Video: Thailand is spiraling out of control

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, who's planning to leave Thailand. I already have a Plan B. Will probably leave for a while anyway, as it's just getting worse and worse and could explode at any time. I don't want to be around when that happens.

If you left, where would you go. My next choice has always been Phnom Penh, but that seems to be going the same way.

Malaysia maybe or Europe for a while. Oh, hang on, there's a civil war about to start there as well.

Edited by davejones

I thought Thaksin had the support in Isaan, not Nakhon Sawan and Chiang Mai?

Yes the family is from Chiang Mai - but Nakhon Sawan no I wouldn't think so too...

5:07 Now THAT is scary... And again makes other allegations about intimidation of the ricefarmers all that more trustworthy...

• Like 1

Yes the family is from Chiang Mai - but Nakhon Sawan no I wouldn't think so too...

5:07 Now THAT is scary... And again makes other allegations about intimidation of the ricefarmers all that more trustworthy...

With the 2011 elections Pheu Thai gained support of nearly all the rice-growing provinces exactly because of the promised rice-subsidy.

post-11437-0-55976400-1391095475_thumb.p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2011_Thai_general_election_results_per_region.png

So, who's planning to leave Thailand. I already have a Plan B. Will probably leave for a while anyway, as it's just getting worse and worse and could explode at any time. I don't want to be around when that happens.

If you left, where would you go. My next choice has always been Phnom Penh, but that seems to be going the same way.

Malaysia maybe or Europe for a well. Oh, hang on, there's a civil war about to start there as well.

Malaysia is already cleaner and better organized. But it's much more expensive. Vietnam also a possibility--I've been around Vietnamese since I was in my early 20s; while I like them, they are hard nosed, all business, and vicious in a way that Thais cannot imagine. But I will not go back to the US. If I was 10 years younger, it might be worth while to go to Myanmar and watch it build up.

This ain't gonna stop after the election. Yellows will be unhappy, which will make the reds unhappy and same old same old.

It can only escalate and when something extremely significant to Thailand happens in the future……KaBOOM!

• Like 1

it might not be such a bad thing if it was split in two it could save a lot of lives better than civil war if it came to that, berlin was split in 2 ireland split in 2 vietnam korea to name a few, could reunite at a later day when the 2 political rivals pass away of old age

Malaysia maybe or Europe for a while. Oh, hang on, there's a civil war about to start there as well.

I was thinking the same thing 40 years ago - something has changed here? Nope. Maybe I ll just hang around a few more then.

Oh - I know the army does not kill as many or as often anymore - now that's change we can all live with - even if the price of Kowpot is way up from 5 baht a plate.

• Like 1

I don't see what some guy in CM has to do with intimidation of rice farmers. If true, it would've been someone local. I am surprised you are shocked by what the red shirt DJ says. Surely it's just obvious? I have been telling (Thai) supporters of Suthep's council that if it comes to pass it'll require massive repression and bloodshed to suppress the red shirts and they either don't seem to care or are oblvious to it... quite remarkable.

• Like 2

With the 2011 elections Pheu Thai gained support of nearly all the rice-growing provinces exactly because of the promised rice-subsidy.

attachicon.gif2011_Thai_general_election_results_per_region.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2011_Thai_general_election_results_per_region.png

I keep seeing that election result map popping up today.

I dfon'r know why people are still pimping it, because it means absolutely zero now.

I spent this evening talking almost exclusively about the elections and the troubles here in Thailand at the moment. The contrast of opinion about the PTP compared to 2 and a half years ago could not be so vivid.

PTP has lost MASSIVE support up here in the north now..... Yes I live in the north, and I have not found a single person willing to vote for them, they are hated here now, and it is just the UDD and their red shirt minority brigade of thugs that for some reason cling to supporting this rabble. I would say that 70% of the red on that map is either against Thaksin now, or at best swing areas.

The most interesting thing, is that I wanted to know if the PTP are buying votes still in the north, and not a single person has been approached by anyone. The wife's cousin has been trying to contact the lead campaigners to see where the money is available, and not a single baht being offered because the Dems are not running..... That says a lot doesn't it.

But I was being told that even if they get paid by PTP they are going to put their X in the 'no vote' section.

PTP seem pretty smug that this is a one horse race. But the number of votes counted will reveal the real and true picture. I would not be surprised if their count came to something like 8 million as opposed to over 15 million last time out..... Even if they secured 11 million votes, it woiuld have spelled a major defeat had the Dems run.... I can tell you that now, because I am there in the north talking to all the EX-PTP voters.

• Like 2

Folks, if you have been living here together or door to door with Thais how can you now already talk about jumping ship?

One thing is, that in Thailand things normally don't get as bad as they might look from afar. Unless you insist (like e.g. news photographer, who'se job it is to be right in the middle), then there is little chance of getting hurt.

Then again, Thais will be glad to hear somebody, who is not directly involved, to call for calm (as opposed to compromise). That could be YOUR mission in the ongoing conflict. Else, why don't you just stay in the office or at home,- just as on a regular day?

Slim chance anybody will fire a M-79 into your appartment...

Instead think positive, live positive.

Edited by SamMunich
  • Like 2