Briton Dies Of Severe Malaria

george

Backpacker dies in Thailand

LONDONDERRY: -- A Londonderry family have been left stunned by the death of their son just a day after he called from Thailand to tell them that he was unwell.

It is understood that Christopher Gallagher, 23, from Shantallow had contracted a very severe form of malaria, despite taking anti-malarial drugs and being innoculated before the trip.

Mr Gallagher had been on a backpacking holiday following his graduation from university.

He had called his parents on Friday to tell them that he was ill. But on Saturday the family were shocked to receive the news that he had died.

His parents told the BBC that they thought their son knew he was seriously ill when he phoned them. But they knew that he had taken medical advice before he left on the trip and thought that he was protected.

--SP/KMcA 2006-05-23

Source

Tragic Chris said goodbye in final call

We knew he was dying, say parents of Derry malaria victim

The heartbroken family of a young Londonderry man who died in Thailand from a deadly strain of malaria today expressed the overwhelming love and pride they felt for him.

Christopher Gallagher (23), from Liscloon Drive in the Shantallow area, contracted a deadly strain of the virus while fulfilling his life's ambition to travel the world.

The virus gripped the Queen's University graduate around a week ago, just a couple of weeks before he'd planned to return home from his gap-year style trek.

Christopher had been taking a course of anti-malarial drugs before and during his trip, but doctors revealed that they were useless against the virulent strain he picked up after being bitten by a mosquito, probably during a visit to the Burmese jungle.

He spoke to his devoted parents Martin and Mary from a Thai hospital less than 24 hours before his death - by the end of the conversation they say they knew their son was dying.

Fighting back tears today, Mr Gallagher told the North West Telegraph: "He was saying goodbye."

Christopher was an English Literature graduate from Queen's University and a former St Columb's College student. He was considering a career in journalism on his return home. He died from organ failure brought on by two strains of the malaria virus.

"He said while he was away that he would be living with us for a while when he got home, getting a job and paying us back for the trip and university," Mary said.

"I joked with him that he could never manage it but I know he would have tried.

"I remember he wanted to go away before university but I managed to persuade him not to. But he was so determined, it was his dream, he loved other cultures and new people.

"One of the last things he said to me was that he didn't regret a moment of his travels.

"It was heartbreaking that we weren't there holding his hand, the only thing that's keeping me together is human contact.

"All our friends, family and neighbours have been amazing, as have the Embassy, the insurance people and the PSNI.

"He told me in his last phone call not to lose it if he didn't make it, but I thought he might be exaggerating - a few hours later I realised he wasn't joking and then of course I did lose it."

The Gallagher family, including their other son, also Martin, today revealed the depth of their love for their "brilliant" son.

"He was a bit of a genius really," said his brother Martin. "Academically and artistically in particular. We were very close."

Christopher's wide circle of friends came to the family home to show their love and support last night, while his family endured a desperate wait to discover when his body can be repatriated.

-- belfasttelegraph.co.uk 2006-05-23

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christopher Gallagher (23), from Liscloon Drive in the Shantallow area, contracted a deadly strain of the virus while fulfilling his life's ambition to travel the world.

The virus gripped the Queen's University graduate around a week ago, just a couple of weeks before he'd planned to return home from his gap-year style trek.

...virus...?! :o:D

...virus...?! :o:D

You're right. It's caused by a parasite;

Malaria is caused by the protozoan parasites of the genus Plasmodium (of the phylum Apicomplexa), and the transmission vector for human malarial parasite is the female Anopheles mosquito. The P. falciparum variety of the parasite accounts for 80% of cases and 90% of deaths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria

It's commonly mistaken to be caused by a virus as it rolls off the tongue better than "protozoan parasites of the genus Plasmodium".

cv

LingLing

I thought exactly the same as you - Virus?

If you do a google though you will find sites such as the NIH (National Instituteof Health) do have articles referring to it as a virus.

I work with some pretty shit hot people when it comes to Malaria who are working in the clinical trials for a vaccine that is working - I will try to ask one of them tomorrow their view on this.

Its said he was taking anti-malarials - it would be most interesting to know which he was taking. I have read on other sites some people arguing against them and saying western Dr's do not know.

Well as I said above I work alongside some acknowledged experts on Malaria and we as a company do issue anti-malarials for free to business traveller to malarial areas.

Yes sad for the chap, but nowhere is stated where he got it. Thailand? Highly unlikely. where did he go to. this is simply a non issue. he could have died in cambodia, Laos or Burma I doubt except for the place where de died, it is related to thailand.

I've had it in sub-saharan africa before, of course a different strain, while on anti-malarials as well. It's not fool proof as these (not so cheep) drugs don't always do the trick as bacteria and viruses mutate faster than you can say blueberry pie. What is a concern is that this is quite rare in Asia, although not unheard of. The doctors knew exactly what to check for in Africa...the fact that it's less common here raises the point that it's not a priority for doctors in Thailand. Do they always know what they are looking for? Or was is a last ditch effort for the doctors to save face and realize they made a mistake and not check the real reason why the young man was hospitalized?

