Went to the booze shop as I fancied a whisky for a change

JesseFrank

Keep in mind that in walking street it isn't only the price of drinks that has risen out of the pan, " other " entertainment has completely lost all touch with reality.

It's a free market subject to the laws of supply and demand.

If you don't agree with the prices then don't buy it.

..But wait.. You will buy it at these prices which proves that the laws of supply and demand are functioning correctly and the price is not high enough (for you) until you actually refuse to pay-up.

The price is right or too cheap for you, yet.

Again you seem confused. Did you see the first line in my OP ?

But when I saw the prices on the shelves my lust for alcohol disappeared faster than I could think about.

Which indicates that I don't agree with the these prices, in fact I went outside empty handed .

And I'm not alone, I've heard from other people that it's getting over the top. Did you notice by the way how the assortment of alcoholic drinks in most liquor shops has decreased ?

There was recently a sign up in Big C, I think it was about the Beaujolais 2014, that they decided NOT to stock it since the new excise taxes made it unsellable.

If the government wants to make people drink less, due to the coast of too many alcoholics ending up in the gutter, well then they have succeeded. Afterall, you left empty handed smile.png

ive noticed too many fat <deleted> recently on my travels (farang and thai )

perhaps we should whack a 100% tax on food as well ?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that in walking street it isn't only the price of drinks that has risen out of the pan, " other " entertainment has completely lost all touch with reality.

It's a free market subject to the laws of supply and demand.

If you don't agree with the prices then don't buy it.

..But wait.. You will buy it at these prices which proves that the laws of supply and demand are functioning correctly and the price is not high enough (for you) until you actually refuse to pay-up.

The price is right or too cheap for you, yet.

Again you seem confused. Did you see the first line in my OP ?

But when I saw the prices on the shelves my lust for alcohol disappeared faster than I could think about.

Which indicates that I don't agree with the these prices, in fact I went outside empty handed .

And I'm not alone, I've heard from other people that it's getting over the top. Did you notice by the way how the assortment of alcoholic drinks in most liquor shops has decreased ?

There was recently a sign up in Big C, I think it was about the Beaujolais 2014, that they decided NOT to stock it since the new excise taxes made it unsellable.

If the government wants to make people drink less, due to the coast of too many alcoholics ending up in the gutter, well then they have succeeded. Afterall, you left empty handed smile.png

ive noticed too many fat fuc_ks recently on my travels (farang and thai )

We need food to survive... Maybe some tax on unhealthy food would be a good idea, or make the healthy food even cheaper. But I guess you just have to pay up if you want your whiskey...

Edited by CryWolf

ive noticed too many fat fuc_ks recently on my travels (farang and thai )

Sure, on unhealthy foods only, of course - coming soon to your home country without a doubt.

Japan, Denmark and Mexico have already implemented.

all this whinging about decent whisky prices, google stills and flavourings,here in aus amongst us oldies they are quite popular, I bought a still, instruction book and flavourings and sent it to isaanthat was 15 years ago!!my thai inlaws do quite well, our youngest whisky is ready at 9 months quite a smooth sippin whisky, poppas an has the odd flashback and knocks out a batch of Lao khao,no one has gone blind or daft yet but I live in hopewhistling.gif

• Like 1

Talk about a bunch of poverty-stricken falangs. Sure, all prices have gone up--just like everywhere. It's still a better deal here than you get back home--at least it is for me. If you can't afford to pay the alcohol prices here, go somewhere else, drink cheaper booze, or stop drinking. You are still living cheaper here than you can at home--are you not?

• Like 1

In Norway a bottle of whiskey cost around 2000 thb. When I'm in Thailand i must admit i feel like a millionaire :)Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A bottle of good whiskey in thailand will also cost about the same. Unless you are comparing it to the local spirits like Sang Som, Siam Sato etc

Good whiskey's, and than I'm talking about single malts, start from 3000 Baht these days

"Single malt whiskies". Only Americans spell whisky 'whiskey' and it isn't real whisky anyway.

Consider yourself lucky that your drug of choice is legal and you can buy it anywhere.

Talk about a bunch of poverty-stricken falangs. Sure, all prices have gone up--just like everywhere. It's still a better deal here than you get back home--at least it is for me. If you can't afford to pay the alcohol prices here, go somewhere else, drink cheaper booze, or stop drinking. You are still living cheaper here than you can at home--are you not?

