Thai Democrats, PDRC wrestle with election day strategy

webfact

POLITICS
Democrats, PDRC wrestle with election day strategy

HATAIKARN TREESUWAN,
NIPHAWAN KAEWRAKMUK
THE NATION

Some members want ballots marked 'No Vote." Others want boycott of poll

BANGKOK: -- THE DECISION by the caretaker government to go ahead with the election on Sunday poses a dilemma for both the Democrat Party - which boycotted the election - and the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), which seeks reform before the election.

Now, as pressure mounts on the Democrats, former Democrat MPs are analysing scenarios during the poll, according to the party's executive committee.

A party source said several Democrats suggested the party should campaign for a "no vote", encouraging voters to go to the polls, but not to vote for any candidate.

This would reduce the Pheu Thai Party's ability to use the election results to claim support for the Thaksin regime. It would also prevent former MPs from being stripped of their political rights if they failed to attend the voting.

But other members said the party could not campaign for a "no vote" because it had not fielded any candidates for the snap election, the source added.

"If we launched the campaign we might get sued by the Pheu Thai Party. It would also create a conflict between us and the PDRC and undermine its goal to push for reform before an election. So Democrat members should make their own decisions on whether to go out to vote or not," the source said.

Deputy secretary general Sirichok Sopha said his party had no need to campaign for a "no vote" because the February 2 election would eventually be nullified.

He said the Election Commission could not hold elections in 28 constituencies that lacked candidates to contest the ballot on other dates. Article 108 of the Constitution stipulates that the national election has to be held on only the scheduled date.

"Now we have only three days before the election. It might not be long enough to launch the campaign. I think if more than 50 per cent of voters refuse to show up, the upcoming election result would not be valid," he said.

Sirichok, who is a close aide of Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, admitted that he and Abhisit would probably not go to the poll. He questioned why he should vote in an election that was going to fail.

"Abhisit also had the same idea, and everything he did, he did for his beliefs. So he might not turn out to vote," Sirichok said.

The source said former MPs who decide not to show up at the polling booths will inform the EC within seven days, explaining that they had no confidence in the security as rallies against the election would affect them on election day.

"I heard that the PDRC leaders planned to block many polling stations, especially those where the caretaker prime minister, ministers and well-known public figures [will cast their votes]," the source said.

Meanwhile, a former Democrat MP who asked not to be named said several members are concerned that if they go to the poll they could be photographed by pro-government supporters and the images later posted on social media.

"The party leaders decided not to contest the election, but did not boycott the right to vote. We will go to cast ballots, because we have to maintain the right to impeach evil politicians," the source said.

Like the Democrats, PDRC supporters also have concerns. Its leaders are also split into two camps. One camp says the PDRC should campaign for a "no vote" to show their opposition to the caretaker government, while the other thinks they should campaign for voters not to vote at all, to show that they reject the polls.

"Our supporters frequently ask us what they should do on election day. We will have a clear answer for them in a day or two," a source from the PDRC said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-30

I have a feeling that it shouldn't be the case that if you aren't submitting yourself to the election, you shouldn't be allowed to campaign.

What about the myriad other candidates?,,I think this would represent a gross abuse of an election for a party that is not on the ballot to officially try to campaign for.anyone to vote.one way or another.

Good point, but Thais don't recognize this type of logic and law.

'"Abhisit also had the same idea, and everything he did, he did for his beliefs. So he might not turn out to vote," Sirichok said.

Ah, yes, abhisit, so strong in his beliefs he might not turn up to vote, this I've got to see. tuzki-bunny-emoticon-007.gif

• Like 1

I have a feeling that it shouldn't be the case that if you aren't submitting yourself to the election, you shouldn't be allowed to campaign.

What about the myriad other candidates?,,I think this would represent a gross abuse of an election for a party that is not on the ballot to officially try to campaign for.anyone to vote.one way or another.

What the real issue here is that some of the leaders already voted and were photographed widely doing so.

Korn and Abhisit twitter feeds have been dodging questions all week on will they vote.

At least the Dems are divided which will be fun because when Suthep tells them what they will do (he will) half of them will be unhappy. Ah Divide and conquer was it.

I think that I disagree. Why shouldn't anyone be allowed to campaign and present a point of view? Even a foreigner should be able to express (and advertise) a view to vote for someone or some party or even to vote "No" to express your opinion. "No" is definitely different than not voting. On the other hand I'm not sure about the legalities. If I ran an ad saying vote for David Cameron in the UK, or Barak Obama in the US, would I be arrested or fined because I am not British or American or a member of the local political party? It should be fine. That's what free speech is about.

• Like 2

The only thing left for the Democrats is to decide how to cook the crow, they have to eat!

Again they gambled and lost!

I believe that anyone from that party that fails to vote, should not be allowed to be elected to a political position until they abide by Thai law of voting in the last election and that a common person or other political parties should question their right to do so by filing law suits against those that failed to respect Thai laws for a political office holder!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 1

Sometimes can only wonder how people make problems by themself, the clear answer is: No vote

If you vote, it will be count as a vote, than you play in the hands of PTP and the others.

Boycott is a clear statement, and if there people enough, election failed.

But this election failed already, its like a ZOMBIE you shout, beat, burn, cut and so on ...whistling.gif

Election will be nullified! facepalm.gif

My fortuneteller have told me...biggrin.png

That's the problem with being a democratic party, different opinions are allowed to be expressed.

It's much easier to be a member of Pheua Thai, just wait for the money from Yaowapa (as handed out last week) and instructions from Dubai.

No need to think for themselves when they are mere employees.

Long live democracy, Pheua Thai style!

