Red wave set to swamp Bangkok

Lite Beer

Forget Thailand for a minute.. Don't you all think that most governments, politicians, presidents and senators are corrupt and full of <deleted> in one form or another!

Where there are fair and free elections, without expecting perfection, at least there is a chance to turf 'em. If there is wholesale fraud and malfeasance of elected officials, simply reinforces the significance of said elections.

This denigration of Politicians in Thailand has an ulterior motive however, aside from demonizing favorites like Politicians and Lawyers....

What is that ulterior motive?....To besmirch elections by unelectables....It has long been a mantra of the PAD-Dem's to diabolize and disparage politicians en-masse, because they are the product of unwinnable elections......

So next time you see Politician slandering and vilifying in the anti-UDD/RS/PTP media, consider that this may be indirect shots at Electoral Democracy.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

''Don't be afraid. In Bangkok they look down on people from the north and say we are uneducated but we must show them that democracy is for everyone … our vote gives us the same rights as their vote,''

...they voted before.....they produced rice...(for only 1 example)......their produce was collected.....AND THEY WERE NEVER PAID.....

...who is insulting whom's intelligence....if not this present government.....

...the clincher will be if they repeat the same mistake....

• Like 1

Many seem to be shouting war and trying to ignite one. All caused by one single person for greed and desire of greatness. 64 years old and gathered billions. Still it's not enough. How does he think he can return to Thailand and live? Become president of the north? It will not happen.

x300px-2011_Thai_general_election_result

Can't we go back to the good old yellow shirt days when I only paid 200 baht to have my toilet cleaned.

90% of forum posters are wrong

I'd put it no higher than 20%. You seem to be using Suthep's system of rounding up numbers. However, the anti-democracy apologists do seem to be getting louder as their totalitarian plans fall apart.

Sick and false, like most posts of your too one sided to be true---never a middle ground to debate.

Why pick a little bit of my post did the other embarrass you--coward to cut the rest of my post.

Why did my reply say what it said-------you say only 1 in 5 of posters think mega corruption is wrong and the other 80% agree it is ok. ??? tripe.

Only three hours of voting left now and the election has been a huge success. Only three out of 33 constituencies in Bangkok have been blocked, and throughout most of Thailand voting proceeds unhindered. The anti democracy conspirators have got it wrong at every turn, and if they now try to thwart the will of the people by using their corrupt control of the courts they will indeed unleash a people's tsunami on Bangkok.

Great success ?? So I guess I can safely assume Yingluck will return to power with no

one else on the ballot, and we will be back to the old status quo. Meaning to dismiss

charges against Thaksin and the 25,000 people facing corruption charges, a continuation of

the rice scam which is well on

the way to bankrupting the country, and continued pressing for the 2.2 trillion baht

fill the feeding trough oops I mean the transportation bill which will put Thailand in debt

for 50 years.... You call that success ??? Wow.

Those that want Yingluk and who voted for her party will think it was a tremendous success, they had an election and elected the person they want. The minority will always be upset but the majority will be happy.

Today there are many blind Thai fools who are demanding their right to vote

But what are they voting for ?

How can you vote for democracy. When their is only 1 party to vote for

Todays vote is for democracy or dictatorship

If today you vote in a government that has no opposition only one party in power it is a dictatorship not democracy

The protestors have learnt

you can fool some Thais all of the time

But you can not fool all Thais all of the time

art-Thailand-1-620x349.jpg

Credit

If those folk do come to Bangkok ... I'll recommend to the gf that there is an untapped market maybe selling ageless face-cream to our friends from the north ... rolleyes.gif

Just thinking outside the colours square.

And by the same look at them - a few IQ enhancing injections wouldn't go amiss either

Wowser!

Only three hours of voting left now and the election has been a huge success. Only three out of 33 constituencies in Bangkok have been blocked, and throughout most of Thailand voting proceeds unhindered. The anti democracy conspirators have got it wrong at every turn, and if they now try to thwart the will of the people by using their corrupt control of the courts they will indeed unleash a people's tsunami on Bangkok.

Great success ?? So I guess I can safely assume Yingluck will return to power with no

one else on the ballot, and we will be back to the old status quo. Meaning to dismiss

charges against Thaksin and the 25,000 people facing corruption charges, a continuation of

the way to bankrupting the country, and continued pressing for the 2.2 trillion baht

fill the feeding trough oops I mean the transportation bill which will put Thailand in debt

Yeah, ain't democracy a bitch? Still, it's better than the Fourth Reich that Suthep and the fascists want to impose.

what democracy are you talking about

There is nor in thailand so it can not be here

as I have already said

If today you vote in a government that has no opposition only one party in power it is a dictatorship not democracy

I hope one day you will learn to accept Thailand for what it is

and stop trying to making it into the land you ran away from

First,...you must not be familiar with the North, and their supreme patience thus far. Second, you must not be familiar with how people who have been "bullied" reach a snapping point.

The PDRC goebbelesque propaganda has gone too far,...in a Country without sexist, racist, elitist, it would have never begun.

Like in the good old days of the 1930's Europe - You threathen by violence - hooligans from North will march towards an otherwice peaceful protest - peaceful and peacefully blocking (for the most parts) protest... I any normal democracy protests are legal and even part of the democracy...

