Thai Electronic Learning Book

Silurian

1. Get a license from the author.

2. Make HTML, RTF (or other text format) files.

3. Compile to exe with a free or shareware compiler.

2a. You can scan pages and use the images to make a slideshow or put images in HTML pages.

I assume the publisher has already the book in a digital format so you can ask the publisher if he sells ebooks

Edited by boxig

1. Get a license from the author.

2. Make HTML, RTF (or other text format) files.

3. Compile to exe with a free or shareware compiler.

2a. You can scan pages and use the images to make a slideshow or put images in HTML pages.

I assume the publisher has already the book in a digital format so you can ask the publisher if he sells ebooks

I don't think they have it in digital format for purchase, if I get can permission I'm not sure the most efficient way to scan the book. Cut off the binding but then how do you scan double sided pages? I'd also like OCR done, ideally in Thai and English but minimally in English

Edited by wasabi

OCR is time consuming and typically requires a skilled editor.

You are never able to trust the machine 100% and so at least one person will have to go through the entire document manually and correct any/all mistakes. Ideally you need somebody with native or near-native comprehension of English, otherwise the results will be flawed.

If the layout of the book is complicated, that will further complicate things.

I have done a fair bit of OCR from pdf picture documents into text rtf, and it is tedious work. I wish I had something more constructive to say...

I should add the reason I'm so adament about an ebook is I'm visually impaired, ebooks are much easier for me to read since I can adjust the margin and text size. It also helps finding where a passage is which would require full OCR to do a text search. I'm legally handicapped so I'm entitled to some services for the visually impaired I've been told converting a book to an ebook is one of them, though a Thai/English book is probably beyond the scope of this service. The book I'm talking about is Thai Reference grammar by James Higbie and Snea Thinsan. It would be much easier for me to make use of this and other Thai learning books if it was in digital format.

Fortunately for me the internet came of age right when I was in college and all my materials were available online.

Maybe the best thing is for me to try to contact the publisher and explain my situation.

Edited by wasabi