When the rich fix the rules, the poor lose: Thai editorial

webfact

That is exactly what is happening today in Thailand, The rich and old power structure are mad at the present government for its "populist programs" spreading part of Thailand's wealth with the less advantaged people of the country, the 30 baht health care insurance, the rice pledge-ing program, the loans to large and small villages, the improvement of infrastructure in rural Thailand, etc.

The rich see this as the money that is rightfully theirs is being spent on the poor/rural/farmers,population of the country, all the attacks on Yingluck except for a few, Amnesty bill, a fully elected Senate has to do with the "populist" policies enacted since 2001, and also by the present government. The yellow posters on TV decry the wasteful spending (populist program aimed at spreading the wealth to the other 99% of the country that needs that help).

They have resorted to use "undemocratic" methods as they are unable to win via Democratic free and equal election!

They are attacking one of their own Thaskin S. who dared defy the old powers that be, and shared the wealth with the rural population of Thailand! They arranged a military coup that forced Thaskin into exile, and are now concerned that he had awakened the sleeping Rural population that now knows the power of their vote.

Thaksin for what ever reasons he started TRT, which I think was to help enrich himself more, awakened the sleeping rural population that are now demanding their share of the Thai Pie!

There is no going back to the old business as usual that the rich are willing to tear Thailand apart for. However this current problem turns out it is not the end but the bargaining of the new born again Thailand!

Cheers

,its the middleclass that pays the taxes in all countries, thats why the people in BKK want some say about whats done with it and why they are protesting. you can be pretty sure that the only place the 1% are spreading their wealth is off shore bank accounts, the taksins included

What ARE you talking about, PhycoK? You say that "the people in BKK want some say about whats done with it and why they are protesting".

But the Bangkok people are already receiving over 70% of Thai public spending even though they are less than a fifth of the Thai population.

You people have really got to stop believing the "hard luck stories" of these Bangkok elite and their gullible followers. The Bangkok people are spongeing off the poor of the north/northeast and obviously they want that to continue for evermore: it must be great to have a horde of impoverished workers who they can get to do the menial chores!

Mr Suthep is spreading a lot of misinformation to help this campaign along: he seems to be fooling some of you! Or is it rather that many of the foreigners in Thailand want to have cheap, subservient workers to exploit?

well we await the day Isan declares its independence and stops immigrating to bangkok, be a long time coming I suspect

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question for Thailand is: Who are the rich and who are the poor.

Many people would immediately reply that the Bangkok middle class and "elite" are the rich people and the Isan farmers are the poor ones.

My personal observation is quite different. I have been in Isan repeatedly in the last 6 month and I am amazed how well off this "poor" region is. No potholes in any roads, all well kept divided 4 lane roads, beautiful big houses everywhere, new hospitals with all modern equipment, only new cars etc.

Mobile phone and Internet connection are 2 to 3 times better (faster) than Bangkok, new bank barnches opening at every corner...signs of wealth everywhere.

And no, I wa not just in Khon Kaen and Udon, I was also outside big centers, like Selaphum (outside Roi Et) and Nakon Phanom.

So please stop pretending that the poor farmers from Isan are revolting against the rich elite in Bangkok. That is simply not true. They are not the poor ones.

I have also visited other provinces and regions, like the East (Chantaburi, Trad) where I can see a totally different image: poorly maintained roads, no telecommunication infrastructure, no transportations, no new buildings, schools without teachers and teaching equipment etc. But interesting enough (but then again, maybe not surprising) these provinces have traditionally voted for the Democrates, and therefore have been neglected by the Thaksin governments.

I realize this is a personal observation but it's not a fiction.

The thai uber rich have been very clever with this. They have convinced someone earning 30k per month that he is smart, educated and middle class and that he should look down on the poor.

Who are the middle class? I would say those who earn 100k per month, and how many are they in thailand?

There is nothing wrong with people being rich if they have obtained their money honestly. If the poor want to more go out and work for it. Form unions to presure for better pay and working conditions.

Oh and don't sell your vote to corrupt polititians . It keeps you poor.

In this country if you are rich it is because you were born rich, or a member of the sino-thai merchants who made their money the old fashioned way; through corrupt officials. If all politicians are corrupt why shouldn't I sell my vote, are you giving me money for my daily constitutional down at the bamboo hut. The hubris of the expat.

goes to show you know absolutely nothing about this country, my wife comes from a very poor family that had nothing but she is now comfortable middle class. Her teacher aunty put her through school and helped her with uni and by having an excellent work ethic she climbed the ladder by working hard so that she is now in management. A lot of the poor people are there because they refuse to do anything to better themselves, its easier to bleed your relatives and others. My wife is pure thai, not sino-thai, you simply read/listen to too much propaganda crap to know what the truth really is like a lot of other posters in here. Anyone willing to do the hard yards can make it in Thailand, they just need to get off their arse and be willing to work.

• Like 2