

Way cheaper? Not in brick and mortar stores.

On internet sites of course, there's lots of sales and some really amazing deals so that way you can save lots of money. Saw a Bell RS online recently for $99, unfortunately they didn't ship to Thailand. That helmet is normally $400 and in Thailand around 13,900 baht. Then again you really need to try out a helmet and also helmets bought online might be several years old.

Arais I see here are usually around USD 600 - 700, same price as in the USA.

Edited by nikster

Can you let me know in which stores you saw helmets with U.S. Pricing?

The only quality (Arai, Shoei, Bell etc.) helmets I've seen here that are anywhere close to U.S. prices are old stock or on sale/close outs. Every store I've seen here, the helmets are usually priced around 4-5 k THB higher.

Admittedly this was in 2013 so I hoped things have changed.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Buy it there as it will be way cheaper (there are currently some great deals on the RF-1100, which will be phased out for the RF-1200)- a helmet will fit in a large suitcase without a problem- just roll it in some bubble wrap to protect it from clumsy baggage handlers.

Way cheaper? Not in brick and mortar stores.

On internet sites of course, there's lots of sales and some really amazing deals so that way you can save lots of money. Saw a Bell RS online recently for $99, unfortunately they didn't ship to Thailand. That helmet is normally $400 and in Thailand around 13,900 baht. Then again you really need to try out a helmet and also helmets bought online might be several years old.

Arais I see here are usually around USD 600 - 700, same price as in the USA.

Of course online- about the only people in the US or Canada who buy helmets through 'brick and mortar stores' are those getting one free or heavily discounted with the purchase of a motorcycle (unless it's a brand-new model that isn't being discounted anywhere yet).

Note anything shipped to LOS will be subject to import taxes, and helmets don't slip through unnoticed, and, as you mentioned, authorized Shoei distributors (among others) can't ship overseas due to a clause in their contract with the manufacturer- places that specialize in close-outs and unauthorized eBay merchants will, though.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Can you let me know in which stores you saw helmets with U.S. Pricing? The only quality (Arai, Shoei, Bell etc.) helmets I've seen here that are anywhere close to U.S. prices are old stock or on sale/close outs. Every store I've seen here, the helmets are usually priced around 4-5 k THB higher. Admittedly this was in 2013 so I hoped things have changed.

Any store really... FastCorner usually has Arais from THB 18,000 (USD 550) - 24,000 (USD 730). At RevZilla I see them between $600 - $700 so IMO same thing. If you buy it in a store in the USA add VAT to the US price and it's even more. Online, as I said, there's often deals and also you save on the VAT. But it's not like helmets are 2x more expensive here, or "way more expensive". They're not.

Shark is cheaper here than in the USA, throughout the range, probably because the factory is in Thailand.

Even if you find something cheaper in the US, if the savings are ~2,000 or below then you need to factor in the cost to get these items here. If I'm lucky I can get them on my next trip, or somebody can bring it, but that's not free either as I then can't bring something else that would maybe have even more savings etc. There's a cut-off where "savings" aren't savings when they're halfway around the world, and there's a cost to shipping stuff over here even in the best of cases. If you add postal service and a possible import tax hit you're almost always better off buying here.

@RubberSideDown most helmets don't fit me so online is not a good option unless there's free and easy returns. Which you have if you live in the USA, but not if you bring the helmet here yourself or have it shipped here, then returns are a PITA.

Edit - just researched the LS2 CT2 Carbon as it's the only one I've tried so far that fits me. This helmet costs just over 7,000 Baht in Chiang Mai, and USD 350 - 400 all over the web (do a Google shopping search for "LS2 CT2 Carbon"). Hrm - I guess I should just get it!!

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

I've got a big head, always had hard time to get helmets to fit so have to try before I buy, not something I'd buy of the 'net

Thanks everyone, advise greatly appreciated!

Same here. Unless there's free return shipping, I wouldn't buy on the net. Even then it's a bit of a hassle. I am looking for a new helmet & trying all the ones coming into the shops here in CM, 90% don't fit me.

I got a Real Cosmo in TH, but it's XL size and I have an average head. May not fit. Other than thay qualitywise it's quite ok and certified. Not worth to carry around the world.

Edited by MadMac