Fruit carts in tourist areas ... ask the price first ... they've got knives

Jingthing

I'd have said 'only 30 baht? Cut me another 500 baht of fruit...' Then run like <deleted> when he's cut all the fruit..... cheesy.gif

Simon

Nice try. It was his last farang fruit ...

That would explain the high price. Supply and demand.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have said 'only 30 baht? Cut me another 500 baht of fruit...' Then run like <deleted> when he's cut all the fruit..... cheesy.gif

Simon

Nice try. It was his last farang fruit and the moto boys have bikes ...

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

he would've been running after you to cut up another type of farang fruit.

Simon

Nice try. It was his last farang fruit and the moto boys have bikes ...

he would've been running after you to cut up another type of farang fruit.

So you feel free to use anti-gay slur words here? Interesting.

Newbie mistake really.. So, what fruit was it, how much of it and how much did you pay ?

totster smile.png

It was farang.

The normal market rate is 20.

If quite large, sometimes 25.

This fruit wasn't even large. He wanted 30. Never been asked 30 before from a cart for this and I buy all the time.

He was definitely playing a tourist rip off game, located in a high traffic tourist area, he claimed only to speak Thai (which I didn't believe) but it was no problem for me with the numbers. He was acting like the problem was that I didn't understand 30 in Thai but from my POV it was a well rehearsed game for him. I applaud his business acumen and flair with knife waving.

Yes I do usually ask. Again, no biggie. Just another slice of Pattaya life.

Again, not much money involved, but it occurred to me a vendor COULD demand much more money, say 100, and the implied contract is still there, you ordered the fruit, he cut it, you don't know the price, you're really obligated to pay whatever. Enforced by local transport players if you don't.

I should also say that half the time when a tourist area fruit vendor tries one on (before cutting) and you start to walk away, they then agree to sell for the normal market price. I get complacent because I often buy in more local's areas where it almost seems rude to ask the price about something you know the price of.

By mimosa they ask 40

mataleo

Is this thread for real? 5-10 baht difference and you're using words like rip-off? A rip-off is when you do not receive a product or service that you have paid for, not when a vendor charges a whopping 10 baht extra than usual, stop being a drama queen.

It is your responsibility to ask the price if it is not displayed. Imagine you were working at a market and you provided a service for somebody who hadn't asked the price first. They then refused to pay you even though you had provided the exact product that they had asked for, on the basis that somebody else down the road sells it cheaper? You'd get angry too.

He was probably just quoting the exact same price as he always does, it's his prerogative to charge whatever price he likes, that's business.