Thai government wants controversial election to go ahead

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bangkok Governor election results show PT Getting more than 1 million votes in Bangkok last year.

Lets have the election and see where sutheps 6 million are!!!! Can't see them on Bluesky tonight. few hundred dregs left now waiting for the band to come on and for him to shut up.

He don't seem worried that they threatened to kidnap yingluk again today against his wishes :)

Don't think they have jumped ship...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_gubernatorial_election,_2013

If the advance voting was the election itself, parliament would be 78 % filled, as opposed to the 95 % that is mandated. It is hard to see what hope Pheu Thai has in it, outside of the fact that there is no where for them to go.

Oh boy, this remark takes the cake. The reason it is only filled 78% is because people were denied their constitutional right to vote. It's not PT that is to blame here, the protestors are breaking the law, which is quite ironic considering their main criticism was the government's alleged breaking of the law. Apparently that law only applies to PT and not to them. Keep dreaming.

Actually you are a bit ahead of yourself. The election hasn't happened yet. So they haven't yet been denied their "right to vote". Definitely many advance voters didn't vote, either because the polling station was closed or because they didn't bother (thought the poll would be closed or thought it wasn't safe or ...?), or because they want the election postponed. Don't know the reasons. Even if the advance voting was unobstructed and only the advance voting was counted, there still wouldn't be the mandated 95%. If the election goes ahead on Feb 2 and lot's of polls are closed, then your remark may be closer to the mark. Parliament won't open after the election even if unobstructed - unless the rules change - because there aren't enough consituencies with a candidate (and the ones with a single candidate aren't guaranteed to get the minimum 20% of the eligible electorate).

The issue is not whether which party got to form a government or the election will get enough MPs for the house to begin functioning. It is that the voting right of the people were taken away from them through the use of force and the EC's failure in taking legal action against law breakers.

If the oppositions want to boycott the election or ask voters to vote no, it is OK with me but not forcing people from exercising their voting right. This is a criminal offense with up to 10 years jail term.

Send from my Mobile

• Like 1

This is a link to ANFREL's (pollwatch) report on Sunday's advanced voting. Note, these are Thai volunteers who risk their lives at Thai elections. Get to know them. Talk to them. Read their reports. You will learn a lot if you are interested in elections in Thailand. You might not hear what you expect.

http://anfrel.org/anfrel-expresses-grave-concern-about-violence-the-blocking-of-polling-centers-in-thailand/

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Worth a bump.

the Government have the backing of more of the Country than Suthep.

All these people did not just go away and join the Democrats. They are waiting in the wings should the Army come in.

Government is therefore right to get the elecdtion out of the way. With 80-90 of the quorum filled, that is a very solid block of votes who have denied Suthep. It stops Suthep blocking the election once it is out of the way then the pressure is on the law makers to let parliament run with what it has. Nobody going to argue around the world if the quorum is short 5% as the law was written like this to ensure Dems and other spoilers could destabalise a Governmant that the elites don't like

Numbers game? Reds have it every time and the lack of them on the streets is the Government ploy to avoid the Coup... which they have done very well.

3 killed again today under army martial law controlled Pattani, so no good asking them to help Suthep as they are as inept as everybody else. These people and the 16 million who voted PT are still here... probably 2 - 3 million in Bangkok... and they won't wear Coup 19

2010_09_19_red_shirt_protest_bkk_09.JPG

That photo is clearly from the 2010 riots before they burnt down centralworld as you can see it in the background....

• Like 1

This is a link to ANFREL's (pollwatch) report on Sunday's advanced voting. Note, these are Thai volunteers who risk their lives at Thai elections. Get to know them. Talk to them. Read their reports. You will learn a lot if you are interested in elections in Thailand. You might not hear what you expect.

http://anfrel.org/anfrel-expresses-grave-concern-about-violence-the-blocking-of-polling-centers-in-thailand/

Worth a bump.

Thanks ol friend

Well, we all know the answer already . If it does go ahead there will be more clashes, more deaths. This government will do anything it can to hold power.

