Former chief judge says state of emergency declaration unlawful: Thailand

webfact

I'm sure there will be a lot of hair-splitting views on this, but unless someone can prove that an ex-chief judge of the Supreme Court is raving bonkers, I'll take his word on this matter.

He could well be stark raving bonkers because he's referring to a constitution that was re-written by a military junta following on from the 2006 coup d'etat. In my view, once a constitution is meddled with by an unelected bunch of generals, it becomes worthless.

It doesn't really matter what you, I or anyone else thinks. The current Constitution is the one that everyone must legally operate under until such time as it is rewritten or amended. Simple as that.

• Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This mean that they will continue performing their duties until the new cabinet is formed. It does not mean that they still have authority to perform duties under the Constitution

How can they perform their duties if they don't have authority to perform their duties?

The clue is in the word "caretaker"; they can keep things ticking along and carry out the tasks that were decided upon before "caretaker" status, but no more. This is because a caretaker government only lasts until the next election.

But he says they don't have the authority.

I'm sure there will be a lot of hair-splitting views on this, but unless someone can prove that an ex-chief judge of the Supreme Court is raving bonkers, I'll take his word on this matter.

He could well be stark raving bonkers because he's referring to a constitution that was re-written by a military junta following on from the 2006 coup d'etat. In my view, once a constitution is meddled with by an unelected bunch of generals, it becomes worthless.

Even if it's 95% the same as the previous "people's constitution"?

This mean that they will continue performing their duties until the new cabinet is formed. It does not mean that they still have authority to perform duties under the Constitution

How can they perform their duties if they don't have authority to perform their duties?

The clue is in the word "caretaker"; they can keep things ticking along and carry out the tasks that were decided upon before "caretaker" status, but no more. This is because a caretaker government only lasts until the next election.

But he says they don't have the authority.

They don't have the authority to do anything apart from keeping things ticking along and carry out tasks that were decided on before caretaker status.

The SOE was declared during caretaker status.

Typical bias yellow judge nonsense. Part of the democratic reforms proposed by both sides should include purging the bias judiciary, EC, "checks and balances" etc and replace them with neutral, objective people.

Sort of correct. It's not yellow nonsense, merely the usual legal nonsense that sensible people cannot understand. I don't understand myself, however I'm sure that it's a valid legal opinion. Not sensible, but legal.

To follow the spirit of the constitution it's probably the Senate that should be able to do something while there is only a caretaker government.

Opinion only.

Well until such time as they reform the laws and the constitution to remove bias, uncertainty, loopholes and grey areas, we're stuck with what we've got for now.

As others have posted, things seem to be able to be interpreted very loosely currently but that's what the Constitution Court is there for, biased or not.

As a certain Mr Shakespeare might have said in his play, The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, the suicide solilioquy

"The Constitution Courts interpretation whistling.gif , Ay, there's the rub".

That's just silly. So according to that interpretation of the constitution, a caretaker government has in fact, zero authority to do anything?

What it means is that they lose their powers to enact any new actions but must continue with the every day duties. So they can pay the farmers from money the coffers already have, since there is nothing left ( for whatever reason ) they can't pay, however they are not allowed to seek loans as this would be a new action. They can only act doing their normal day to day duties and can't do anything else outside of those defined duties. Invoking a State Of Emergency likewise would be a new action and not a continuation of their duties before dissolution.

Simple really...

Typical bias yellow judge nonsense. Part of the democratic reforms proposed by both sides should include purging the bias judiciary, EC, "checks and balances" etc and replace them with neutral, objective people.

'Bias' would define what you just posted.

The courts are following the law and the constitution and doing their jobs properly. Just because it doesn't go the way you like, doesn't make it wrong.

That's just silly. So according to that interpretation of the constitution, a caretaker government has in fact, zero authority to do anything?

Silly yes, I wouldn't mind betting he had some input into it's implementation; he was also implicated in the airport shutdown.

.........approved by Thaksin. That has been the Thaksinists policy for some time now, and it's another fine mess you've got us into Moonie.

This crony worked for suthep. Thaksin is no longer in Thailand so why do you keep referring to him.

Very simple reason. Thaksin and his clan still has control of the Thailand government

and has been running it onto the ground, along with the national finances and general goodwill.

