512 GB Kingston DataTraveler HyperX flash drive - Where to buy in Thailand ?

ukrules

I need a large fast flash drive to move a couple of big files between my various computers on a regular basis (a few times each week). The file sizes at the moment are 300 GB and 100 GB, copying this amount of data can take a long time on a slower external drive.

It takes too long to do this on a normal non flash USB external drive in an efficient way and my other flash drive (128 GB) isn't large enough for the 300 GB file which is a single truecrypt volume.

This is the model of USB drive I'm looking for :

I'd like to buy a 512 GB flash drive, I know there is one model available from Kingston, this one :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-DTHXP30-512GB-DataTraveler/dp/B00AV3XGPW

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these in Thailand ? I've not been able to find a supplier. Banana IT in Hua Hin told me many people have asked for this size USB drive but for some reason they don't sell it. They don't even sell the 128 GB 'HyperX' version which I purchased almost 2 years ago on a trip back to the UK.

I know they're available in Thailand as they are mentioned on the Kingston Thai website so someone somewhere must stock them.

I would consider the SSD drive with USB enclosure if I could guarantee that the USB enclosure would work at the same speed as the SSD drive, the one problem is that most of the enclosures are built for much slower 5400/7200 RPM drives and have the data transfer speed to match - they are very slow.

For example the enclosure you linked above will be much slower than the USB3 thumb drive I mentioned as it's only USB2. The difference in this is 4 hours to copy the files as opposed to 40 minutes to copy it. I did this last week and I had to shut down my system (running as a vm) for 3.5-4 hours while the copy completed, I want to avoid this situation the next time I do the copy. I'm curently doing this large copy with a USB2 enclosure containing a laptop drive in it.

Even with native USB3 hardware I've read that there are many different speeds and I want the fastest possible to reduce this long transfer time on these huge files. Finding the fastest possible performing enclosure is not going to be an easy task whereas the Kingston USB drive has the fast USB3 technology built into it already. Some USB3 drives are much slower than others which introduces a bottleneck even though the SSD drive is capable of faster speeds it won't ever reach the transfer capacity.

Why not a portable USB 3.0 hard disk?

I actually just put that one as an example. There are usb3 ones about.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/enclosure-box/orico/1-bay-2-5inch-hard-drive-enclosure-usb-3-0-black-xg-2519us3-p018196/ is a usb one

the specs are here. http://www.oricothailand.com/2011/index.php?module=main&pages=Product%20info&tp=1&product=372

• Highgrade ABS plastic material design, no deformation under high temperature, strong and durable.
  • Ultra-thin design, piano paint surface treatment, fashionable and generous.
  • Compatible with all 9.5mm 2.5inch SATA HDD/SSD.
  • A built-in foam pad makes HDD stable and shockproof.
  • Tool free HDD install design, convenient to exchange HDD.
  • Provide a SATA22pin interface dust-proof cover
  • USB3.0 transfer rate up to 5Gbps.
  • Support hot swap, no need to restart computer.
  • LED indicator: blue indicates power and red flashing indicates HDD R/W status

Product Specifications:

Edited by harrry

Does it need to be portable? - if just back up or share then get a cheap PC or old laptop to use it as a network server and use ethernet or wifi... You can't file share them? A network file server can be a waypoint in the transfer and a backup to the files at the same time. A laptop as file server is somewhat portable and can serve other purposes at the same time.

Are the computers connected to an internal LAN or the Internet?

In a past life I tasked several clients with making secure backups of their critical or sensitive data -- they rarely did.

Finally I just decided to bypass them and set up an rcopy command over a vpn tunnel. Once every day, overnight, the program examines what files were touched or changed and copied the changes from their business computers to the remote machines located in their homes. The program also produces a timestamp dated log of all change activity, great if your looking for when a file was last changed or deleted.

While this process only creates a copy and not an archival, the home computer also ran a script to kept a 3 day rotational full backup on external drives and copied the 'differential' data out to DVDs for daily archival.

rcopy is a unix/linux command but there are versions for Windows.

Just suggesting an alternative.

Why not import the one you saw on Amazon?

If I can't find one locally I'll probably go ahead and order this from Amazon if they will export it. I'd rather have the small pocket sized drive than the 2.5 inch version.

I don't want to pay a hefty import tax on it though, would a device like this be liable for import duty or would it be zero rated as it's computer equipment ?

