Hatred is not the only big worry in Thailand

webfact

EricBerg, on 25 Jan 2014 - 07:59, said:

The present situation only shows that police leadership is corrupt to the bone. Among the lower ranks "normal" everyday corruption is a big problem too, but it is not politicised. It is vital for Thailand that the shinaclan is stopped now. Replacing police leadership will be enough to stop the thaksin-support in those ranks.

Fighting the everyday corruption by police and other officials is the big issue that has to help "curing" Thai society and politics. For that a whole lot more is needed. But in the long run it can and must be done.

To replace police chiefs is not an easy task, first you must find a replacement that is not corrupt , now that's the hard part, the police are encouraged right from the beginning, this is how it works, mind you the rest of the nation is on the take to, to some extent.

From my perspective, corruption is eating this country alive. The police are corrupt, the politicians are corrupt, the civil servants are corrupt, even the electricity generating board is on the take...hell even the anti-corruption services are corrupt (where is the prosecution of Supoj?)

For those who care to look at the data Thailand's ranking in the international corruption index has been falling steadily under this administration; but it also fell markedly under Abhisit's administration indicating that it was more corrupt than what it replaced; it stabilized under the army at the level of the Thaksin regime; the index also fell under the first Thaksin regime. The country is going down a sinkhole fast. Anyone thinking that Democrat, PAD, Pheu Thai or whomever is not corrupt is living in a fantasy world. The only question is whether the army is more corrupt than Thaksin as they stabilized corruption at the level of Thaksin.

Whether the police are biased, I doubt it. They let the PAD walk into Suvarnabhumi in 2008. They let Suthep's mob walk into government ministries in 2013/4.

Personally I don't see widespread corruption being eliminated in Thailand ever. Poor people believe Thaksin, love him or hate him, gave them something more than the elite ever did. There are many more poor people in Thailand than wealthy elite or urban middle class, so do the math. This is why Pheu Thai or whatever they will be called in the future or were called in the past can win elections on a one man, one vote basis. Which is why Suthep wants to get rid of one man, one vote democracy....remember PAD's platform, let the Bangkok people vote, then have Bangkok's elected representatives choose representatives for the poor people. However you look at it the elite's view of the working class is ugly.

Spot on. True all trough the root

Police and Military are SUPPOSED to be loyal to the government.

And the govt is supposed to be loyal to the nation, not the Shinawatras. The hatred against the police rests on decades of watching the mafia group suit themselves and make a mockery of the law, and that can't be easily reversed. They are not only hated for being allied to Thaksin but for not serving the country professionally. Reform of the police and law apparatus is paramount, and obviously the police are going bat for the side that resists that the most.

The police force, along with many other public institutions in this fair country , need a thorough clean out. It is dysfunctional, corrupt and self-serving. The question is , who will have the courage and fortitude to take them on?

The nation's editorial is nothing short of PADC proganda.

Yes there is corruption if the police force and there should not be. There is corruption in the militray, civil service, teaching profession, politics, national and provincial and local government, in business and all walks of life. The judicial system and tax system need overhauling. Military involvement in media ownership and control, on the bord of directors of significant public companies etc also needs overhauling. The list is very long and applies to all levels of Thai society. If a start is made today, it will take at least 30 years to "clean up" Thailand.

But that is not what the Nation is saying or wants. They are trying to undermine the police to further the aims of PADC whose agenda they support. It is that agenda which is the big worry.

Well said, but show me a newspaper anywhere that is not biased one way or the other!

I use the word newspaper loosely here when connected to the Nation.

• Like 1

The police force, along with many other public institutions in this fair country , need a thorough clean out. It is dysfunctional, corrupt and self-serving. The question is , who will have the courage and fortitude to take them on?

dysfunctional, corrupt and self-serving - sounds a lot like some certain caretakers and their puppet master....

"Their duty (the police) demands that they remaim completely neutral". What, neutral between the elected government on the one hand and people who illegally block the roads in Bangkok on the other?

Neutral between the criminals in the caretaker government made up in large part ( though admittedly not entirely ) of corrupt thieves, fraudsters, murderers ( or people whose relatives are and they got off scot free due to daddy's position ) and terrorists who were all rewarded by the fugitive in Dubai for their actions to further his cause and the current protestors who have been, whether you like it or not, incredibly peaceful compared to the reds in 2010. How people can continue to defend the caretakers is quite beyoind me, they are detritus of the worst kind !

The army are supposed to uphold the Constitution and protect the Monarchy. They are not upholding the Constitution at the moment. The Constitution love it or hate it, was approved in a referendum relatively recently (2007 or so). The Constitution should be respected until a new one can be drafted and approved by the people. Mob rule, even by 'decent men', will never found a legitimate government.

The protests started due to the PT idiots trying to ignore the constitution because it wouldn't let them do what they wanted. They decided to roll the dice and go for broke and it backfired. THEY are to blame for all that is happening now. And since they decided to ignore the constitution and moreso refused to recognize the authority and abide by the ruling of the constitutional court because they didn't like it, and moreso tried to have the judges removed, they lost any legitimacy they had and have absolutely no right whatsoever to try and hide behind the constitution today.

If the Thais hate each other at least they are distracted from hating foreigners for a while.

In my experience, I have never came across any hate between Thai people and Farangs, although there are exceptions, all I've seen is mostly kindness and honesty.