Edited by animatic

Perhaps this eminent retired judge could offer an opinion on the constitutional status of seditious attempts to overthrow an elected government and replace it with an unelected junta.

The main point of the thread is that PTP are not the elected government, they are the caretaker government. You might like to ask this erudite gentleman if attempts to overthrow a caretaker government constitutes sedition.

<snip>

There were demands for a peoples council before parliament was dissolved.

28th November 2013:

Mr Suthep stepped down from politics to launch what he has described as protests to wipe out the "political machine of Thaksin". Mr Suthep led demonstrators who surrounded and occupied government buildings, while urging them to stay non-violent. As to his goal, he wants the government replaced with an unelected "people's council" to pick the country's leaders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25116427

9th December 2013:

Bangkok, Thailand (CNN) -- Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra dissolved the nation's parliament Monday and called for new elections. But the move did little to appease anti-government protesters who remained on the streets by the thousands.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/09/world/asia/thailand-protests/

Perhaps you might explain that to the "erudite gentleman" whilst you're at it.

Those 'demands' are irrelavant in the eyes of the law to the question at hand. The caretakers can not take any new actions whilst caretakers. If they declared a state of emergency before they became caretakers then that would continue through their caretakership ( so to speak ) but they can't start it as caretakers.

No! As caretaker she has no authority to make rulings as pm. Also as stated: Nothing changed in the way people were protesting. That was their excuse for doing this. A few acts or terrorism does not grant authority to invoke SOE.ridiculous to believe it should have been done. The thais constitutiob grants the thai people to hold peaceful demonstrations. One other point: Threatening is not considered a violent act and for the most part this is all the protesters have done that i have seen or read about.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A peaceful demonstration is not cutting a city's arteries and closing down it's management and administration. If they want to hold a rally in a park after parading through the streets that's fine. What ensued was not. The police have been told to be as restrained as possible and are doing so.

The army helped the police guarding the ballot papers and ensured that they went out safely yesterday after a mob turned up with the intention of torching them, the democrats seem hell bent on ending democracy in Thailand; what a misnomer of a name these guys have!

• Like 1

.........approved by Thaksin. That has been the Thaksinists policy for some time now, and it's another fine mess you've got us into Moonie.

This crony worked for suthep. Thaksin is no longer in Thailand so why do you keep referring to him.

Crony worked for Suthep? With a 2 minute google I was able to find a reference to him being deputy chief judge over 14 years ago. but a distinguished career is nothing compared to the unfounded accusations of a pair of anonymous sycophants to a fugitive criminal.

When Thaksin is DEAD, I will stop referring to his criminality.

Thaksin is the chief puppeteer in this mess.

Crony worked for Suthep? With a 2 minute google I was able to find a reference to him being deputy chief judge over 14 years ago. but a distinguished career is nothing compared to the unfounded accusations of a pair of anonymous sycophants to a fugitive criminal.

When Thaksin is DEAD, I will stop referring to his criminality.

I wish Suthep's glasses to be crushed. And wish him of the streets so life goes on in lovely Thailand. But from your post I sense hatred as if a dead Thaksin is a reason for to stop referring. How did Thaksin harm YOU (so severe) and what is your opinion about Suthep's followers threathening a 10 year old who happens to be a child on a school with a mother being PM? I wish nobody an early dead. An exception might be when they start harming children.

We all know who these "judges" answer to! Do this people not realize what they are doing to their country?

They always complain about "foreigners" not understanding what is going on here - when it is stupid comments like this from a "former" judge that make us think of Thailand being one big "Kindergarten" - of course they are still duty bound and have to adhere to the constitution otherwise the country would be ungovernable for several month between elections - no country can afford that!

Does the judge want to say that every non elected "interim" government after every coup in Thailand had no authority to govern the country?

And why would a constitutional court rule that a protest is peaceful and constitutional when it clearly is not in any "normal" country legitimate protests have to be approved and are confined to previously agreed areas in order not to infringe on the rights of others.

If protestors overstep this border they are dealt with according to the law. Since when can it be legal to try and shut down the capital city of a country, breach hatred and racism on stages - insult the prime minister at a primitive sexist level never seen before - live on TV?

