Opening Documents On Websites.

chiangrai

Hi,

Some of you might recognise me by now.I live up the mountains away from any other Farangs.I got my first computer about two years ago and i basically learned how to use it by asking questions on this forum.

All of my questions were very simple,some of them were very stupid but you've all been very patient with me and I have learnt alot.

When I bought my laptop I bought the original version of widows seven.The one for 1700bht for sale in Asia only.

I immediatly deleated all the microsoft office stuff,windows words etc.....

Thinking that I woud never be having anything to do with documents.

First stupid mistake.

Now I find I'm teaching English and have to use worksheets off the internet.Then my computer couldn't open the documents.I thought that all the documents were PDFs so I put a post on this forum asking how to open PDFs(second stupid mistake) and was advised to download Foxit.I did but now it's turning out that when I open some of the files with Foxit it says Microsoft office is required to open this file.

I also have windows wordpad wich opens some but not all of the Text.

So I'm downloading these documents from all these different websites and can't open them.I presume that they are all different formats.

How do I get out of this one.I could go round to the computer shop and get him to install fake Microsoft Office and change it to English but some Thai allways apears sometime later.

Thanks to all those who have helped before and thanks in advance to any one who helps this time.

Okay, let's get some basics set up first:

Please follow this guide (it will show to you what kinda file you are really dealing with) : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/865219

when a document inside you browser opens with foxit, it looks like it is a pdf. when you save and then try to open them on your computer with word, you likely did mess up your file settings.

Good morning ladies or gentelmen,

The website I'm trying is isicollective.com.

I try to open the worksheet I'm interested in but it won't let me do it online because I'm not a paid member.I must download it and open it myself.

So I have downloaded 3 and now that the file type shows on the end I see that they either end in .doc or .docx. but I can't open them.

Does libreoffice open all document types.I probobly need something that does as I will be going from website to website trying to download and open documents.

Used for years

http://freedownloads.us.com/lp/openoffice/suite/index.php?pk=850351&s=google&c=FreeD_OOSuite_CCROW_All

for past year or so use Kingsoft http://www.kingsoftstore.com/

and for a reader use http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

all worked well on Vista then Win 7 and still work fine on Windows 8..

Can see no point in paying for something when a FREE version is the same and why bother with some iffy copy, when you can use a FREE full Legal version.

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

Go to the source www.microsoft.com typeword reader in the box an you can download it.

Do the same with excel viewer.

The Software included on your original disk was demo software in that it only would fully work for about 6 months but after that continues to work as a viewer. It is best to alwys leave it on unless you are putting another office version on.

I use Openoffice, most important fact - its free - open source, handles Word doc, Spreed sheets, presentations. For PDF files my default setting is Adobe Reader. If I wont to use the PDF file I use MS Word that sdould sort most document issues.

• Like 1

I have got rid of adobe reader.

I can download no problem,I think firefox does it.

The problem is that I can't open the downloads.

Don't I need a program that can open all kinds of documents.

The VLC of document readers or am I missing something................probobly.

libreoffice.org and OPENOFFICE are the two that sound like they may do that.PDFs should not be a problem if I have foxit...................right?.

Or what about a reader app from firefox.

Have you gone to the control panel and organised 'programs by default'? There is also a small program called 'open with' that might help. Foxit should be set as program by default for pdfs. I have to double click on the download link before it opens with Foxit.

May I suggest you register with a computer help.forum?

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

i've checked the website I'm particularly interested in and the files all seem to be either .doc or .docx.So it would be a great start if I could open these.

There are six more websites that I have been recomended,God only knows what type they are.

Thanks for your patience

I just tried to open these documents on my wifes fake microsoft office and it opened them.

I tried to install it in my computer via usb stick I transferred it but could not install it.

Maybe I will go to the Thai shop and ask him to instal it.Or just use the wifes machine for documents.

Does microsoft office open all document types.

Libreoffice and openoffice were identical a while ago, community made microsoft office equivalents. Now run by different teams but I would advise libre over open.

Doc and docx means microsoft word files, libre can open both. Unlike the viewers someone advised libre can read and edit them.

Other option is google docs that is both free and webbased. If you have gmail or a google account you already have it. Can convert most microsoft docs and is amazing for sharing and collaboration.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I just downloaded freefileviewer and it does everything,

opens windows and non windows documents,opens photos,and apparently much much more.

Well done trentbridge.That was one of the best computer tips I've ever got.

Check it out guys....truly an all in one file opener.

End of story