Thailand Is Only the Tip of Asia's Iceberg

webfact

By William Pesek

TOKYO: -- Rather than add my voice to the chorus pointing out how much damage ongoing protests are doing to Thailand’s economy, I’m tempted to skip ahead and write its obituary. Cause of death: suicide.

What else is there to say about the semi-permanent state of emergency and political gridlock in Bangkok? Sooner or later, foreign companies are going to start voting with their feet, as Kyoichi Tanada, president of Toyota Motor Corp.’s Thai unit, warned this week. Tourists fearing canceled flights and the odd bomb explosion are going to stop filling the beaches. Neighboring countries are going to look for other solutions to their logistical and infrastructure needs.

In their give-no-quarter battle for supremacy, Thai politicians aren’t just making Democrats and Republicans in Washington seem reasonable: They are also destroying the country’s potential.

Scarily, though, the region may have an even bigger problem to worry about. The circuslike dysfunction in Bangkok is unique. The weaknesses being exposed there are not. From Thailand to Indonesia to Malaysia -- even as far as India -- Asian nations are displaying an extremely worrying set of shared vulnerabilities. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-23/thailand-is-only-the-tip-of-asia-s-iceberg.html

-- Bloomberg 2014-01-24

Two different topics.
1. Political Instability hurting economy
2. weak economical leadership

Point 1 is appears to be simply the pitch for point 2 and, as some may point out, may even contradict point 2.
Political stability is desirerable, but I hate when democracy is being played off against against prosperity.
Toyota can insinuate all day long...

• Like 2

"as the Bernanke bubble deflates", so will the American economy, which only has two ways to go...either they keep printing money, until people will need a wheelbarrow full of it, to buy a loaf of bread (like in Nazi Germany), or they are heading for a major deflation and depression.

Maybe, they should look at their own problems, because I think SE Asia, will still be around, long after the "American Empire" falls

A weak economic leadership is better than political instability. He is right, the Thai economy will suffer greatly if this continues. The fascist yellow shirts have to learn how to respect democratic decisions, or else things are not going to end well.

Of course it affects the economy.

And measures such as occupying the stock market or the aviation agency are jut plain stupid in this context.

But what we see is a sizable support for these demonstrations which again take place in a complex social and political enviroment.

You can call them fascist - but apparently they want to fight it out.

The point is to favour this dialogue over eternal economical obediance and let things mature from inside.

Edited by rideride

Pointing fingers is all what is going on in here, but the matter of the fact is that something is brewing in the whole world.

Some say financial collapse, some say environment, others say bubbles, some even goes as to say WW3.

The Main problem is no one actually cares anymore, all the politicians are dictating laws and rules over everybodys head now a days, NDAA, ACTA, SOPA. and most of there laws are akready in Place, just look at Agenda 21, Bad business and I thought when I saw the case 8 years ago was a joke. But look at it now, Every country has a Agenda 21 (Just google it "Agenda "Country or City name") or Sustainable Development, What a good name for something which looks and smells like crap. Well I dont know but I just hope we are not heading for any of the above problems. PEace to everybody Brothers and Sisters, Mothers and Farthers. .

Doing business in Asia per say is difficult and with a certain amount of danger either with corruption or political intrigue , some area's are no-go area's , Thailand is now on a slow downward spiral , unless this hate and public disobedience is brought under control with mature dialog , all brought about by the shadow man in Dubai, marvellous what one person can do in a life time.bah.gif

This is the problem. Little seems to be improving in thailand. Corruption, education, legal system, logistics, etc

Then throw in political instability and protests with their own natural disaster every now and again.

Golf and UV lights. It has its benefits I suppose.

It's called being collectivistic, as opposed to individualistic.

However, the thick b'stards think being individualistic means not caring about family.

Is there an uncorrupt psychologist in Thailand? 5555+

Edited by Sunisalom

A weak economic leadership is better than political instability. He is right, the Thai economy will suffer greatly if this continues. The fascist yellow shirts have to learn how to respect democratic decisions, or else things are not going to end well.

It's the ever present threat of a coup that suppresses the development of real democracy in Thailand. That's the reason that the main opposition party don't feel the need to take part in elections. I never cease to be amazed that there are people who believe that Suthep and his fascist backers would do a better job of running the country. That's just delusional.

Thailand will never be an example of good governance, but at least with democracy the people get to express their view every four years. What's needed is a democratically elected government with the will to pull the military into line.

Part of the problem is that what brought thailand growth through the 80s doesn't work anymore. But the old industrial groups still hold massive sway with the democrats. Their rose tints want the world and thailand to stay the way it was, but it isn't going to work.

• Like 1

What is interesting about Asia is that many of the people are docile and passive.

What if large numbers of Asians decide to start protesting in various countries? That could get messy.

Fukushima has woken up some of the Japanese. Chinese in some pollution situations have been rioting.

I think that is what the author was alluding too.

What if many people wake up to the Kleptocrats?

Of course not just Asia but what a potential powder keg due to the numbers and poverty.

Two different topics.

1. Political Instability hurting economy

2. weak economical leadership

Point 1 is appears to be simply the pitch for point 2 and, as some may point out, may even contradict point 2.

Political stability is desirerable, but I hate when democracy is being played off against against prosperity.

Toyota can insinuate all day long...

....................and still have their car showrooms and customers

Who is William Pesak?

He knows nothing about Thailand. Shame on Bloomberg who carries his article.

This Pesak is writing from Tokyo. He should rather concentrate on Japan who is is still in dire straits.

Yeah, go write him a letter. He doesn't get Thainess and Asianess.

Or find a Thai doctor to write for you, like the one who wrote to Obama.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"as the Bernanke bubble deflates", so will the American economy, which only has two ways to go...either they keep printing money, until people will need a wheelbarrow full of it, to buy a loaf of bread (like in Nazi Germany), or they are heading for a major deflation and depression.

Maybe, they should look at their own problems, because I think SE Asia, will still be around, long after the "American Empire" falls

Well have to eat humble pie Kurt, but I actually like this post of yours, only this one though ;)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app