Islamic officials slam PCAD's mosque siege

webfact

Islamic Officials Slam PCAD's Mosque Siege

By Khaosod english

trat.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Muslim officials have reacted angrily to reports that anti-government protesters disrupted a prayer session at a mosque in Trang province.

The incident, which reportedly took place on 20 January at Sulo Mosque in Palian district, was first reported by Muslim Thai news website.

The news site stated that a group of young children were performing a prayer session and attending religious studies at the mosque when over 300 supporters of People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) marched to Solo Mosque, shut down the mosque′s front gate, and loudly blew their whistles.

The protesters reportedly demanded that the Muslims must cease all activities inside mosque immediately, including the religious lectures in the mosque′s religious school.

According Muslim Thai, although a Muslim cleric tried to explain that the religious activities at the mosque cannot be stopped, his explanation was ignored by the protesters, some of whom were allegedly intoxicated.

When the cleric threatened call a local district chief to resolve the matter, a leader of the protesters replied that he is welcomed to do so, as the protesters will also call for reinforcements, according to the report. Muslim Thai also alleged that a protester fired a shot in front of Sulo Mosque as a threat.

The Muslims then reportedly decided to cancel the prayer session and religious studies.

The news site also quoted Dr. Wisoot Binlateh, a local coordinator of Sheikh-ul-Islam Office, as saying that the protesters′ act of intimidation is a grave danger to Muslims.

"I feel deeply insulted and hurt," Dr. Wisoot was quoted as saying.

Mr. Saman Liprapat, a Trang-based board member of the Central Islamic Council of Thailand (CICT), told Khaosod that he is similarly angered by the incident.

"The religious activities at the mosque are unrelated to politics," Mr. Saman insisted.

He said he has been informed that PCAD protesters targeted the religious studies at the mosque because they were attempting to close down all state agencies and public schools in the province as a part of region-wide "shutdown" campaign ordered by PCAD leader, Mr. Suthep Thaugsuban.

The religious school, in which more than 500 students are enrolled, at Sulo Mosque teaches both religious studies and public school curriculum, Mr. Saman said, but he added that the protesters have no rights to disrupt the school activities since they were held in the same compound with a place of worship.

"I plan to raise this issue at the meeting of Trang′s Central Islamic Council of Thailand this February for their consideration for further action," Mr. Sama told our correspondent, "We want every person related to this event summoned and explain themselves about what happened".

He also suggested that the Sheik-ul-Islam Office in Bangkok should deliver a statement urging all Muslims to avoid being manipulated by any political side in the ongoing crisis.

Meanwhile, Mr. Sathapon Prathumthong, Palien District Chief, told Khaosod that the Imaam of Sulo Mosque has closed down the religious school for a day on 21 January, but has since resumed its operations.

He said he has discussed the issue with both the Imaam and leaders of the protesters, and gathered that the protesters did not intend to disrupt the religious service at the mosque. PCAD leaders in Trang province are also planning to issue a statement of apology, Mr. Sathapon said.

However, Mr. Sompong Kongkliang, a member of Palian Subdistrict Administrative Organisation and a leader of provincial PCAD group, said he has not been informed in details about the incident at Sulo Mosque.

He said he was merely aware that the demonstrators were marching in Sulo subdistrict to close down state agencies and public schools. Nevertheless, Mr. Sompong promised that he would inquire about the matter from other PCAD leaders and reach an understanding with them.

Muslims make up approximately 4-5% of the Thai population, and the southern region of the country is predominantly Muslim.

The southern region is also a major stronghold of anti-government protest movements and their main supporter, the Democrat Party.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1EUTJORFUwTVE9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-01-23

• Like 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with disrupting a praying session but:

A bunch of guys disrupting a praying session by closing the gate and blowing whistles is not really a siege...

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

Again - not accusing all, but considering the hundreds of bombs that go off in the south every year...... puts a new light on the bangs in bangkok if they pi**ed the wrong people off....

I should correct - and say "more bangs" as if the paper has the details correct it only happened 3 days ago..

Edited by airconsult
  • Like 2

Well, that has just made life easier for the Army down there.

Maybe they will be so busy down there dealing with a few thousand insurgents that the Coup will have to go on the back burner.

Of they may remember how difficult it is to keep order in 3 provinces and wonder just how difficult it would be to maintain it in 3/4 of the Country where the population remember the killigs and live fire zones of 2010.

Should stick to harrassing Monks... They are not noted for fighting to the death for slights against their religion. This might just give the PDRC their first arse kicking and awaken them to the fact they do not have universal approval in thailand.

Media yes, Courts, yes, Institutions yes, population NO!!! Not now, not ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN5TluWr5OU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Like 2

A bunch of guys disrupting a praying session by closing the gate and blowing whistles is not really a siege...

