90 Day Reporting in CM - BY POST - Can It Still Be Done?

scooterboy

Not sure if the (excellent) info about this topic, posted by Tywais at the top of this forum (back in 2012) is still correct - or what?

I'd like to send my 90 day report by post, this time around (only). Is anybody doing it and/or can it still be done (by post, that is)? And yes - I live way, way out of CM, so I'm not inclined to pop by and ask.....

Thanks for any info

Cheers biggrin.png

No problem, the 90 days report postage was never cancelled for those living outside the city of Chiang Mai, because the IMMI office do not want to force people to travel a long distance > to and fro < every 90 days for this service.

Nevertheless, the 90 days postage can now be done again for those living within the city of Chiang Mai, but some IMMI officers do not recommend it because they are aware of the fact that on occasions postage gets lost 'either way' within the postal service in Chiang Mai, thus it creates problems for the foreign applicants.

In order to avoid those problems they suggest to come to the office and take place in the 90 days report queue.

Sent mine via EMS on the 15th. Tracked and affirmed it was delivered on 16th. As of the 29th no returned new slip.

Edited by Tywais
Changed to standard font

Quite sensible, personchester, isn't it?

One bothersome matter: When foreigners register by post, they haven't always included the correct documents,etc, provided a pre-addressed envelope that is clearly addressed and pre-paid. That does cause headaches for Immigration. If that happens, the only resolution really is not to complain about it on TVCM but actually visit the office to straighten out the problem --- TAKING THE REGISTERED RECEIPT FOR THE MAILING WITH YOU! (Sorry to shout, but the obvious is not always obvious.) See the pinned instructions above for the details of your submission. As well, you can find it all in English on the Immigration website.

Otherwise, so much yaddayaddayadda about the post office, which is extraordinarily efficient (flexible and inexpensive) in Thailand.

BawBae, don't be too nervous. At the very most, if you really were avoiding registration or were too late, it would cost you at most a fine of 2000 bhat. Otherwise, we don't know where you live or if you provided all that was needed. Maybe you didn't, and you will have to see about that.

Edited by Mapguy

If it doesn't come, I just take the copies again and go in the afternoon. One time last year they many of them in a drawer behind the counter unmailed, saying the post office wouldn't collect them. Once I went in with all the proofs of the EMS being delivered and they just pulled out another form for me to fill out, hence always taking the full complement of copies. When I get my renewal, I make four sets with the new extension stamp the next day and put it aside until the time and just drop in the expiring notification and send EMS.

Edited by Tywais
Changed to standard font

Thanks, for your input, guys.

I have until Feb 20th to get my 90 days done (last day), so I'll start getting the papers in order and post

them off around Feb 5th.

That ought to be in really good time!

Cheers biggrin.png

I thought you now had to have the pass port not just a copy.

As I understand things, you DON'T send your passport (EVER!) in the post, for what will you do if it gets lost ?

I don't think I would want to use an agent that keeps my passport .....w00t.gif

Copies are sufficient for postal 90-day renewal - and you can just staple the new receipt (when it arrives) into your passport, which you hopefully still have.....

(However, any- and everyone is welcome to correct me...thumbsup.gif )

Cheers

Oh - and I presume that the passport photocopies have to be signed before sending, though Tywais doesn't mention this in the pinned thread about 90 days reporting.

Most (but not all) times I've met up at CM Immi, I've had to sign all of my documents for 90 days renewal.

Cheers

Not sure it makes any sense to do it by post now. CM immigration has fixed their over-the-counter process. Now you just hand over your papers and passport, they update things right there at the counter, and hand back your passport. Last time I reported, I was out the door 4 minutes after walking in.

Oh - and I presume that the passport photocopies have to be signed before sending, though Tywais doesn't mention this in the pinned thread about 90 days reporting.

You are correct and now updated in the pinned topic. Also, emphasized in red now to make it more obvious, to not send your passport in mail in reporting.

Not sure it makes any sense to do it by post now.

The process, based on reports and my own experience, is quite smooth now. For those who are within a reasonable distance to IM it probably isn't necessary but those who have 1,2 or more hour round trips to get there it does make sense. Example are quite a few members seem to be out at Doi Saket or similar distances.

Most (but not all) times I've met up at CM Immi, I've had to sign all of my documents for 90 days renewal.