Edited by Chiang Rai Guy

There was a TV documentary about Malaria in UK last year .There is quite a bit of reaearch going on in the Kampaengphet area and supposedly, the skeets up there are a right nasty strain so they said. iwish I could remember a little more about that program. Maybe Burma border areas are black spot areas for it.

In the Myanmar border area malaria is resistant to mefloquine, so doxycycline or malarone should be taken. Possibly the young man was taking mefloquine as the anti malarial unknowingly thinking he was protected. Malaria would not be ruled out in a hospital situation until tests were done, according to my wife, especially if they knew he had been trekking.

Edited by lukamar

Well, atleast he had a University degree...that will make a difference in... :o

...well it might have made a differnce in paying back mom and dad for dream trip.

sympathy goes out to the parents... who wants their son to leave this world before them ? Shocking...expecially since he was my age...

If I died today, I may not leave this world with riches and big life insurance policies, but nevertheless, wouldn't be in financial debt to anyone. Something to think about for those who have ever pondered death...

(no intent to offend anyone currently healing from this tragedy---things happen for reasons la ja)

Not only here but in most countries doctors are unaware of the Madagascar malaria that kills in 2 weeks and does not show in a normal blood test. a dose of Fansidar pills (3 at the same time once) makes it go away within 24 hours until the next attack. Many of the Thai gem dealers carry it and if stay in the area where the malaria mosquito active it can pass.

Normal malaria medication is quite useless, reducing the symptoms but not eliminating the problem.

I am not sure of the situation now but in the past there were periods where Fansidar was not available on the market.

wow, I didnt think one could die of Malaria in Thailand, and in the presence of medical help!! I am shocked.......my sympathies are with his parents. Parts of northern Myanmar are notoriously malarial, but I still can't believe the kid died!! The strain he contracted must have been horrendous.......its also possible he was a tad undernourished - I lost quite a few kilos backpacking about 10 yrs ago around these same parts......

[its Crap, we woking in Angola where living with guys dying from celerbraial malaria. I hope I spell it right. That one just gets u like a cold. next thing ur in the hospital. no way back mate/ Thai dont have that strain yet as far as I know

Pretty safe .... there are some places to watch out for along the borders ...

my partner got sick from Dengue a couple of years back ... it seems to be a bit more prevalent in Thailand than Malaria

As a matter of interest, does anyone take anti malaria tablets? My doctor back in the UK said you don’t need them these days compared to 22 years ago when they were recommended.

Edited by Phil_ne_uk

Very few people bother to apply mozzie repellant to areas of their person that they can't see.

Under arms, their back, and the backs of their legs, ankles etc.

Get a friend to apply it for you. :o

A very sad story about the N.Irish lad.

In Holland doctors say its not needed for the most parts of Thailand, and the stuff they can subscribe obly works about 50%, and it's heavy stuff.

But so bad a young guy like him ends this way, shouldn't happen!

My condolences go to the family and friends.

I will be honest, I didn't know that Malaria was still a killer disease ........... Well, I knew that without medical attention it was a killer , but I have assumed over the last 20 years or so, that if you contracted the disease, off you go to the hospital where the Doctor would innoculate you, let you sleep for a week, then off you go .......... but death!

Wow, eye opener to me!

a doctor friend of mine said if you go to an area where you could catch malaria ,you should be quite safe if you cover up and spray yourself , but if you go for any time take tablets[not sure why your ok for a short time]

Backpacker dies in Thailand

It is understood that Christopher Gallagher, 23, from Shantallow had contracted a very severe form of malaria, despite taking anti-malarial drugs and being innoculated before the trip.

Innoculated? But there is no malaria innoculation or vaccine.

My condoleances to the family. Sad and tragic story.

If you read the link of the BBC carefully it's not quite so sure if it was Malaria or not...* :o

Maybe we will hear** more later, where, how, when he was travelling and what disease he had.

*quote:

""""

"I'm sure he did know what it was really... malaria. You never think because he was taking the tablets and medication, I'm sure he must have thought he was protected," she said.

unquote

""""

It seems that the Lady (mother) doesn't know for sure.

**is there no more news in the Thai press?

LaoPo

There was a TV documentary about Malaria in UK last year .There is quite a bit of reaearch going on in the Kampaengphet area and supposedly, the skeets up there are a right nasty strain so they said. iwish I could remember a little more about that program. Maybe Burma border areas are black spot areas for it.

Yes, it's just been broadcasted in Sydney a month or two ago. They said the most resistant malaria strain in the world is along ther Burmese and Thailand borders. Almost impossible to cure.