A Siege, maybe not, but there's disruption by closing a gate and blowing whistles and then there's

The protesters reportedly demanded that the Muslims must cease all activities inside mosque immediately, including the religious lectures in the mosque′s religious school.

According Muslim Thai, although a Muslim cleric tried to explain that the religious activities at the mosque cannot be stopped, his explanation was ignored by the protesters, some of whom were allegedly intoxicated.

When the cleric threatened call a local district chief to resolve the matter, a leader of the protesters replied that he is welcomed to do so, as the protesters will also call for reinforcements, according to the report.

So what part of that "disruption" are you defending?

Edited by fab4
  • Like 2

Suthep isn't winning and friends and losing a lot of them.

Pretty much the whole country is against him at this stage. He is going down, the question is will he take the country down with him ? unfortunaltely it looks that way.

• Like 1

Why would PCAD deliberately disrupt a Muslim school?

I suspect you would have to ask them. Do you think it was accidental harassment, that they confused government house with the local mosque?

Edited by fab4
  • Like 2

Look at the protessters in the OP!! Thai middleclass?? More like rent-a-mob from the south, including 14-15 year old schoolkids (probably only 200 baht/day).

Not even Suthep would support something as stupid as this, so it just proves, he is not able to control his thugs!!coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Why would PCAD deliberately disrupt a Muslim school?

I suspect you would have to ask them. Do you think it was accidental harassment, that they confused government house with the local mosque?

It seems they "confused" a public school with a muslim school.

"The religious activities at the mosque are unrelated to politics," Mr. Saman insisted.

I googled Buddhist monks killed in southern Thailand and got 812,000 results in 0.30 seconds.

Try to google Tak Bai and Krung See!!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I googled Buddhist monks killed in southern Thailand and got 812,000 results in 0.30 seconds.

I just Googled "Muslims killed in Southern Thailand" and got 1,040,000 results (0.41 seconds)

• Like 1

Pretty much the whole country is against him at this stage. He is going down, the question is will he take the country down with him ? unfortunaltely it looks that way.

He will take the country down and to paraphrase (or add to) a recent horse related analogy.

Suthep will kill the horse to get Thaksin off it and then there is no horse!!!

Army cannot control country and the Joke Navy thinking of sending their aircraft carrier up to Udon thani or Isaan to intall order. :)

Are people saying this PDRC mob is educated and has strategeis that could benefit Thailand?

Suthep and his clique are the only people who can benefit and things are getting desperate now so have to stir it up.

Will the Army be heading to Trang now to protect the PDRC from the resulting death threats? These guys can carry a grudge and the idiots involved are posting selfies on FB... or to put it another way, marking themselves down for retribution. Now, the usual penalty for crimes against Islam is death... Might be wrong, but I have heard that many times.

Maybe old Suthep is going to have to head south to appease them. Bit further than he had to travel to pacify the mad monk at Cheang wattana isn't it.

• Like 2

A Siege, maybe not, but there's disruption by closing a gate and blowing whistles and then there's

When the cleric threatened call a local district chief to resolve the matter, a leader of the protesters replied that he is welcomed to do so, as the protesters will also call for reinforcements, according to the report.

So what part of that "disruption" are you defending?

If you can read you know that I don't defend any part. I am just questioning why the word SIEGE is used!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege

He will take the country down and to paraphrase (or add to) a recent horse related analogy.

Suthep will kill the horse to get Thaksin off it and then there is no horse!!!

Army cannot control country and the Joke Navy thinking of sending their aircraft carrier up to Udon thani or Isaan to intall order. smile.png

Are people saying this PDRC mob is educated and has strategeis that could benefit Thailand?

Suthep and his clique are the only people who can benefit and things are getting desperate now so have to stir it up.

Will the Army be heading to Trang now to protect the PDRC from the resulting death threats? These guys can carry a grudge and the idiots involved are posting selfies on FB... or to put it another way, marking themselves down for retribution. Now, the usual penalty for crimes against Islam is death... Might be wrong, but I have heard that many times.

Maybe old Suthep is going to have to head south to appease them. Bit further than he had to travel to pacify the mad monk at Cheang wattana isn't it.

At least if there's no horse there will be no horse shit and Thailand will be a cleaner place for that. wai2.gif

I have only one question in muslin case.

(I'm not racist my favorite college is a muslin person)

So, how many place are there in the strong muslin countries to pray for Buddhist, Christian, etc. people?

Hope you think like me, .... that is Zero.

They are so aggressive and world let them.

I have only one question in muslin case.

(I'm not racist my favorite college is a muslin person)

So, how many place are there in the strong muslin countries to pray for Buddhist, Christian, etc. people?

Hope you think like me, .... that is Zero.

They are so aggressive and world let them.

Oh dear....

• Like 1