I continued searching on the internet and there are a few Thailand based Kingston distributors who apparently sell this drive to retailers, I'll contact them to see if they can point me to a retailer.

• Like 1

Two years ago, I bought an e-SATA thumb drive. It's a little clumsy since it has two caps- one covering the male e-SATA connector and one covering a female mini USB connector. You must hook up the USB end of the drive to a USB port on the computer if the e-SATA port is not powered. It's only 64 GB but I suppose that they have larger capacities now. It's much faster than USB 3. It's just as fast as an SSD. Sorry but I've forgotten the brand name and I left it back in Tokyo. Perhaps you could search for it on the web. I thought that you might like to know that there is small form factor e-SSD drive available. It would cut your transfer time to less than you could do with the Kingston drive, I think.

You might buy it on line and have it sent to someone in your home country. Then have them mail it 1st Class in a small padded mailer. Claim only $50 for customs purposes so you don't get dinged by customs. Put it on a key ring and say it's a key ring souvenir. I never had an issue getting the mail that way. Just a thought.

You might buy it on line and have it sent to someone in your home country. Then have them mail it 1st Class in a small padded mailer. Claim only $50 for customs purposes so you don't get dinged by customs. Put it on a key ring and say it's a key ring souvenir. I never had an issue getting the mail that way. Just a thought.

Anything over 1000 baht (including shipping fee) is subject to taxes in Thailand. So, 50 usd is not a good number. 25 usd will be better.

But again if it is lost in the mail, too much is lost. Perhaps fedex it and declare $20 usd usb stick so no taxes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=480+gb+ssd&N=-1&isNodeId=1

450 pounds usb stick vs $300 ish ssd + $20-30 usd usb3 hdd enclosure + shipito / fedex / other fees to import.

Found even cheaper ($200)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820228078

it is sata-II so write speed is 205mb/s but for usb3 usage it is perfectly enough. USB3 max reachable speeds is around 170mb/s or so.

If used one is no problem, this one costs $300 usd in total including fedex 6-7 day shipping and taxes handled by fedex.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MKNSSDCR480GB-Mushkin-Chronos-480GB-SSD-SATA-III-6-0Gbps-MLC-9-5mm-California-/261372374858?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item3cdb01ef4a

Edited by muratremix

I was quoted THB 21,500 (not incl VAT) for the Kingston USB 3.0 with EMS delivery in 7-14 days for the Kingston USB 3.0 512GB stick you are after from americanbest.co.th (Kingston agents in Thailand)

Not too bad

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/solid-state-drives-ssd/intel/solid-state-drive-ssd-520-series-480gb-sata-6gb-s-ssdsc2cw480a3k5-p010165/ costs 17940 and the enclosure another 1000.

Remember if you buy from amazon with global shipping you prepay the customs duty to them and do not have to pay any more than that.

I was quoted THB 21,500 (not incl VAT) for the Kingston USB 3.0 with EMS delivery in 7-14 days for the Kingston USB 3.0 512GB stick you are after from americanbest.co.th (Kingston agents in Thailand)

Not too bad

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/solid-state-drives-ssd/intel/solid-state-drive-ssd-520-series-480gb-sata-6gb-s-ssdsc2cw480a3k5-p010165/ costs 17940 and the enclosure another 1000.

Remember if you buy from amazon with global shipping you prepay the customs duty to them and do not have to pay any more than that.

I managed to find about 11.5k baht from ebay using global shipping (all taxes and shipping included) for brand new ssds with 480 gb capacity from US.

280-300 usd for ssd + 20-25 for shipping and 30 for taxes.

memorytoday.com sells usb3 bag for hdd/ssd as low as 290 baht (no hard case)

Not too bad

I managed to find about 11.5k baht from ebay using global shipping (all taxes and shipping included) for brand new ssds with 480 gb capacity from US.

I think they are usb2 ssds.

THe one he asked for would be more than kingston wants on ebay.

Not too bad

I think they are usb2 ssds.

THe one he asked for would be more than kingston wants on ebay.

480 gb refurb. Sata II ssd is 199 @ newegg

480 gb sata III ssds cost 280-300 usd at ebay.com

This is more like it, the price gap between the 2.5" SSD and the higher capacity USB is narrowing although this was never about price more about convenience, I'll get in touch with these guys and see what they have to say.