There is something very wrong if a judge does not see that and makes him rather look like a clown than a man who once belonged to the highest court of this country.

It is people like him who are supposed to be impartial but speak out to further a political agenda who give Thailand a bad name internationally - a country where the judiciary can be "swayed" by influential people or bought by the rich.

A country like this is internationally seen as a so called "Banana Republic"

Edited by Cnxforever
  • Like 2

I wish Suthep's glasses to be crushed. And wish him of the streets so life goes on in lovely Thailand.

Life appears to be going on pretty much as normal in lovely Thailand, even in Bangkok, where protesters seem to be going to work every day and spending their free time demonstrating

But from your post I sense hatred as if a dead Thaksin is a reason for to stop referring. How did Thaksin harm YOU (so severe) and what is your opinion about Suthep's followers threathening a 10 year old who happens to be a child on a school with a mother being PM?

This has already been proven as Shinawatra propaganda via Khaosod several times. When asked, the school confirmed there was no factual basis to the claims.

I wish nobody an early dead.

Well at least there's something most people could hopefully agree on, but perhaps you could appeal to those behind the string of attacks on demonstrators.

An exception might be when they start harming children.

I wish Suthep's glasses to be crushed. And wish him of the streets so life goes on in lovely Thailand.

Life appears to be going on pretty much as normal in lovely Thailand, even in Bangkok, where protesters seem to be going to work every day and spending their free time demonstrating

But from your post I sense hatred as if a dead Thaksin is a reason for to stop referring. How did Thaksin harm YOU (so severe) and what is your opinion about Suthep's followers threathening a 10 year old who happens to be a child on a school with a mother being PM?

This has already been proven as Shinawatra propaganda via Khaosod several times. When asked, the school confirmed there was no factual basis to the claims.

I wish nobody an early dead.

Well at least there's something most people could hopefully agree on, but perhaps you could appeal to those behind the string of attacks on demonstrators.

An exception might be when they start harming children.

Life is not normal in Bangkok. A Korean delegation cancelled their visit to me today. Hotels are half empty. 48 countries issued a negative travel advice. Yingluck's has been threatened: my sources are better than Khaosod or a school director who decides better to stay neutral. Shootings behind the scenes: any proof who did that? But it is in the line of imagination it is the side who sees their majority votes being raped by a group of anarchists threathening to CAPTURE individuals. Or did Khaosod say this was a Thaksin press release?

I think they might be trying to say that they still have to perform the duties of the ministers (as caretakers) but do not have status as ministers. Since only the PM can call a SOE and she is not PM, only 'filling in' for PM, she can't call one.

But not sure if that is right or makes sense either. Wouldn't all of the other duties be for ministers and PM only also? or are other duties spelled out as for ministers and PM or 'others, as authorized"?

Read article 181. There are several English translations. Tulsathit was discussing on twitter today and brought this up, but of course Abhisit did the same thing. If it causes problems for the election (access to info etc.), and if it went to court, it would be up to the opinion of the judges. A lot of ifs.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

whats reason for SOE anyway the protesters are peaceful and anyway government have said they wont stop demonstrations so what on earth is SOE for and why. Unlike 2010 theirs no red shirt mob burning buses shooting and all rest so logically only reason can be because government are running around like headless chickens with no idea what to do

Perhaps this eminent retired judge could offer an opinion on the constitutional status of seditious attempts to overthrow an elected government and replace it with an unelected junta.

The main point of the thread is that PTP are not the elected government, they are the caretaker government. You might like to ask this erudite gentleman if attempts to overthrow a caretaker government constitutes sedition.

<snip>

There were demands for a peoples council before parliament was dissolved.

28th November 2013:

Mr Suthep stepped down from politics to launch what he has described as protests to wipe out the "political machine of Thaksin". Mr Suthep led demonstrators who surrounded and occupied government buildings, while urging them to stay non-violent. As to his goal, he wants the government replaced with an unelected "people's council" to pick the country's leaders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25116427

9th December 2013:

Bangkok, Thailand (CNN) -- Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra dissolved the nation's parliament Monday and called for new elections. But the move did little to appease anti-government protesters who remained on the streets by the thousands.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/09/world/asia/thailand-protests/

Perhaps you might explain that to the "erudite gentleman" whilst you're at it.