If Yingluck resigns and Suthep anoints himself supreme leader of his hand picked council do you think peace will

and good will will break out. By stopping the registration of both candidates and voters do you really think this will

ingratiate him to the majority of Thai voters. Do you not think the Red shirts will march for there constitutional right

to vote. Personally I think you have to let the people vote to diffuse the anger that is building because Suthep

wants a dictatorship and to take away the peoples right to vote. He has poked the sleeping dog for the past

3 months and now the violence you see is push back. If he really wanted progress and a move forward maybe

he should negotiate with Yingluck a total ban of the top 40 members of there party lists. Put 2 term limits on politicians

at every level of government. I don't know much but I do know both Suthep and Thaksin are not part of the solution.

They are both a big part of the problem. People incorrectly quote the phrase "money is the root of all evil" when

it is "the pursuit of money is the root of all evil" That is what makes Thai politics so bad. It is the route by which

these politicians are pursuing there fortunes. Thats the way I see is anyway. Get rid of all of them.

The anarchists already took over in 2010, they are caretrakers now. Hope they leave very soon !!

You can disagree with any party, but if you obstruct any democratic proces than you place yourself off-side. The present government has every right to arrest the rebels, but they show mercy in order to avoid confrontations.

Corruption is not limited to one party, it's part of the Thai culture and should be dealt with, but for this anarchy is not any excuse. And Suthep is completely irresponsible, because he doesn't want to talk at all!! Politicians should talk, negotiate, compromise and look for win-win solutions. He behaves like a ordinary hooligan!!

If the advance voting was the election itself, parliament would be 78 % filled, as opposed to the 95 % that is mandated. It is hard to see what hope Pheu Thai has in it, outside of the fact that there is no where for them to go.

Oh boy, this remark takes the cake. The reason it is only filled 78% is because people were denied their constitutional right to vote. It's not PT that is to blame here, the protestors are breaking the law, which is quite ironic considering their main criticism was the government's alleged breaking of the law. Apparently that law only applies to PT and not to them. Keep dreaming.

Actually you are a bit ahead of yourself. The election hasn't happened yet. So they haven't yet been denied their "right to vote". Definitely many advance voters didn't vote, either because the polling station was closed or because they didn't bother (thought the poll would be closed or thought it wasn't safe or ...?), or because they want the election postponed. Don't know the reasons. Even if the advance voting was unobstructed and only the advance voting was counted, there still wouldn't be the mandated 95%. If the election goes ahead on Feb 2 and lot's of polls are closed, then your remark may be closer to the mark. Parliament won't open after the election even if unobstructed - unless the rules change - because there aren't enough consituencies with a candidate (and the ones with a single candidate aren't guaranteed to get the minimum 20% of the eligible electorate).

Actually there was advance voting last Sunday, and according to BKK post and various other media sources over 400.000 people were unable to cast their votes. We have seen plenty of cases where people were physically prevented from reaching the voting station to cast their votes. So yes, people were denied their right to vote, (note no quotes, as they would be misplaced).

Regarding the 95%, that was brought up by the one I responded to, of course this would never be reached by advance voting alone. Fact is that in 89 constituenties people were unable to vote, etiher because they were physically blocked by protestors or because protestors were able to "force"or "negotiate" their closure.

Regarding not having enough constituentites with a candidate, (28 I believe), this is a direct result of the protestors denying people the right to run for office, which again is a constitutional right.

But we get it, only the governement isn't allowed to allegedly violate this constitution, protestors apparently can do whatever they please.

Actually there was advance voting last Sunday, and according to BKK post and various other media sources over 400.000 people were unable to cast their votes and were pissed off they missed out on the promised 500 bath. Morons cheesy.gif

RT@veen_NT: Leader of farmer protesters in Phitsanulok pressured & threatened by red shirts & local govt officials to stop rally against Govt: Matichon

I know a few farmers that will definitely NOT be voting for the PTP this time round. whistling.gif

The pro and anti rants on this site are quite a revelation, there is rare meaningful insights into the scale and scope of the problems facing the country being fought out by proxies which no-one can talk about... but its clear that the notion that Taksin will be allowed to continue to govern Thailand by placing his ever expanding family circle into the Prime Minister role is farcical and no longer tenable.