Did you care to read the OP by any chance ?

Just re read it, you are the guy who claims to have a 12 million baht holiday home in Pattaya, yet posts about drinking "benzine".

If you cant afford 1,000 baht for a bottle of Chivas or Ballantines, try Benmore, they are all blends of course and excellent for mixing.

Just the other day I was shocked, Heaven Hill went up from 565 to 599 per litre, last time I checked the same bottle would cost me over 1,000 baht back home.

Gotta love the whisky snobs.

Buy cheap mixing crap, or spend a few shekels and buy a decent single malt, they both get you to where you want to go, think of it the same as travelling cattle class or first class to Thailand, we are both on the same aircraft and both arrive here at the same time.

last i was partying if farangistan there is no way i'd go anywhere near 5000 baht b4 midnight. even accounting for inflation in the interim cant see it.

last i was partying if farangistan there is no way i'd go anywhere near 5000 baht b4 midnight. even accounting for inflation in the interim cant see it.

5000thb is only a hundred quid ,you could drink it as quickly in a nice place here as back in europe

in dublin a double whiskycoke is like 12-14 euros in a mid level city centre club

I like to drink good beer from belgium or maybe germany so it costs me triple to drink it in thialand

(152 thb per 330ml even in a supermarket but i appreciate it is imported from europe to sydney and sydney to bkk

but il pay it anyway )

the option is there to drink chang or sangsom if i just drink to get drunk quickly and dont care what it tastes

like lol

of course theyre ripping off all us drinkers of fine beverages ,but who wouldnt ? :D

Just re read it, you are the guy who claims to have a 12 million baht holiday home in Pattaya, yet posts about drinking "benzine".

If you cant afford 1,000 baht for a bottle of Chivas or Ballantines, try Benmore, they are all blends of course and excellent for mixing.

Just the other day I was shocked, Heaven Hill went up from 565 to 599 per litre, last time I checked the same bottle would cost me over 1,000 baht back home.

Buy cheap mixing crap, or spend a few shekels and buy a decent single malt, they both get you to where you want to go, think of it the same as travelling cattle class or first class to Thailand, we are both on the same aircraft and both arrive here at the same time.

I suggest you reread the OP once again, because you seem to have comprehension issues. I never said that I owned the holiday home.

And stop making up fictitious price to sound credible. Where was the Heaven Hill 599 Baht per liter ? was it at the Cambodian or Laos border crossing ?

In Thailand heaven hill is way over 700 Baht for 70 cl and is bourbon.

Oh and a bottle of Chivas also isn't 1000 Baht, it's about 1600 Baht.

Edited by JesseFrank

In What'sUp agogo a Chivas ( 3 cc ) on top of soda water 185 Baht. There are several places in walking street now where a lady drink is 250 Baht.

Counts up quickly you know.

5000thb is only a hundred quid ,you could drink it as quickly in a nice place here as back in europe

in dublin a double whiskycoke is like 12-14 euros in a mid level city centre club

I like to drink good beer from belgium or maybe germany so it costs me triple to drink it in thialand

(152 thb per 330ml even in a supermarket but i appreciate it is imported from europe to sydney and sydney to bkk

but il pay it anyway )

the option is there to drink chang or sangsom if i just drink to get drunk quickly and dont care what it tastes

like lol

of course theyre ripping off all us drinkers of fine beverages ,but who wouldnt ? biggrin.png

i am even more pleased with my complete ignorance of current trends on this subject than i was before thank youbiggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I suggest you reread the OP once again, because you seem to have comprehension issues. I never said that I owned the holiday home.

And stop making up fictitious price to sound credible. Where was the Heaven Hill 599 Baht per liter ? was it at the Cambodian or Laos border crossing ?

And I don't think that one who has a 12 Million baht holiday home on the outskirts of Pattaya can be considered a cheap charlie or short of cash.

Post #21 by you, ok I will grant you you never said you personally owned it.

Where was the Heaven Hill 599 Baht per liter ? was it at the Cambodian or Laos border crossing

No it was for sale in The Mall Bng Kapi in Bkk.

Please let me know where you saw it for that price?

and is bourbon.