Those 'demands' are irrelavant in the eyes of the law to the question at hand. The caretakers can not take any new actions whilst caretakers. If they declared a state of emergency before they became caretakers then that would continue through their caretakership ( so to speak ) but they can't start it as caretakers.

What if I were to posit the scenario of a government in power that accepted the level of demonstrations at first, then as the demonstrations continued, agreed to dissolve parliament as a way of showing their commitment to the democratic process.

They then become a caretaker government, arranging with the Election Commission to hold an election within the timescale decreed by the constitution (in an ideal world and without a politically tainted EC to deal with).

However the demonstrations get out of hand and violent incidents resulting in injuries and the loss of life occur.

With me so far?

Now according to your version of events, the caretaker government cannot call a state of emergency precisely because they are a caretaker government.

As the election date nears, the demonstrations get more and more out of hand, muslims in mosques are harassed, monks harassed, more violence and deaths occur, but because of some alleged law or constitution article an Emergency Decree still can't be raised because they are a caretaker government.

What do you think the reality of that being the case is, I mean really?

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

Thaksin was expired as ACTING Caretaker PM.

He went to the palace and returned with a "no comment".

He was NOT given the position after his 'time dependent term' expired.

Though the laws on this point were not clear; What happens when a caretaker times out?

He then quit and his deputy took over the job.

A week later Thaksin unilaterally took the PM job back.

He was not sworn in to a second caretaker term, or as PM.

One thing was clear a PM must be sworn in, and resigning and having it accepted, restarts that process

Thaksin then did not say he was Caretaker PM he publicly called himself PM.

He then went to the UN in New York saying he was "Prime Minister Of Thailand",

to give a speech, that he effectively did not have the authority to give in that name.

There were also comments prior to departure he would create an SOE or Marshall Law.

There was a coup to remove him.

His 'legend' always says he was the PM removed from office.

But the reality is he was an expired caretaker PM,

and could be seen as acting as an usurper of the PM position.

Excellent post on the historical aspects of Thaksin's removal. Can you provide more on the events leading up to "Thaksin was expired as acting Caretaker PM." ? Or a link to an unbiased source of information on same? thanks in advance

It is out in the historical record but.

Thaksin won and election, but came within a hairs breadth of being removed for fiscal shenanigans by the Supreme Court.

Anywhere else he would have been removed, but they logic'd, he had just won a big election so we will ignore it.

During his term he hamstrung checks and balances agencies and sued any and all attempts to expose malfeasances.

This generated much bad feeling, in both the press and those losing to his schemes.

He mortgaged the country to Singapore for decades to pay off the IMF loans early removing the fiscal responsibility measures that came with the loans, allowing his regime greater leeway to do as they wished, simultaneously blaming those measures and the IMF for not making everyone rich.

He was re-elected, using public funds as populist perks, for the people in Issan and his Rice Network political machine

to ensure they voted for his parties. with in days he dictated to the parliament that the tax laws be changed to ones that favored his immediate business aims.

2 DAYS later

he sold his telecom business to Temasek, Singapore's investment branch, using proxies, while hiding much of the money

with his children and using off shore accounts to launder the funds. Then avoided paying $16 million in taxes due while saying he is doing all he can to help Thailands poor. This was the final straw for most all in opposition.

Thus started the PAD rallies, and a general upswelling of Anti-Thajksin sentiment.

The rise of the Caravan of The Poor, Rak Udon, Rak Chaing Mai and the Red Shirts et al as a street branch of his political parties.

He called a snap election just months after winning re-election in an effort to say ' See, the people don't care about my not paying taxes and selling the telecom company... I can do what I want.'

Then gets into the botched election, the entire election commission kicked out and eventually actually doing jail time,

The replacement election commission, the times out Caretaker PM status and resignation.

PAD increasing the rallies. TRT politicians marching from the park with Red shirts and slipping off, just before the Red Shirts attack a PAD group with machettes and slingshots.

Add the utterly faked attempted bomb assassination but some patsy from the DSI Attempts to use that for Marshall Law.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------

This is just a fraction of the Thaksin related bull poop I have observed since I've lived here.