This is the end game for Taksin, however violent or scale of chaos that ensues, Taksin does not end up in a position of power irrespective of how many elections, ploys, scam, lies he produces. The country needs stability,if Taksin is not able to be taken out of the equation by whatever means required then this looks like a long drawn out stalemate, for the sake of the country, The Military need to do what they always have done, step in, have a robust plan to deal with all the Shin clan and return Thailand to its usual form of politics, not perfect but functional.

Actually there was advance voting last Sunday, and according to BKK post and various other media sources over 400.000 people were unable to cast their votes. We have seen plenty of cases where people were physically prevented from reaching the voting station to cast their votes. So yes, people were denied their right to vote, (note no quotes, as they would be misplaced).

Regarding the 95%, that was brought up by the one I responded to, of course this would never be reached by advance voting alone. Fact is that in 89 constituenties people were unable to vote, etiher because they were physically blocked by protestors or because protestors were able to "force"or "negotiate" their closure.

Regarding not having enough constituentites with a candidate, (28 I believe), this is a direct result of the protestors denying people the right to run for office, which again is a constitutional right.

But we get it, only the governement isn't allowed to allegedly violate this constitution, protestors apparently can do whatever they please.

Actually there was advance voting last Sunday, and according to BKK post and various other media sources over 400.000 people were unable to cast their votes and were pissed off they missed out on the promised 500 bath. Morons cheesy.gif

So the 400, 000 who wished to vote but were prevented from voting are morons?

Says a lot about you, none of it remotely complimentary.

But then, you can't even spell "Baht".

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't know if this has been mentioned already but doesn't anyone else think its a little be strange the the elections are so soon?

It has probably a little bit over a month since the elections were announced. I have not seen any campaigns at all or any debates on TV whatsoever. How can the people make an informed decision that they will have to live with for the next 4 years if parties haven't had time to explain their program to the people?

I don't understand why they rush it. They will win the elections anyway.

The pro and anti rants on this site are quite a revelation, there is rare meaningful insights into the scale and scope of the problems facing the country being fought out by proxies which no-one can talk about... but its clear that the notion that Taksin will be allowed to continue to govern Thailand by placing his ever expanding family circle into the Prime Minister role is farcical and no longer tenable.

This is the end game for Taksin, however violent or scale of chaos that ensues, Taksin does not end up in a position of power irrespective of how many elections, ploys, scam, lies he produces. The country needs stability,if Taksin is not able to be taken out of the equation by whatever means required then this looks like a long drawn out stalemate, for the sake of the country, The Military need to do what they always have done, step in, have a robust plan to deal with all the Shin clan and return Thailand to its usual form of politics, not perfect but functional.

You suggest that Thailand should return to its "usual form of politics, not perfect but functional". I'm sure your suggestion would be enthusiastically welcomed by the rich Bangkokians in places like the Royal Bangkok Sports Club. But I guess the idea of turning back the clocks, to return power to Thailand's aristocrats, wouldn't be quite so warmly welcomed in the many thousands of red villages in Isaan. Care to go to that part of Thailand and propose your idea?

Oh, and by the way, those Isaan (and Lanna) people have votes, and -- horror of horrors -- many of them love the Shinewatras and Peua Thai!

You suggest that Thailand should return to its "usual form of politics, not perfect but functional". I'm sure your suggestion would be enthusiastically welcomed by the rich Bangkokians in places like the Royal Bangkok Sports Club. But I guess the idea of turning back the clocks, to return power to Thailand's aristocrats, wouldn't be quite so warmly welcomed in the many thousands of red villages in Isaan. Care to go to that part of Thailand and propose your idea?

Oh, and by the way, those Isaan (and Lanna) people have votes, and -- horror of horrors -- many of them love the Shinewatras and Peua Thai!

