Chiang Mai Airport expanding to 24 hour operation in April

jaiyenjohn

You can tell the current flight status at the CNX website. You select the time range and it will tell you all all flights departing/arriving. Saturday shows one arrival (China) at 1:50AM and nothing until 6:00AM. Unfortunately, seems no options to select a specific day of the week, just the current day. http://www.chiangmaiairportonline.com/node/10

Another site - Flightstats

Then what are all the planes everyone hears every night up until 4am? Are they all delayed?

As I mentioned, those sites only show the current day, which in this case is Saturday so will need to wait until Monday to check the weekday flights.

I was being serious Tywais - not being sarcastic - the terminal is shut, but the flights are still going overhead for hours after - maybe they do run cargo planes after commercial passenger slot, that would explain it I guess - and they wouldn't be on schedules either I guess.

DEA, CIA rendition flights or more boringly, DHL?

Does that work up North - I seem to remember most of the planes disappear up here as no towers or whatever - frightened the crap out of me once when I was tracking my parents visit last year.

It works fine. Wait for a minute or two for it to start getting the data on screen and then you can see what the plane you can hear is and where it's going. Better than television!

• Like 1

I was down there tonight dropping my old Mum off....wow, the busiest I have ever seen CM Airport on over 6 years, especially the international departures. The coach parking was full, loads of mini buses etc....noticed quite a few new flights eg. Hong Kong, Kunming etc etc....lots of Chinese I guess going home after visiting family here?

We are already getting flights in the middle of the night. Several landed around 3-4AM the past couple nights.

Yes I get them going over head nightly up until 4am (usually still at my desk - I'm a night owl).

Also seem to be getting lower these days, are they stacking more? Certainly so loud sometimes I have to put my fingers in my ears (or close the balcony door s).

Never seen any stacking into Chiang Mai, never busy enough, straight in and straight out.

Posted before, but here you can track live time every flight in and out of most airports around the world.

http://www.flightradar24.com/

I was down there tonight dropping my old Mum off....wow, the busiest I have ever seen CM Airport on over 6 years, especially the international departures. The coach parking was full, loads of mini buses etc....noticed quite a few new flights eg. Hong Kong, Kunming etc etc....lots of Chinese I guess going home after visiting family here?

Yes, I happened to be looking at flightradar24 yesterday-evening, and there were two on final-approach with two others, arriving from the East over Doi Saket & departing South towards Lampang, at one point.

Four aircraft in-the-air over the Chiang Mai plain, at one time ? Definitely busier than one would have thought !

You can tell the current flight status at the CNX website. You select the time range and it will tell you all all flights departing/arriving. Saturday shows one arrival (China) at 1:50AM and nothing until 6:00AM. Unfortunately, seems no options to select a specific day of the week, just the current day. http://www.chiangmaiairportonline.com/node/10

Then what are all the planes everyone hears every night up until 4am? Are they all delayed? Cargo planes? unscheduled??? I do find it strange as when my parents visited in December, they landed at 11pm, but I was late getting there (called them) and when I got there 55 minutes later, they were sat outside with a security guard having been kicked out the airport as it had closed. So always wonder where these people landing are actually getting on/off the plane. However, they ARE there - every night.

With all due respect I hear about one every other week or so unless it is a military one. I hear more helicopters than air planes.

I would imagine as the traffic increases in Chiang Mai the traffic in Bangkok will decrease. There are around 50 different countries advising people to take care in Bangkok.

Be interesting in seeing how it works out when the Bangkok party is settled and done for a while. We might see less flights out of and into Chiang Mai then. On the other hand there seems to be more people coming with money to live here in Chiang Mai and they may be adding to the traffic flow.

Bottom line is they are years away from needing a new airport and even when they get a new one the traffic flow will be the same. The complaints will be the same just coming from different people. The Taxi industry will be happy with the raise in cost they can charge. 150 baht to 200 or more. Less competition from songthaew and tuck tucks.

I highly doubt there will be many flights changing their arrival or departure times because there is a new airport. They still have to accommodate there arrival and departure times at the other end. The only national flights coming in at the late hours would be the same ones who do now. Just accommodating the international flights into Bangkok. No one in the morning arrivals in Bangkok no departures for Chiang Mai at those times.

Then what are all the planes everyone hears every night up until 4am? Are they all delayed?

As I mentioned, those sites only show the current day, which in this case is Saturday so will need to wait until Monday to check the weekday flights.

Now checked for Sunday and they show 5 departure flights between 12 midnight to 6AM with the latest departure at 3:49AM, all China bound. There are 4 arrival flights during that period, latest at 2:52AM, also China arrivals. So it is dependent on the day of the week and shows credence to the near 4AM flight sounds members are reporting.

Since those late flights are all China departures/arrivals wonder what it was like a year or two ago?

The big increase in traffic is the Chinese tourist flights that didn't exist even a year ago. Flights everyday from Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Wuhan, Kunming, Chengdu and some other cities that are not daily. This may only be beginning these flights could double or triple. Chiang Mai should stay popular with the mainland Chinese for a long time. Every year another 100 million wealthy enough to travel for the first time. This is why the airport is changing to 24 hour operations, a lot of these flights will work well in the early hours. The Chinese flights to Chiang mai are only a small fraction of the flights that Phuket and Bangkok receive. Take a look at Phukets arrival board in the early hours packed with flights to China. That's the direction Chiang Mai is going.

