Night Bazaar Traders

MickeyMaow

Any tips on dealing with the traders down at the night bazaar? When I ask for the price of something they always start with an unreasonable price, and they get vexed very easily when you are trying to haggle with them. I nearly got into a fight with one guy over a watch I offered him 1200baht (he was down too 1800 from 3800) witch I thought was very reasonable (thai friends I spoke too thought it very reasonable too) he then got mad and started swearing at me, having ago at my nationality (witch he got wrong he was not even Thai maybe not even legal) and all sorts. I usually wouldn't let someone speak to me like that, but I let it go because things would of gotten nasty.

<deleted> just give my the real price and I'll pay it!

Anyway, enough ranting, is there a rule of thumb, for example aim for half of there 1st asking price or what?

Edited by MickeyMaow

rule of thumb you can get all the stuff at the market in other markets or in your case in a shop for the price you quoted you were willing to pay,

At the market yes in general depending on the trader of course and the item wanted half the price first asked is in general close to the real price

so start below that price if you want to get into the bartering way

,,but like i said before the traders are tourists tired so treat you with little or no respect no matter how hard they try to smile and seem interested

some of the old guys selling Buddhas sometimes have interesting watches and they are much easier to deal with...need a Thai with you though if you don't speak Thai,though you can also go on your own also and just point and use your fingers or write down the price

At the back of central there are a few antique stall where sometimes they had good solid watches

Would not say it was widespread myself, and last night there did seem to be quite a few non Thai Thais, in particular an aggresive sod (to some Chinese) on the main drag near Annusarn. As far as price and where to go I would also suggest strongly that quantity affects price considerably ( as well as if you know the trader). Went out with an Aussie guy last night and he bought 40 scarfs as gifts at 100 baht a piece, same price everywhere...got the lot for 2800 baht and could have gone lower probaby but pressed for time. Trader is still hapy as...though margin on each scarf was smaller collectively paid for the night for her....all happy.

I haven't been to the night bizarre in at least a year. A Japanese friend wanted a fake watch (Cartier) so I asked around at the night bizarre and we were then taken to a stall in the original night bizarre building. The door was padlocked but quickly opened by our vendor. The vendor started at 4000 baht & after 15 or 20 mins of haggling we settled on a price of 400 baht. Amazing how much the price comes down when one walks away and/or stands their ground. Keep in mind that the vendor really wants the sale, so just keep bargaining if you're serious about buying the item. A large number of the night bizarre vendors are Thai Yai or Burmese.

I normally stay away from all tourist areas in Thailand as the vendors are greedy s.o.b.'s and I'm tired of the aggressive haggling. Of course I have to negotiate prices at markets or just about anywhere else including pharmacies, but these are mostly regular people who are fun to bargain with. But the tourist areas attract aggressive vendors who often want to take home a months pay in one transaction.

I would guess that the space for their stalls is expensive to rent, so soaking the tourists is the name of the game. I find it odd that the Thai government advertises around the world to attract tourists and investors to come to Thailand, yet when these people come to Thailand they just get scammed and soaked of their money. Been like that since I started coming to Thailand 33 years ago.

• Like 2

Night Bazaar is a tourist trap. As others have suggested, shop elsewhere.

I think when vendors turn aggressive for no reason, it pretty much tells you everything you need to know about that store or stall.

Shop elsewhere.

• Like 2

Any tips on dealing with the traders down at the night bazaar?

Yep, don't buy from them for reasons already mentioned. But if you really must and they get up you just laugh right in their face and walk.

• Like 1

I had a Japanese female friend ( who always gets mistaken for Thai until she speaks) here a few years back. Bought a knit handbag on Sunday walking street for 300 baht. Saw the same thing at Night Bazaar 30 minutes later, They asked for 3000 Baht.

I haven't been to the night bizarre in at least a year. A Japanese friend wanted a fake watch (Cartier) so I asked around at the night bizarre and we were then taken to a stall in the original night bizarre building. The door was padlocked but quickly opened by our vendor. The vendor started at 4000 baht & after 15 or 20 mins of haggling we settled on a price of 400 baht. Amazing how much the price comes down when one walks away and/or stands their ground. Keep in mind that the vendor really wants the sale, so just keep bargaining if you're serious about buying the item. A large number of the night bizarre vendors are Thai Yai or Burmese.

I normally stay away from all tourist areas in Thailand as the vendors are greedy s.o.b.'s and I'm tired of the aggressive haggling. Of course I have to negotiate prices at markets or just about anywhere else including pharmacies, but these are mostly regular people who are fun to bargain with. But the tourist areas attract aggressive vendors who often want to take home a months pay in one transaction.