Excuse me, and I know you won't answer but what percentage of the total that he received for selling his own company was this 16 million dollars of unpaid CGT?

1%?

2%?

2.5%?

Astronomical figures what?

What percentage would the lawyers and tax accountants have got?

1%?

2%?

2.5%

In France it's a minimum of 1% just to check the figures and 28% CGT? same in UK.

This is why the rich just get richer in Thailand and they can put on this jamboree we have currently on the streets.

Though the laws on this point were not clear; What happens when a caretaker times out?

One thing was clear a PM must be sworn in, and resigning and having it accepted, restarts that process

to give a speech, that he effectively did not have the authority to give in that name.

There were also comments prior to departure he would create an SOE or Marshall Law.

Excellent post on the historical aspects of Thaksin's removal. Can you provide more on the events leading up to "Thaksin was expired as acting Caretaker PM." ? Or a link to an unbiased source of information on same? thanks in advance

Thaksin won and election, but came within a hairs breadth of being removed for fiscal shenanigans by the Supreme Court.

Anywhere else he would have been removed, but they logic'd, he had just won a big election so we will ignore it.

During his term he hamstrung checks and balances agencies and sued any and all attempts to expose malfeasances.

This generated much bad feeling, in both the press and those losing to his schemes.

He mortgaged the country to Singapore for decades to pay off the IMF loans early removing the fiscal responsibility measures that came with the loans, allowing his regime greater leeway to do as they wished, simultaneously blaming those measures and the IMF for not making everyone rich.

He was re-elected, using public funds as populist perks, for the people in Issan and his Rice Network political machine

to ensure they voted for his parties. with in days he dictated to the parliament that the tax laws be changed to ones that favored his immediate business aims.

2 DAYS later

he sold his telecom business to Temasek, Singapore's investment branch, using proxies, while hiding much of the money

with his children and using off shore accounts to launder the funds. Then avoided paying $16 million in taxes due while saying he is doing all he can to help Thailands poor. This was the final straw for most all in opposition.

Thus started the PAD rallies, and a general upswelling of Anti-Thajksin sentiment.

The rise of the Caravan of The Poor, Rak Udon, Rak Chaing Mai and the Red Shirts et al as a street branch of his political parties.

He called a snap election just months after winning re-election in an effort to say ' See, the people don't care about my not paying taxes and selling the telecom company... I can do what I want.'

Then gets into the botched election, the entire election commission kicked out and eventually actually doing jail time,

The replacement election commission, the times out Caretaker PM status and resignation.

PAD increasing the rallies. TRT politicians marching from the park with Red shirts and slipping off, just before the Red Shirts attack a PAD group with machettes and slingshots.

Add the utterly faked attempted bomb assassination but some patsy from the DSI Attempts to use that for Marshall Law.

This is just a fraction of the Thaksin related bull poop I have observed since I've lived here.

Excuse me, and I know you won't answer but what percentage of the total that he received for selling his own company was this 16 million dollars of unpaid CGT?

1%?

2%?

2.5%?

1%?

2%?

2.5%

In France it's a minimum of 1% just to check the figures and 28% CGT? same in UK.

This is why the rich just get richer in Thailand and they can put on this jamboree we have currently on the streets.

It was front page news for years Parrot look it up yourself.

2 DAYS later

1%?

2%?

2.5%?

1%?

2%?

2.5%

It was front page news for years Parrot look it up yourself.

See you won't answer.

Pathetic.

Incidentally Korn, former deputy leader of the democrats, did the same thing in opposition.

Not pay the tax.

His answer "well I'm not the prime minister, na na na nana!"

I'm somewhat mystified by this post, given that Thailand doesn't have a capital gains tax.

I'm somewhat mystified by this post, given that Thailand doesn't have a capital gains tax.

Yes

On sale of property it's 2.5%.

That's what a former landlord was paying when she sold one of her properties.

my point was that the tax ammount that was avoided or circumvented by the lawyers adds up to a very small part of the total. Thaksin ended up with almost 2000 million dollars.

So the figure of 16 million is put there to sensationalize.

Furthermore i thought that Dtac was sold to a group of norwegian investors prior to thaksin selling shin.

Nobody protested about that sale to foreigners did they?