Abhisit declares he will not go to his polling station to vote on Sunday

webfact

Abhisit declares election boycott
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva Saturday declared that he will not go to his polling station to vote on Sunday.

"Tomorrow, I won't go to exercise my voting right because this election is not unconstitutional and it will not achieve a goal of an election under the democratic system," Abhisit posted on his Facebook wall.

He said he would not inform the Election Commission of his reason why he would not vote because his reason did not fit into reasons announced by the EC that voters can cite for skipping an election.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-01

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Tomorrow, I won't go to exercise my voting right because this election is not unconstitutional"

"NOT UNCONSTITUTIONAL"whistling.gif

And some accuse the Nation of being the opposition newspaper. Silly. Or could it be the red mole who misquoted him on purpose? wink.png

That's not what he said. He said:

Democrat Party leader Abhisit says in his personal Facebook page that he will not vote tomorrow as election is held unconstitutionally

http://www.mcot.net/site/content?id=52ec7749be04700ca88b45d4#.Uux7dljNvIU

Edited by Mackie

"Tomorrow, I won't go to exercise my voting right because this election is not unconstitutional"

Well spotted! Freudian slip perhaps?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

More likely an error in translation.

• Like 1

If the EC fails to organize polls and run elections, then they should be sued as individuals and their money used to cover the cost of the failed elections.

EC member Somchai Srisutthiyakorn said:

'The elections will not take place unless both parties and other stakeholders hold talks and reach an agreement. The EC is ready to act as a go-between.'

'After the registration of constituency candidates ends on Jan 1, the EC will hold a meeting on Jan 2 and make a decision,'

'Some people may say we are crossing the line. In some cases we might overstep our authority. But if that can resolve the situation, we have to do it,'

'And if the public thinks that we have crossed the line, we will take responsibility.'

When he admitted they might overstep their authority, it makes them personally liable for any failed elections. So if the EC wants to run this as a failed election outside it's legal bounds, then so be it, but they will pay the price personally as individuals.

Abhisit is an idiot, the EC looks like it's trying to void the election so he can stand in the next one, the CC even declared the EC & Government could agree to restart the election process letting him change his mind about standing.

But if he doesn't vote, then he cannot stand next time, so no restart would make any difference. If he remains as the leader of the Democrats, he condemns the party too, so he needs to be replaced if they are to rescue themselves.

Democrat MPs who don't vote, won't be able to stand, and won't have power, even in Democrat strongholds. So they need to consider their futures separate from loser boy.

If I recall, it was a meeting between the EC and Yingluck and the PTP very recently, where it was Yingluck and the PTP insisting that the election must proceed. The EC was, in fact, trying to get Yingluck and the PTP to agree to a postponement. However, probably a skype call, killed any chance of that happening.

Edited by WhizBang
  • Like 2

Abhisit says he will not vote tomorrow
By Digital Content

13912309719477.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 1 -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said he would not vote tomorrow, as this general election was held unconstitutionally and it could not answer the objectives of polling under a democratic system.

On his official Facebook page, Mr Abhisit posted a message at around 11am that he would not inform the Election Commission (EC) to offer explanation on why he would not exercise his rights.

The Democrat Party leader said he has to announce his decision in advance because he did not want anyone to cause any trouble at the polling station at Sawasdee Withaya School in Sukhumvit area where he normally casts his ballot.

Mr Abhisit said earlier that Democrat members could make their own decision on whether or not to go out and vote in Sunday's general election.

The anti government People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) has called for reform before the election.

Mr Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary general of PDRC was marching around Bangkok with supporters, encouraging eligible voters to shun the general election tomorrow. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-01

• Like 1

Bad translation by the journalist, I suspect.

Sent from my phone ...

• Like 1

If nothing else, I love it how some Thai people can demonstrate for many months, peacefully. I also have a lot of respect for the leaders of the demonstrations, who put their lives at risk every day. Mr. Abhisit made his choice and will live with the consequences, just like everyone else, on both sides.

At least he is not a sheep! wai2.gif

• Like 2

No. A doubled No means in normal logic yes.

In high level English a doubled No means a very strong No.

I think we can be sure it was translation error.

But... I dispute your language definition. A double negative always means a positive - it is very, very poor English-speaking to use a double negative at all.

• Like 2

Ching Ching mak mak

Abe says this poll is unconstitutional. Is it? I thought this was correct procedure given the circumstances.

Sure, he also says it is not objective, which goes along with the purpose for the protest, and that's fine. But unconstitutional? blink.png

• Like 1

Sunderland, on 01 Feb 2014 - 12:34, said:

Whilst it could yet bite him in the bum if the election proceeds and some time down the line all the results can be counted for the entire country, I think he already has a good idea that there is no hope in hell for this election to be validated further down the line. Therefore, he is confident that his opportunity to run in a future election will not be affected.

Personally, I don't care whether he votes or not. I prefer that Sunderland beat Newcastle tonight and that will probably ruin his weekend more.

Except for the mention of that girls game , Give me AFL any-day, I think you maybe rightcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Abhisit is such a hypocrit.

He says its unconstitutional but he supports a "people's council" with members chosen by Suthep and which excludes members of Puea Thai and allied parties, which is the party that received the most votes in the last election. In other words, the majority of Thais will be stripped of their voice in the future of Thailand.

How constitutional is that?

• Like 2

Abhisit is such a hypocrit.

He says its unconstitutional but he supports a "people's council" with members chosen by Suthep and which excludes members of Puea Thai and allied parties, which is the party that received the most votes in the last election. In other words, the majority of Thais will be stripped of their voice in the future of Thailand.

How constitutional is that?

Just asking, When have actually said it would exclude Phuathai or Coalition members?

I do know they said NO Shinawatras.