Cheers

Correct I was in Friday and had all my papers with me. The girl who handed me my number told me to sign them. Just a little thing but it sure makes a difference if you are mailing them and even if you are taking them in person as it does take time to sign and if a lot of people have to sign it adds up.

The process, based on reports and my own experience, is quite smooth now. For those who are within a reasonable distance to IM it probably isn't necessary but those who have 1,2 or more hour round trips to get there it does make sense. Example are quite a few members seem to be out at Doi Saket or similar distances.

Your showing your age with the 1 hour return being considered a long trip.tongue.png

Your showing your age with the 1 hour return being considered a long trip.tongue.png

I use an equation for it. Distance x Time2 = stress level. wink.png

• Like 1

I use an equation for it. Distance x Time2 = stress level. wink.png

thumbsup.gif I will take your word for it. Not having a vehicle and relying on Thai Visa for time spent in traffic. I guess it doesn't have to be very far to equal one hour to and back. Even walking I can see the difference in the traffic in two years. Old age doesn't go back much farther. Just going to get worse.sad.png On the other hand some times it makes it real easy to cross a busy street as they are just parked there any how.giggle.gif

Took my passport yesterday morning to Assistthaivisa in Chiang Mai Land. Signed multiple photocopies, was relieved of 1000baht (which includes their reminder, so avoiding 500baht a day over runs!); walked to ButterisBetter in Chang Klan for a late breakfast of excellent Eggs Benedict, excellent coffee and a pretty serving wench. Stopped off to see some friends, then returned to get my passport at 3pm.

Go to immigration to save 1000 baht, and miss all that-Nah!

I know slightly off the OP's question, but if he phones Assistthaivisa maybe he can courier his passport back and forth and sleep more easily than mailing it to immigration. Just a thought.

But if I lived an hour out, I would love the excuse to come into Chiang mai for the day, not much of which needs to be spent at immigration (none if you are relaxed about paying a competent agent)

Took my passport yesterday morning to Assistthaivisa in Chiang Mai Land. Signed multiple photocopies, was relieved of 1000baht (which includes their reminder, so avoiding 500baht a day over runs!); walked to ButterisBetter in Chang Klan for a late breakfast of excellent Eggs Benedict, excellent coffee and a pretty serving wench. Stopped off to see some friends, then returned to get my passport at 3pm.

I know slightly off the OP's question, but if he phones Assistthaivisa maybe he can courier his passport back and forth and sleep more easily than mailing it to immigration. Just a thought.

But if I lived an hour out, I would love the excuse to come into Chiang mai for the day, not much of which needs to be spent at immigration (none if you are relaxed about paying a competent agent)

Well I am happy you are happy but I did not enjoy it when I walked into Butter is Better for a late breakfast and the place was full. Rather you had been elsewhere as I enjoy there tuna, egg and chicken salad sandwiches which are made with mayonnaise that has no sugar in it and are just the right size for me. I get the sugar in the Peanut butter shake.biggrin.png

Well I am happy you are happy but I did not enjoy it when I walked into Butter is Better for a late breakfast and the place was full. Rather you had been elsewhere as I enjoy there tuna, egg and chicken salad sandwiches which are made with mayonnaise that has no sugar in it and are just the right size for me. I get the sugar in the Peanut butter shake.biggrin.png

Coincidence eh? Yes it was full so I had to sit outside which is a tad noisy, but I soon got lost in my kindle -and the eggs benedict were outstanding-a real treat!

Maybe I will try your reco for Peanut Butter shake next time - that will be a new experience for me!

Goody! Mission accomplished!

I sent the signed photocopies, et al, on 4th February by EMS, price 37 baht (plus a 5 baht stamp for the return envelope).

Got the receipt in my hands 10th February (after the weekend), so a quick service - and possibly I'll use it again.

The receipt was a computer print on recycled paper - on the back was someone's passport details.......facepalm.gifsmile.png

...and for the ones that think I should make a personal visit...not possible at all at the moment due to a broken leg (hence the original question), no matter how tempting visits to ButterIsBetter may sound. Too, it's a (at least) 2 hour drive by motocy to CM Immi from where I live - and it's still freezing cold in the early mornings in my area..

Thanks for everybody's input - and glad I could help clear things up, as well, with the signed papers bit.

Cheers

• Like 1