Please explain the difference between whisky and bourbon.

Suggest you go buy it for yourself, try Tesco/Lotus or Big C.

Do you actually here?

perhaps you can post a picture or two of the girls that this expensive booze brings so us mere mortals can drool?

are they even more beautiful than Arnies well published bit on the side? we all saw what the extreme cash, power and prestige brought him. truly stunning. chamber maid of the ex IMF head comes to mind too.

Edited by nickoffskiov

And I don't think that one who has a 12 Million baht holiday home on the outskirts of Pattaya can be considered a cheap charlie or short of cash.

Post #21 by you, ok I will grant you you never said you personally owned it.

Where was the Heaven Hill 599 Baht per liter ? was it at the Cambodian or Laos border crossing

No it was for sale in The Mall Bng Kapi in Bkk.

Please let me know where you saw it for that price?

and is bourbon.

Please explain the difference between whisky and bourbon.

Suggest you go buy it for yourself, try Tesco/Lotus or Big C.

Do you actually here?

- Post # 21

I had a regular here just over the new year, who comes 3 times a year for the past 10 years or so, and he was complaining about the extreme price rises since last holiday .

- Chivas at Big C online Chivas regal 70 Cl Bht 1429

http://shoppingonline.bigc.co.th/chivas-regal-70-cl.html?___store=default&___from_store=default

- Difference between Whisky and Bourbon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky

Bourbon whiskey—made from mash that consists of at least 51% corn (maize)

_ For the Heaven Hill I can't find an online source, but Friendship and Best supermarket are the only ones in Pattaya that I know to stock it, at the price I mentioned and seen yesterday.

Are we done ?

Edited by JesseFrank

Well I got a bottle of Grants whiskey with a free glass on my way home for less that 300 baht at Spar park and shop, cede plaza, CBD Abuja. usually I buy American honey, but I go through the bottle fast, it tastes like pure nectar in btw orgies. It's pricey here at about 400 baht at NEXT.

I am home alone and doing my grant, sorry if I went off topic.

• Like 1

In Norway a bottle of whiskey cost around 2000 thb. When I'm in Thailand i must admit i feel like a millionaire :)Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A bottle of good whiskey in thailand will also cost about the same. Unless you are comparing it to the local spirits like Sang Som, Siam Sato etc

Chivas Regal 18 year-old will cost 3650 thb. That is for 70cl, so 1 liter would be at 5200 thb

Of course now we're talking good whiskey...

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think you will find it should be whisky if it is from Scotland biggrin.png

• Like 1

Chivas Regal 18 year-old will cost 3650 thb. That is for 70cl, so 1 liter would be at 5200 thb

Of course now we're talking good whiskey...

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think you will find it should be whisky if it is from Scotland biggrin.png

Oh i sencierly appologise for writing it the wrong way :) I bet 99% still got my point, but thank you for correcting me anyway... I learn new things everyday wink.png

what with all the complaining about price rises, our vets club on the sunshine coast, 15 years ago decided beer and spirits were getting to expensive In queensland so we decided to brew and distill for our own consumption, we pay a subscription to bulk buy our ingredients and we do not sell any, so we are legal, bottle shops and pubs in the area complained but we are doing nothing illegal,but complaining about alcohol prices in Thailand is weird, if you can afford to live here well good on ya but complaining about the price of a bottle or as some do the price of a cup of coffee is not worth itwai.gif

• Like 1

what with all the complaining about price rises, our vets club on the sunshine coast, 15 years ago decided beer and spirits were getting to expensive In queensland so we decided to brew and distill for our own consumption, we pay a subscription to bulk buy our ingredients and we do not sell any, so we are legal, bottle shops and pubs in the area complained but we are doing nothing illegal,but complaining about alcohol prices in Thailand is weird, if you can afford to live here well good on ya but complaining about the price of a bottle or as some do the price of a cup of coffee is not worth itwai.gif

Thanks for informing us what is legal in Queensland, but we are in Thailand and home brewing is illegal here.

If people complain about the cost of a cup of coffee, alcohol, imported foods or whatever then there probably is a reason for.

The point is that many people choose to live here many years ago because they could afford it as you say, but things have changed rapidly and many of those people can no longer afford to live here, for reasons that are behind their own control .