You are confusing democracy for strategy. At least PTP have one of these... the dems have neither. cheesy.gif

The only thing left for the Democrats is to decide how to cook the crow, they have to eat!

Again they gambled and lost!

I believe that anyone from that party that fails to vote, should not be allowed to be elected to a political position until they abide by Thai law of voting in the last election and that a common person or other political parties should question their right to do so by filing law suits against those that failed to respect Thai laws for a political office holder!

Cheers

Agree. Maybe the Democrat party could be laid to waste like the waste it is, and another party could rise with genuine interests for the country and voters. Unfortunately, Thai law doesn't mean squat. Gota love their recent decision to squash any arrest warrants for protest leaders and basically clearing the way for any form of assault to stop people from voting.

• Like 1

Meanwhile anybody thinking a coup would get rid of Yingluck should note Chinese papers report from North

Sickening how the BKK media have fawned to Suthep. Dreadful business and they have shown their true colours. But, least the rest of the world can see how corrupt and conniving they are.

PT will move to Chaing mai and be great to see the mob turn up over there. No Gaeng Som or Krathom leaves, just a real mass of people to greet them

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1416916/red-shirts-ready-resist-thai-army-coup-set-capital-chiang-mai

I think that I disagree. Why shouldn't anyone be allowed to campaign and present a point of view? Even a foreigner should be able to express (and advertise) a view to vote for someone or some party or even to vote "No" to express your opinion. "No" is definitely different than not voting. On the other hand I'm not sure about the legalities. If I ran an ad saying vote for David Cameron in the UK, or Barak Obama in the US, would I be arrested or fined because I am not British or American or a member of the local political party? It should be fine. That's what free speech is about.

Do what you like as an individual, but as a party, that is a different thing. I am not sure there are any examples I can think if this behaviour.

What is the situation if you are a party that ceases to enter elections? You don't get to put up posters I presume etc. There should be some other priveleges you should lose also.

" Article 108 of the Constitution stipulates that the national election has to be held on only the scheduled date. "

The dynamics of the tactic of to vote or not to vote will be moot as the vote will likely be impossible in most instances in Bangkok and the South. The police presence deployed will likely have their hands full just to enable Yingluck to cast a vote. It is well nigh impossible that that privilege will be extended - or even possible - in most other circumstances. In short - it will be chaos.

" Article 108 of the Constitution stipulates that the national election has to be held on only the scheduled date. "

The dynamics of the tactic of to vote or not to vote will be moot as the vote will likely be impossible in most instances in Bangkok and the South. The police presence deployed will likely have their hands full just to enable Yingluck to cast a vote. It is well nigh impossible that that privilege will be extended - or even possible - in most other circumstances. In short - it will be chaos.

Why do you people see the constitution as a valid set of laws.

You'll have to google it to get the details on why the army wrote it, banned critisism, shut down all radio and TV that they thought would oppose it.

It stinks of elities oppression and was only designed to keep their man in power. However Abhisit was so dreadful that he could not get elected even under his own rules. Then with all that in play the courts baring politicians and the yellows overthowing with the courts 2 more prime ministers... Yingluk wins a landslide ... under their rules.

How blatent does it have to be for you guys to stop worrying about BS articles written by the Coup backers themselves.

Only Suthep wants Chaos, and this has kept the reds in check. Only suthep gains from problems so we all wish for a peaceful weekend. Coup... and he will get his problems and that is for sure.

You really need to get out more. There are always interest groups campaigning on behalf of political parties who are not directly on the ballot.

Unions for one will campaign for Labour, or in the US the democrats,

Rupert Murdoch will campaign for the Conservatives or the GOP in the US. Everyone can have their say - isn't that what democracy is about, not just a simple vote?

The more the voting public can hear other peoples views the more educated they can become about the many issues affecting them. Not just the issues the politicians wish to pursue.

Or do you prefer when people must remain silent out of fear of speaking out? Say any of the "democratic" communist countries like Russia? Or countries like Zimbabwe?

There seems to be a lot of people posting on here who, deep in their hearts, really cannot come to grips that the Berlin wall was demolished and the USSR broken up.

What the real issue here is that some of the leaders already voted and were photographed widely doing so.

Korn and Abhisit twitter feeds have been dodging questions all week on will they vote.

At least the Dems are divided which will be fun because when Suthep tells them what they will do (he will) half of them will be unhappy. Ah Divide and conquer was it.

Talk to people as I have been. I am finding (by far not a representative sample), that several are undecided between voting no or just not voting at all.

It doesn't help YL who wants people to vote to have one of the protestors shot to death right near one of the polls (Suthin), out in the open, from two different directions, film being taken and publicly released of the shooting, and still no suspects. The police say they will protect voters, but where is the trust?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You really need to get out more. There are always interest groups campaigning on behalf of political parties who are not directly on the ballot.

Unions for one will campaign for Labour, or in the US the democrats,

Rupert Murdoch will campaign for the Conservatives or the GOP in the US. Everyone can have their say - isn't that what democracy is about, not just a simple vote?

The more the voting public can hear other peoples views the more educated they can become about the many issues affecting them. Not just the issues the politicians wish to pursue.

Or do you prefer when people must remain silent out of fear of speaking out? Say any of the "democratic" communist countries like Russia? Or countries like Zimbabwe?

There seems to be a lot of people posting on here who, deep in their hearts, really cannot come to grips that the Berlin wall was demolished and the USSR broken up.

It's one thing to campaign for a "vote for me".

Its another to try to influence people to not vote. U are essentially encouraging people to subvert the electoral process. As an interest group that is different from being a political party.

Political parties should not court votes and then tell people not to vote. Imagine if someone could brainwash a whole country into not voting? That is north Korea.