Simple Mitre Box

bjohn34

Yes don't make one. The idea of the jig is to enable less skilled people to turn out adequate mitres.

Making one and getting the first angle cuts correct needs even more skill.

Have seen them in global house,wood ones, not high quality but ok for small mouldings.

Otherwise buy a simple bevel and mark with a sharp knife.....and then use a fine toothed saw.

Of course ceiling cove mitres needs the concaved mitre template

Good luck

Yes don't make one. The idea of the jig is to enable less skilled people to turn out adequate mitres.

Have seen them in global house,wood ones, not high quality but ok for small mouldings.

Otherwise buy a simple bevel and mark with a sharp knife.....and then use a fine toothed saw.

Good luck

did you mean 'compound miter'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miter_saw#Types

-snip-

Good luck

I'm not sure what you mean. Inside cuts on that stuff are very complicated and take a lot of practice.

Here is a pic of some of mine going in.

Dsc00170.jpg

And on this video, start at 2 minutes to see it done.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20056482,00.html

Edited by NeverSure

Good luck

did you mean 'compound miter'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miter_saw#Types

I think the American jargon tool is ok but he wants to cut small mouldings I think so no point getting a sledgehammer to crack a nut. However yes that's the dogs <deleted> I suppose.

The concave mitre template,use in uk cost same as 50bt and very easily marks external and internal coving corners. Then use a fine tooth or hacksaw to cut the gyproc.

The hard part is getting it up:lol:

• 1 month later...

I have a few pieces of moulding to cut and meed a mitre box.

Is there any place to buy a simple and hopefully cheap one for small job use? I could build one but don't have any scrap wood around and am a little lazy anyway.

thanks

yes .. exactly what eye catcher said .. don't try to make one ... I am in Phitsanulok and need one for skirting board around the room both top and bottom , doe's anyone know where I can find one in Phitsanulok ... any help appreciated

Sent from my TR736 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A great investment is a compund-mitre power saw. I paid 2200 THB for a Skil brand in the US, it was made in China. Used it for two re-hab projects and sold it for 1500 THB. The cheap plastic/saw combos will work for the smallest of jobs, and should be less than 300 thb for both. Might be something the mom/pop discount home stores sell. I got a nice 250 mm locking plier for 119 thb the other day....plumbing work is now complete.