I would guess that the space for their stalls is expensive to rent, so soaking the tourists is the name of the game. I find it odd that the Thai government advertises around the world to attract tourists and investors to come to Thailand, yet when these people come to Thailand they just get scammed and soaked of their money. Been like that since I started coming to Thailand 33 years ago.

I have had the hawkers follow me down the street in some countries. Nothing unique about it here in Thailand. I had two little kids 6 or 7 follow me for a quarter of a mile in Cambodia trying to sell me post cards and scarves.

You say the rent must be high. I had heard and take it with a spoon full of salt that they are charged 10,000 baht a month. Seemed awfully high to me.

I would have thought 1800baht for genuine Rolex was very reasonable.

I was once Ordered Out of a ROLEX shop in Zurich when I went in to have the battery changed on my "Genuine" Bali-bought ROLEX.

First up, they give you the "evil eye" before opening the door. Once inside, I saw a young lady behind the counter and explained I needed a new battery, she then called over her boss and I handed him my ROLEX which he promptly dropped on the counter with a look of total disdain, curled his top lip, sniffed/snorted and told me to Get out of his shop.

My Swiss G/F at the time was cringing in embarrassment outside and offered me no sympathy at all over the discovery that my "Genuine Bali Rolex" which I would have paid the equivalent of about 1-Thousand Baht for was a rip-off.

• Like 1

we went to the night market to buy some trow over bed covers but the prices were too high 2,000 t0 3000 and they would not haggle so we left it at that, the next day we went to the village up the mountain and we know that this is also a tourist trap bur we found the exact same bed covers for 500 each we bought 3 and still haggled a better price. I find it amazing the amount of traders that will not haggle, If I don't get some kind of discount I always walk away.

I traded antiques and collectables at Antique fairs in Australia and was always prepared to haggle with my customers and the ones that wanted the most discount was the asian women, I always did it with a smile unless an idiot would start with 'I

am only prepared to give you this much" normally less than half price then I would tell them straight away to f#@k off

I recently had back to back visits from my son and daughter + spouses. Of course they like to go to the night bazaar, mainly for copy stuff as Christmas gifts. They will not get excited and keep their voices down, no laughing or making the seller feel small. Whatever the price started out at on 'the calculator' 40% was offered. The seller came down 300Baht they went up 50 Baht. Sellers usually expect you to go up the same amount, but don't do it. I can't think of anything they paid more than 50% of the asking price for and they were happy, which is all that counts really. If you keep calm, speak quietly, have a laugh but not at their expense you will usually get an OK price as a tourist. Jump up and down and scream how unfair it is, then you might as well just walk away as they will laugh at you and you'll go home with nothing. There is no advantage having a Thai with you. They don't like to get involved and sellers often resent a Thai trying to get a cheap price for a foreigner. If you try to deal in Thai language, then make sure you really can otherwise they will start talking so much, that you will look foolish at not understanding.

As others have said, it is for tourists and tourists like it. For most things I never need to go anywhere near the night bazaar, though I have to soon, as someone back home wants a 'Coach purse'.........ho hum.

• Like 1

No one gets scammed in the night bazaar. Vendors offer a product at a certain price and the customers are free to accept that price, negotiate a lower price or walk away. Some Pattaya jet-ski operators scam people, some Chiang Mai Karaoke bars scam people, but as far as I know no one in the night bazaar is forced to buy anything that they don't want, at a price that they don't agree on, with or without threats of violence.

You might want to bear in mind that irrespective of how you see it, thousands of people buy goods every night in the night bazaar and think they've got a bargain because whatever they paid for it, it was a lot cheaper than it would have been back home. The fact that you could buy the same thing cheaper in Warrorot market or Sunday walking street is interesting, but no more relevant than the difference in buying perfume in a fancy store compared to buying it in a discount market back home.

If there is no coercion and both parties agree on the price, it's not a scam, as much as you guys like to use the word and as much as you'd like to believe it.

The fact that there are thousands of tourists happily buying stuff at the Night Bazaar every night of the week is a joy to me, partly because it is good for Chiang Mai but mostly because, for some strange reason, it pisses you guys off.

I agree, the vendors are not really greedy, they're like any vendor types I've met in any tourist areas in the world. If you don't like the price, don't buy or haggle - it is your choice. Actually, where you will get overcharged is in Central Department Store!

No one gets scammed in the night bazaar. Vendors offer a product at a certain price and the customers are free to accept that price, negotiate a lower price or walk away. Some Pattaya jet-ski operators scam people, some Chiang Mai Karaoke bars scam people, but as far as I know no one in the night bazaar is forced to buy anything that they don't want, at a price that they don't agree on, with or without threats of violence.

