Thailand to open market to foreign IPOs

Thailand to open market to foreign IPOs
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Foreign companies will be able to float shares in initial public offerings in Thailand for the first time under new rules to be announced by the Thai Securities & Exchange Commission.

Thailand is No. 11 in the Asian equity market, and the decision announced yesterday by SEC chief Vorapol Socatiyanurak is designed to increase the kingdom's competitiveness with Hong Kong and SIngapore in regional listings.

"Thailand wants to compete with Singapore and Hong Kong to become one of Asia's funding centres," Vorapol said. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/01/24/thailand-open-market-foreign-ipos

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-01-24

Hilarious!!! In the midst of economic suicide and widespread cultural unawareness and unacceptance for the rest of the world, Thailand wants to compete with China and Singapore? Another example of the ethnocentric fantasies that seem to propogate so easily in this country. It must have been part of the plot in last night's newest Thai drama...Seems to be where most of their perceptions stem from. I thought my country had a dangerous level of proud ignorance but Thailand makes me grateful for my countrymen and where I come from...this is too funny.

Edited by geoman1976
  • Like 2