You forgot the <sarcasm>tags</sarcasm>

• Like 1

jcsmith, on 25 Jan 2014 - 07:00, said:snapback.png

Police officers are supposed to uphold and enforce the law, period. They are not supposed to take sides, hold support Thaksin rallies, or let people with money pay a bribe to escape justice. I don't like to get personal but that was a stupid comment.

Upholding and enforcing the law surely includes keeping the peace which puts them at odds with protesters invading and occupying government departments I would think.

There is no unity between organisations in Thailand, no one works together and it is all about the personal little empires. The Army doesn't get along with the Police, the Police don't get along with Navy and the Navy doesn't get along with the Army. To many generals jostling for positions at the trough and god help anyone who gets in their way. Let's not forget other Dept's like TAT fighting with TCT (Tourism Auth & Council) they don't get along or work together either and are stealing each others budget. The list can go on and on

What you say for the most part is true. You did how ever leave out the fact that the red shirts are starting to differ. There is now three different groups of them. One doesn't want Thaksin involved in politics.

How ever you are wrong about no organizations in Thailand having unity. The Anti government protestors are made up of several different organizations. They seem to be getting along fine.

More likely his Royal Highness and his subjects, the PEOPLE collectively. When this is realised then and perhaps then Thailand will see unity, not before. I'm afraid on this post you ate misinformed....

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually the police are not suppose to be loyal to the government, they are suppose to be loyal to the community/society.

A Police force should be independent from government to prevent corruption and bias. A Police Minister is merely a go to man/contact at the government and assists in things such as legislation/budgets etc but has no involvement in the running of the police.

This is the oath I took

I swear by Almighty God that I will well and truly serve our Sovereign Lady the Queen as a member of the Police Force of Victoria in such capacity as I may be hereafter appointed, promoted, or reduced to without favour or affection malice or ill-will for the period of

from this date, and until I am legally discharged; that I will see and cause Her Majesty's peace to be kept and preserved; and that I will prevent to the best of my power all offences against the same, and that while I shall continue to be a member of the Police Force of Victoria I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the duties legally imposed upon me faithfully and according to law.

Only thing is chooka, we are forgetting that the Victorian Police Force in Australia is also in some circles as seen as the most corrupt. Google ICAC Victorian police corruption for more info. Its not called the Garden State for no reason... And we both know that ;(

Can anyone answer my question.

What colour shirt am i allowed to wear without the risk of

being abused or beaten up?

Pink and on a Tuesday... Make sure it has the Royal Insignia on it and you will be fine and dandy. Every other day don't wear a shirt at all and put on your dreadlocks wig... Blue singlet is also OK with the dreads ;)

Blue is always good. Or rainbow colored. Someone should start a rainbow-shirt movement - the T-shirts could have a map of Thailand colored like a rainbow just to get away from this colored-shirt nonsense.

Blue is always good. Or rainbow colored. Someone should start a rainbow-shirt movement - the T-shirts could have a map of Thailand colored like a rainbow just to get away from this colored-shirt nonsense.
Already occupied by DR. Seri LBGT society. Participating at anti government angry mob.

The nation's editorial is nothing short of PADC proganda.

Yes there is corruption if the police force and there should not be. There is corruption in the militray, civil service, teaching profession, politics, national and provincial and local government, in business and all walks of life. The judicial system and tax system need overhauling. Military involvement in media ownership and control, on the bord of directors of significant public companies etc also needs overhauling. The list is very long and applies to all levels of Thai society. If a start is made today, it will take at least 30 years to "clean up" Thailand.

But that is not what the Nation is saying or wants. They are trying to undermine the police to further the aims of PADC whose agenda they support. It is that agenda which is the big worry.

Well said, but show me a newspaper anywhere that is not biased one way or the other!

I use the word newspaper loosely here when connected to the Nation.

Its one thing to have an ideology, left or right wing, its another to convey an utterly biased agenda.

Arguing about bias is one thing but to have an apparent agenda is a little like the diffence between Fox news and other types of media. It ceases to be conveying the news and posing editorial opinion as news.

The nation is a rag. Simple.

If the Thais hate each other at least they are distracted from hating foreigners for a while.

In my experience, I have never came across any hate between Thai people and Farangs, although there are exceptions, all I've seen is mostly kindness and honesty.

There must be at least one thing true about what you state. Either you don't get out much or you don't work with Thais.

There must be at least one thing true about what you state. Either you don't get out much or you don't work with Thais.

I worked as a schoolteacher for three years, and never had a problem with any teacher, H of English Dept, or School Director. I travel regularly to Bangkok, and sometimes Pattaya, where there can be problems if you get drunk etc, I meet regularly with TV members. As for hate involving Thais, I am only talking about my experience. Read my post again, I did say there are exceptions.

I worked as a schoolteacher for three years, and never had a problem with any teacher, H of English Dept, or School Director. I travel regularly to Bangkok, and sometimes Pattaya, where there can be problems if you get drunk etc, I meet regularly with TV members. As for hate involving Thais, I am only talking about my experience. Read my post again, I did say there are exceptions.

If we are talking about experience, my experience is: Thais will always create difficulties with foreigners. Especially farang. Their excuse as explained to me from a Thai is, you make more money so we have the right to make problems for you. There is always one Thai that will begin a crusade against a farang and gather as many Thais as possible to join their cause.

Actually, if you think about it, that's similar to what's happening with the protests.

Edited by expat888