You might want to bear in mind that irrespective of how you see it, thousands of people buy goods every night in the night bazaar and think they've got a bargain because whatever they paid for it, it was a lot cheaper than it would have been back home. The fact that you could buy the same thing cheaper in Warrorot market or Sunday walking street is interesting, but no more relevant than the difference in buying perfume in a fancy store compared to buying it in a discount market back home.

If there is no coercion and both parties agree on the price, it's not a scam, as much as you guys like to use the word and as much as you'd like to believe it.

The fact that there are thousands of tourists happily buying stuff at the Night Bazaar every night of the week is a joy to me, partly because it is good for Chiang Mai but mostly because, for some strange reason, it pisses you guys off.

I agree, the vendors are not really greedy, they're like any vendor types I've met in any tourist areas in the world. If you don't like the price, don't buy or haggle - it is your choice. Actually, where you will get overcharged is in Central Department Store!

You never get overcharged if you don't pay the price and buy the item wink.png

I was once Ordered Out of a ROLEX shop in Zurich when I went in to have the battery changed on my "Genuine" Bali-bought ROLEX.

First up, they give you the "evil eye" before opening the door. Once inside, I saw a young lady behind the counter and explained I needed a new battery, she then called over her boss and I handed him my ROLEX which he promptly dropped on the counter with a look of total disdain, curled his top lip, sniffed/snorted and told me to Get out of his shop.

My Swiss G/F at the time was cringing in embarrassment outside and offered me no sympathy at all over the discovery that my "Genuine Bali Rolex" which I would have paid the equivalent of about 1-Thousand Baht for was a rip-off.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Yes in Bali I have had them follow me for blocks with their tray of watches. Haven't been to those areas the last few times there. Don't know if they are still doing it. Had to laugh my friend and I were walking down the street when we saw a sign antiques made to order. We went in and heard the sound of an electric sander in the back. In a market in Lombok I looked at a couple of little statues carved out of a horn. Bartered a bit and left to wander through the rest of the market. I would say it was a little bigger than Worrorat. On my way out in the parking lot the seller came running after me and said he would except my price.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by northernjohn

I bought a leather wallet in Mexico and was going through it a year later and discovered a "Made In India" tag.

I would think the cost of living in Mexico is higher than India so any product that can be made cheaper and imported with low tariffs elsewhere would be sold there as well.

Take a few steps into Anusarn Market and you'll find a lot of the stuff that's on the street only you have more room to move and some nice places to sit down if you want to see who blinks first. I think the starting prices are a bit lower as well.

I hate haggling. One of the tricks I discovered a long time ago is to get someone else to do it: just be in earshot of a vendor when a real professional haggler is there, the longer it goes on, the more you know they're driving a hard bargain. Once the deal is struck you can simply go and offer the seller exactly what the last one did. They rarely decline, and the whole purchasing experience is over in seconds without any stress.

Another trick, if it's for small gifts or something, is simply to get a Thai friend to buy it for you - of course it's important that you are nowhere to be seen and that they think it's for the Thai themselves.

Edited by Chicog

The "Phuket Genuine Rolex" came as an automatic,so never needed the replacement battery....I shoved it in my drawer after it missed a bit one time...now 15 years after(and after reading this topic) I've taken it out ...and gave it a little shake...and it works!!!...even the colors are still there!...I guess,it was worth the 1K 'or so' baht smile.png

• Like 1

I remember one morning (7:30 a.m.) I was crazy enough to bike to some village in the mountains. maybe it was super hot that day, not sure. Anyhow, I was resting there and witnessed all the vendors opening up massive plastic bags with Chinese writing all over it. They would take their trinkets out of the bad packaging, and I could only imagine what they would tell Billie and Wilma about its authenticity. I acted like I had no idea, and then convinced myself that almost everything I buy in the Universe is likely from China. *Note: I do sell "Made in USA" stickers from a hut just off canal road. I give you good deal. You make me lucky!!! giggle.gif

I always buy my T-Shirts from the same vendor in the night bizarre and have done for years.... always the copy billabong, quicksilver etc....150 Baht each which I think is reasonable.... unless someone knows different?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Street vendors are spoiled by "rich" or lazy tourists. Just few weeks ago I was walking the night market with my wife, not so busy like Chiang Mai, and not so much greedy, but I visited a small store selling scarfs ad fabrics on the same street. An American couple were looking for scarfs selling for 1500THB. EXACTLY the same product selling on a street vendor's table by its front door for 100THB. Because I like those scarfs very much, and I know the best vendor, I spoke with the couple when they existed the store, asking them if they were looking in buy that merchandise. They said that they just bought 4 in the store for the asking price. .....Do the maths...

Some of those fakes watches you can buy in the market for $30, specially the automatics, are very good, and are selling on the internet for over $500.....I own one.... a fake, very heavy Omega Seamaster for 3 years now...Many of my friends in America believed that it was real...