What stork is this?

I live 15 minutes outside Cha-am in rural land. In the fields surrounding my house the most common storks are the Asian Open Billed Storks. Saw this other large stork yesterday and I think I've identified it as an Oriental Stork. The only other stork it might be is a White Stork but it's beak is not red.....

Either way, my research seems to indicate that it may be an unusual visitor? The stork was in a tree alone and then flew to the ground to feed.

Could any bird enthusiast please confirm which species and let me know if is common or rare here.....many thanks.

post-25266-0-36198000-1390878343_thumb.j

Edited by somchai jones

Interesting one! Both the White Stork and the Oriental Stork should have red legs. Anyway, they are closely-related species, maybe conspecific. If it is the Oriental Stork (boyciana), it should be markedly larger than the Openbill, which you say you know well. Also the bill looks very heavy for a White/Oriental.

My feeling is that it is an Openbill whose bill has not developed fully, but you can soon shoot that idea down on grounds of size. Was it with a flock of Openbills? White/Oriental would tend to keep separate from them.

• Like 1

Interesting one! Both the White Stork and the Oriental Stork should have red legs. Anyway, they are closely-related species, maybe conspecific. If it is the Oriental Stork (boyciana), it should be markedly larger than the Openbill, which you say you know well. Also the bill looks very heavy for a White/Oriental.

My feeling is that it is an Openbill whose bill has not developed fully, but you can soon shoot that idea down on grounds of size. Was it with a flock of Openbills? White/Oriental would tend to keep separate from them.

Thanks for your reply, Isarnbirder. You may be right, however, the stork certainly seemed larger than the openbills that frequent the area (that's what initially drew me photograph it) and it's black and white plumage seemed more vivid (the openbills here tend to be a bit grey). It was completely alone. I have one more picture as it is about to take off from the tree......

post-25266-0-64450200-1390914864_thumb.j

I would also go for Openbill. It is pretty white but, as Isanbirder said, they do get much whiter during breeding season (which is now). What does it for me is the massive bill and the color of bill and legs.

• 2 weeks later...