Is there a "new fee" for your first 90 day report on a new retirement visa?

Bobsuruncle

I have a question about a "new fee" of 800 baht for doing a 90 day report. This was in Nakhon Phanom,
For the last 6 years I've done the 90 day report without any fees in many different offices (Koh Samui, Phuket, Pattaya, Chumphon, and Mukdahan. I now live in Renu Nakhon (or a village close by) and have a yellow book with the new house we built 2 years ago.This year though I was out of the country when my retirement visa expired and had to get a new one before returning the middle of September. My first 90 day report was due on 14 December. When I went in 4 days past this on the 17th (but still within the allowed time frame for reporting) the Immigration officer said that I would have to pay 800 baht in order to be entered into their computer system. She said that my first 90 day report on a new visa had to be entered into the computer so that my wife could find me if I was sick in a hospital somewhere. That sounded like she made it up so I asked her to provide me proof of this. "Show me this new rule". Not happy with my questioning her, she went into the back room and emerged 5 minutes later with another Immigration officer with a mean look on his face who had the Immigration handbook opened to a page for me to read. It was in both Thai and English. What he showed me in the book said that if I am a resort that if I don’t report a foreigner who is staying with me I can be fined. After reading what they showed me, I said this has nothing to do with what you just said. Things got a bit tense for a few minutes and then the Immigration officer handed me back my passport with everything set up for another 90 days in March. She told my wife that she would let me pay the fee next time.
Is there a new fee for your first 90 day report on a new retirement visa or was this another extortion attempt?

Thanks in advance for any advice or other personal experiences from this office.

Nakhon Phanom Immigration is infamous for being the most unfriendly and unhelpful among the riverside offices. I have previously posted about my problems there and at last they are re-modelling the old office which was terrible.

However, in 12 years, I have never heard of a 800thb charge for any service.

I copied all the contact email address from inside the office (maybe not posted in the temporary place) and had a personal interview with the Area 4 Commander. All my issues were dealt with never to return and the offending officer was taken off the front desk for a while.

The forum rules and Thai law prevent me from giving more details, but I'm guessing it's the same person who enjoys giving grief to foreigners then calling for back-up from a higher authority.

riepan963

Thank you for your comment.

That makes me feel a little bit better. I was beginning to wonder if it was just me that was constantly having problems with this office as this was not the first time I've had difficulty with this officer. In the past I have always been polite and have given no reason that I know of to make her angry with me, but on every occasion (6 times now) she has either been incompetent or intimidating and this last time I lost my temper. Not good, I know. I now plan to take all my 90 day reports to Mukdahan where they have always been professional and friendly.

Thanks again for your insight

riepan963

Thank you for your comment.

That makes me feel a little bit better. I was beginning to wonder if it was just me that was constantly having problems with this office as this was not the first time I've had difficulty with this officer. In the past I have always been polite and have given no reason that I know of to make her angry with me, but on every occasion (6 times now) she has either been incompetent or intimidating and this last time I lost my temper. Not good, I know. I now plan to take all my 90 day reports to Mukdahan where they have always been professional and friendly.

Thanks again for your insight

I have looked back on my own home page and through the Isaan Forum but was unable to find it. I think my posting was in response to complaints about another Immigration Office (Phiboon Mangsahan?) around 15 months ago; however, I can now only find positive comments re: their staff. If I find it in the future, I will forward same.

I have no doubt we are talking about the same official in NKP and following my complaints, I was offered the "more than 65,000/month" visa option which I was previously entitled to but never approved. Last year using this application, I was in and out with the years extension in my passport within 20 minutes. Now I only need 7 pieces of paper and will never need to take my wife there again.

I don't think you will have the option of using Mukdahan Office if you are registered in NKP Province -- but goal posts change every day.

I have been reporting for the 90 day and also renewing my one year retirement visa at the Immigration office in Korat.

Absolutely no problems. Friendly staff. Now it is totally computerized and it took jusy five minutes for my 90 day report.

I went there just 3 days before the due date. No fees .

John 1

It is my understanding that you are allowed to report up to 14 days prior and up to 7 days after your 90 day report date without being charged a fee.

Besides this wasn't a late fee charge that the officer was asking for, she was calling it a new fee for entering me into her computer for the first 90 day reporting date on a new 1 year visa.

thanks for your response though.

I normally always do mine on Samui. The fine for late report is 200bt a day. This was stamped on the piece of paper they attach to your passport. So they would be correct in asking you for 8000bt fine.

Thai Immigration is +15 days and-7 days.On day -8 the fine is 2000 baht for being late and can go up to 5000 baht max (I have seen this imposed). There can be an extra 200 baht per day imposed per day until the report is made and time does not stop. What the OP is talking about is an extortion of money by corrupt officials which is found in some immigration offices.

• Like 1

I normally always do mine on Samui. The fine for late report is 200bt a day. This was stamped on the piece of paper they attach to your passport. So they would be correct in asking you for 8000bt fine.

Thai Immigration is +15 days and-7 days.On day -8 the fine is 2000 baht for being late and can go up to 5000 baht max (I have seen this imposed). There can be an extra 200 baht per day imposed per day until the report is made and time does not stop. What the OP is talking about is an extortion of money by corrupt officials which is found in some immigration offices.

Surprised the word "some" is used in that last sentence! LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by DILLIGAD
  • Like 1