• Like 1

Start campaigning for that new airport now before the people who bought the land in expectation give in to temptation and sell to Land & Houses leaving no place to build one. Unashamedly NIMBY over this one, I'm afraid. By the way, did that Creative Kingdom development out in Sankampeng ever gain any traction beyond the studio?

The big increase in traffic is the Chinese tourist flights that didn't exist even a year ago. Flights everyday from Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Wuhan, Kunming, Chengdu and some other cities that are not daily. This may only be beginning these flights could double or triple. Chiang Mai should stay popular with the mainland Chinese for a long time. Every year another 100 million wealthy enough to travel for the first time. This is why the airport is changing to 24 hour operations, a lot of these flights will work well in the early hours. The Chinese flights to Chiang mai are only a small fraction of the flights that Phuket and Bangkok receive. Take a look at Phukets arrival board in the early hours packed with flights to China. That's the direction Chiang Mai is going.

Sadly I think you are 100 % correct. In CM last Friday I could have been in Beijing.

Whether it's the lack of car horns blasting at pedestrians or what, but I notice a lot of Chinese-looking folk wandering around the streets of Chiang Mai foot and bicycles like brown's cows, hardly expecting a car or bike to be bearing down on them.

For those who lead sheltered lives, it's a shock to see the way mere pedestrians are treated in China, and stepping onto a zebra crossing is enough to have truck and car drivers blasting their compressed air horns to get out of their way. Even the electric motor bikes just shove straight through people on a marked and traffic lighted crossing.

I hope no-one is flattened, but they certainly need to be much more aware of traffic here.

Does that work up North - I seem to remember most of the planes disappear up here as no towers or whatever - frightened the crap out of me once when I was tracking my parents visit last year.

Ok, so there you were, tracking the flight, and then ...

when my parents visited in December, they landed at 11pm, but I was late getting there (called them) and when I got there 55 minutes later,

... and then you managed to be late by pretty much the same margin as the overall flying time. ;) Tip : "Mum, dad.. guys.. hey just grab a cab. See you soon."

More planes are taking off to the North now turning south over San Sai,one at 5am this morning.

Chinese pilots get disoriented if taking off to the south as the ring roads are difficult to follow at high altitude and at night. whistling.gif

I heard that one as he blasted off from BigC end of CNX ... wouldn't wake anyone down this way unlike Thai's old A320 which rattles the windows.

More planes are taking off to the North now turning south over San Sai,one at 5am this morning.

Chinese pilots get disoriented if taking off to the south as the ring roads are difficult to follow at high altitude and at night. whistling.gif

I heard that one as he blasted off from BigC end of CNX ... wouldn't wake anyone down this way unlike Thai's old A320 which rattles the windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_Airways

Thai Airways doesn't actually have an "old A320" in its fleet, the few 'Thai Smile' A320s are all new, like Air Asia Thailand's ones, perhaps it's the elderly A300s or B747-400s which challenge Chiang Mai's glazing ?

And if Chinese pilots are having trouble finding the way, mightn't the Thai military moor their surveillance-blimp near Big-C, with a large flood-lit arrow pointing northwards, to help them ? laugh.png

Darn, should have held back that thought, for 1st April ! facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Ok, so there you were, tracking the flight, and then ...

when my parents visited in December, they landed at 11pm, but I was late getting there (called them) and when I got there 55 minutes later,

... and then you managed to be late by pretty much the same margin as the overall flying time. wink.png Tip : "Mum, dad.. guys.. hey just grab a cab. See you soon."

5555 yes, two different visits though :) - didn't track the December one (I was late for) - and it was waiting for a taxi that made me late, ironically.

We are already getting flights in the middle of the night. Several landed around 3-4AM the past couple nights.

All insomniacs living south of town can confirm that. I'm used to the 2 -7am flights,now I am totally confused.

Don't forget the land belong to the army. Night flights: military...

• 8 months later...

As the new capital of Thaksinland to be, they need to expand their operations.

They, also, have to buy lots of red carpet for his Excellency, when he arrives.

When his excellency does eventually take power, he will move the airport to San Patong; He has already built the new access road and owns the land on which the airport is to be built, so it is said. So then us Hangdongians can sleep in peace. . . . . .. . . . . perhaps 10 years away? I'll be old and deaf by then, so no matter either way!

Anyone know anything about non-stop flights from Shang Hai?

I've not heard of direct flights between Shanghai and CM.

However, AirAsia flies direct to Hangzhou from CM daily. Shanghai is about an hour away by high-speed train from Hangzhou. BTW, Hangzhou is worth a visit of 2-3 days as well.

Edited by giibaht

That would be the direct flight to Beijing I think

Yes, and lately some takeoffs after 1am as well.

Most China-bound flights takeoff heading north, and then veer East/NE over Sansai.

Most China-bound flights takeoff heading north, and then veer East/NE over Sansai.

Which airline flies direct from CM to Beijing?

Not sure check Dragon air, but there is one I'm sure

Which airline flies direct from CM to Beijing?

We live mid way between airport and Hang Dong, don't have any noise problems, aside from the odd chopper or military jet over-flying our village.

Maybe I'm DEAF!

Aircraft flying due south from the airport miss Hang Dong by at least 3 km. Scheduled flights seem to fly somewhat East of due South so there are no aircraft noise problems in Hang Dong or a few km north of Hang Dong.

Edited by nivram4491
  • Like 1