Well there's education and there's EDUCATION... The democratic RED villages... the democratic RED political schools..

You suggest that Thailand should return to its "usual form of politics, not perfect but functional". I'm sure your suggestion would be enthusiastically welcomed by the rich Bangkokians in places like the Royal Bangkok Sports Club. But I guess the idea of turning back the clocks, to return power to Thailand's aristocrats, wouldn't be quite so warmly welcomed in the many thousands of red villages in Isaan. Care to go to that part of Thailand and propose your idea? y

Some of them do, a lot more used to, a lot are turning against Taksin, once the money stops rolling in loyalty is fickle, my part of Issan has never been that impressed by bangkok politicians whoever they claim to represent. The notion that issan people are so keen to keep Taksin in power is weird and just does not reflect the world I live in.

Unfortunately the inevitable result of success for Suthep's campaign (and the dearest wish of the denizens of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club) is that the people from Isaan and Lanna will lose their votes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You suggest that Thailand should return to its "usual form of politics, not perfect but functional". I'm sure your suggestion would be enthusiastically welcomed by the rich Bangkokians in places like the Royal Bangkok Sports Club. But I guess the idea of turning back the clocks, to return power to Thailand's aristocrats, wouldn't be quite so warmly welcomed in the many thousands of red villages in Isaan. Care to go to that part of Thailand and propose your idea? y

Some of them do, a lot more used to, a lot are turning against Taksin, once the money stops rolling in loyalty is fickle, my part of Issan has never been that impressed by bangkok politicians whoever they claim to represent. The notion that issan people are so keen to keep Taksin in power is weird and just does not reflect the world I live in.

Which is why elections are necessary. So that the politicians who want to serve the people are in tune with what the people want.

Like in 2006 you mean ? What robust plan did these idiots have in store then ? Or did they indeed have a robust plan but utterly failed the execution ? May I remind you that the 2007 constitution was drafted by the military and it hasn't helped their goal one bit, on the contrary.

The bottom line is actually very simple, the only (legal) way to get rid of Thaksin and PT is to beat them at the ballot box, for that to happen it would actually help if the largest opposition party actually participates in elections !

Of course the 'democrats' are also hoping for a coup, which is ludicrous. The military has learned their lesson from the utter failure last time, and the democrats actually would have a chance now to at least lessen the gap. But I guess another defeat doesn't sound as promising as hoping for a coup.

Which is why elections are necessary. So that the politicians who want to serve the people are in tune with what the people want.

That might of worked pre Taksin era, but remember he bribed the court in his first election and ever since its been lies and massive increases in corruption across the board at all levels of Thai society, the people in BKk are to some extent immune from these issues as they will not tolerate low level corruption, i have experienced first hand the deterioration in governance and accountability, i wrote about an dispute i had over being expected to pay to put my daughter on our house papers, in Ubon and neighbouring provinces,corruption in village and tambon politics has reached a ridiculous level , the recent disctrict elections cost the winner 2500. Baht a vote. Thats Taksins legacy to Issan. Sadly the poor have been exploited by taksins machinations and abuse of his ill gotton wealth.

Like in 2006 you mean ? What robust plan did these idiots have in store then ? Or did they indeed have a robust plan but utterly failed the execution ? May I remind you that the 2007 constitution was drafted by the military and it hasn't helped their goal one bit, on the contrary.

The bottom line is actually very simple, the only (legal) way to get rid of Thaksin and PT is to beat them at the ballot box, for that to happen it would actually help if the largest opposition party actually participates in elections !

Of course the 'democrats' are also hoping for a coup, which is ludicrous. The military has learned their lesson from the utter failure last time, and the democrats actually would have a chance now to at least lessen the gap. But I guess another defeat doesn't sound as promising as hoping for a coup.

The only failure of the 2006 coup was allowing Taksin the option of living. I suspect the military are very aware of that fact. Don,t forget he is a fugitive on the run from justice, i think PT would have no problem if they cut their links to him, they just need a credible leader. Edited by Bkkbound