Need help deciding between CRF L & CRF M

Hey there, Im buying a new bike to replace my craptastic platinum motorcross, I love my awful bike, its awesome, but I need something new and better now. Basically its for Bangkok traffic, need the ability to jump curbs (you know, for when those ninjas randomly attack) and the occasional trip to Pattaya. I do like having the option to offroad as my work involves the potential to need to use the bike on offroad. Is the Honda CRF L or CRF M a better choice for me, I understand the M is slightly? more road worthy and less offroad? is that correct? It is mostly for Bangkok streets, I just dont want to buy the M and never be able to offroad. Thanks for any info.

With suitable tires the M would suit your purpose well. Tires are made for 80% on / 20% off road.

While a compromise, they will work way better in the dirt/gravel than street tires, while being suitable on the pavement.

The M will have a bigger front brake rotor and possibly a stronger brake?

The M would have slightly lower suspension and maybe stiffer springs?

Basically the bikes are identical aside from the wheels and associated suspension/brake changes.

Mostly off-road with some street "L"

Mostly street with some off-road "M"

L.

But for 48,000B you can also get the SYM Enduro 200cc. Not craptastic. I'm quite happy with mine. Made in Taiwan.

Sym.jpg

I am considering a CRF, but it is a little outside my budget, you seem to like the Sym and I like the price, what are the pros and cons.

Having traded with a Taiwanese company in the past and been there, I personally put them on a par with Japan. Okay the Japs have a wealth of experience in motorbikes, but the Taiwainese are fast learners, have had a very high standard of education for decades, which means the current workforce and push Japan very hard when it comes to build quality.

Without hijacking the thread, please tell me more. What about the physical size of the bike, the CRF is a good size for me, is the Sym smaller?

The M will have a bigger front brake rotor and possibly a stronger brake?

The M would have slightly lower suspension and maybe stiffer springs?

Basically the bikes are identical aside from the wheels and associated suspension/brake changes.

Mostly off-road with some street "L"

Mostly street with some off-road "M"

not sure about the suspension but that pretty much sums it up !

I did the full inter-changeable L to M conversion and the M is much nicer to ride on the road as it seems to be a better fit of bike (for me anyway) and the street tires also give you a bit more confidence... althou never had a issue with the L tires on the road

Having said that, if i had to choose between the 2, i would have to take the L as i use it mainly for off-road and just use a scooter for around town.

L.

But for 48,000B you can also get the SYM Enduro 200cc. Not craptastic. I'm quite happy with mine. Made in Taiwan.

Sym.jpg

I am considering a CRF, but it is a little outside my budget, you seem to like the Sym and I like the price, what are the pros and cons.

Having traded with a Taiwanese company in the past and been there, I personally put them on a par with Japan. Okay the Japs have a wealth of experience in motorbikes, but the Taiwainese are fast learners, have had a very high standard of education for decades, which means the current workforce and push Japan very hard when it comes to build quality.

Without hijacking the thread, please tell me more. What about the physical size of the bike, the CRF is a good size for me, is the Sym smaller?

The biggest upside to me is that I spent 1/3 the money and feel like I got a bike as good as that which can be had from the Japanese big 4. In Japans "Flying Geese Paradigm", Japan is 1st tier, Taiwan is second tier, and China is 4th. I had read that this bike borrows a lot of tech from older Honda and Suzuki models. The engine is a Honda design, for example. I have spent some time on a CRF250L and a D-Dracker 250. To me feels to be the exact same size and almost the same power. Faster than a PCX so I am happy with that. Downsides: There is no gas gauge. And I was not very happy to learn that the dealer gave it to me with the switch on reserve. The gearbox is not smooth, but neither was the Ninja's. The rear sets vibrate, so I plan to replace them.

HondaBros200 and SYM M-Bike Enduro 200 look very, very similar, but the SYM gets a USD fork, disk brakes front and rear, and LED turn signals.

129255416250.jpg

Bros-2012.jpg

enduro1.png

Edited by NomadJoe

re... buying a SYM bike.. not knocking the quality as i've never seen it but what do you do when you need common after-market parts such as engine casings /oil air filter/ brake pads / clutch / cables etc...

Edited by dec

re... buying a SYM bike.. not knocking the quality as i've never seen it but what do you do when you need common after-market parts such as engine casings /oil air filter/ brake pads / clutch / cables etc...

Same thing you do with your Honda or Kawasaki. Take it to one of the 189 dealers listed on their website. www.sym-thailand.co.th/ (I assume you mean common replacement parts, not aftermarket. After market by definition is non-factory made upgrades and accessories, which by the way you can also get fairly easily as lot's of stuff that fits the CRF and KLX fit the M-Bike.)

Edited by NomadJoe

L.

Sym.jpg

AFAIK that bike is neither made by Sym nor in Taiwan, but a Chinese product labeled as M-Bike, which is also the name of the company which sells the bike here as well as the local Sym distributor for Thailand. Not suggesting that this makes the bike any less good / desireable or whatever in any way, shape or form, just trying to debunk some possible incorrect info.

• Like 2

^

so its basically a blatant chinese copy off the honda bros200 which is mentioned in this thread,i have never heard off the honda bros200 and to be honest that looks like a pile of <deleted> swell,although obviously reliable if its a honda

With suitable tires the M would suit your purpose well. Tires are made for 80% on / 20% off road.

While a compromise, they will work way better in the dirt/gravel than street tires, while being suitable on the pavement.

I own an M and is a very good bike but the tires are road winners which are not 80%on-20%off , so they do tend to be a little slippery on wet dirt and because the wheel rims are 17" on the M, finding dual purpose tires is a problem, I use the M at a ratio of about 60%road and 40% off , and I have not found any tires that will suit in the 17" size rim, I am seriously considering changing to 18" wheels where the tire option are slightly better.

I own an M and is a very good bike but the tires are road winners which are not 80%on-20%off , so they do tend to be a little slippery on wet dirt and because the wheel rims are 17" on the M, finding dual purpose tires is a problem, I use the M at a ratio of about 60%road and 40% off , and I have not found any tires that will suit in the 17" size rim, I am seriously considering changing to 18" wheels where the tire option are slightly better.

Can you look at importing the tires ? Like Continental TCK80 or Shinko 705. That will keep the bike lower, unless of course you enjoy swapping wheels around.

Edited by paz