You obviously haven't seen the news footage being watched by the rest of the World at this moment. Protest is legal, yes, physicly preventing electors from voting by force is not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26004195

As for peaceful.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25998717

How about burning down buildings to bring back a wanted murderer and dictator - is that legal?? Oh sorry we shouldnt discuss such things should we?

I hate to bother you with facts and details...but...the burnings occurred AFTER numerous attacks by the Army on protestors. These were the shootings where more than 90 people were killed and thousands injured BEFORE burning. Who murdered who here???

• Like 1

I keep reading this nonsense, its also too late, the election is a farce, no court i s ever going to say its valid. Whilst that is played out in court , the shins willl be facing multiple corruption and abuse charges.

So you are basically agreeing that it is part of a pre (badly)planned judicial coup.

Suthep and the Armed Milititia go out and block voting, hijack, burn and dump into canals millions of ballot boxes and then you think the Court can conjure up some magical judgement that blames the people who didn't do this.

The Courts have lost their backers now with the army staying out and will be re thinking how they proceed in the future.

stasisatimes is reporting that Army determined this time that the people sort it out as they really learned from past mistakes.

If this is true, it means no Coup for Suthep. which means Yingluk in power until recified.

All of which means, if Suthep looses, the Courts could be disbanded this time and with no tanks to protect them, they would have to go as they are a few old men trying to force out a popular government.

Many seem to be shouting war and trying to ignite one. All caused by one single person for greed and desire of greatness. 64 years old and gathered billions. Still it's not enough. How does he think he can return to Thailand and live? Become president of the north? It will not happen.

Why does Suthep want to be president of the North?

please link to where he said he did

all the posts I read says he will retire from politics

oops sorry to ruin your day

I don't post to often on these forms. I am an American and I live in homes from Krabi to Surin to Condo in Bangkok. I am amazed at the heartlessness of some of the stupid snide remarks that are mad about Thailand's crawl to Democracy. Every person in this country deserves the right to have a vote! Anyone that tries or suggest that be taken away. abolishes any good that they say they seek to do.

• Like 1

If the PTP have a landslide victory today, then the Thai people are getting what they want (and deserve). The problem here is that if you can successfully steal from your friends and neighbours, you are regarded as hero and your ideals are something to aspire too!!!

In Thailand you can fool most of the people most of the time.

• Like 1

One really has to be a blind fool to write such rubbish. So you are against democracy?! Go back to your home country, Thailand does not need your kinds of expats!

Timwin....EricBerg was absolutely correct. It is so transparent. Thaksin is so deluded and the reds that support him are just beyond words.

I am not a fan of Yingluck and her brother but who else is going to help the north? Thaskin is using them for self gain but he helps himself and he helps the north as well.

What other choice do they have?

.............democracy.................a world without Thaksin..............a world where Thais can ALL support each other.........a world where North an South work together for themselves - not for Shinawatra bank acouunts and crime

Most can agree a world without Thaskin is a better place but I still make the point, who will help the north. Yellow shirts aren't going to volunteer to help the north if T is gone. They will proclaim victory and nothing has been repaired. If the yellow shirts want to unify Thailand they need to offer something to replace Thaskin and give the north some reassurance that they won't get left out and screwed again. Simply removing T doesn't fix the the real problem.

• Like 1

I keep reading this nonsense, its also too late, the election is a farce, no court i s ever going to say its valid. Whilst that is played out in court , the shins willl be facing multiple corruption and abuse charges.

So you are basically agreeing that it is part of a pre (badly)planned judicial coup.

Suthep and the Armed Milititia go out and block voting, hijack, burn and dump into canals millions of ballot boxes and then you think the Court can conjure up some magical judgement that blames the people who didn't do this.

The Courts have lost their backers now with the army staying out and will be re thinking how they proceed in the future.

stasisatimes is reporting that Army determined this time that the people sort it out as they really learned from past mistakes.

If this is true, it means no Coup for Suthep. which means Yingluk in power until recified.

All of which means, if Suthep looses, the Courts could be disbanded this time and with no tanks to protect them, they would have to go as they are a few old men trying to force out a popular government.

Not sure how you reach the conclusion it was badly planned, its gone very much according to plan. Calling the election was Taksins mistake. His sister will limp on but ultimately will end up in Dubai or in jail. You have to realise some people take a much more long term view and don,t really believe everything will be sorted out today.

Are you living in a dream

After the election Yingluck will not be in Power win or loose

the very best she can hope for is be in the caretakership till the fat lady sings

and as a caretaker every little mistake she makes will be magnified as she has no power to hide them

Not a good situation that her brother has forced her in to

post-13618-0-19264600-1391321492_thumb.p

• Like 1

No you only want those agreeing with you whether they are Thai or falang

You are supporting a group which is trying to deny the fundamental right of voting! It does not get any more undemocratic than that! The Yellows have had multiple opportunities to make their so called "reforms" recently, in 2006-2008 especially.

Only some arrogant and ignorant Bangkok expats continue supporting them for some selfish reason obviously. Some are even hoping for a military coup.

Keep on voting is the only way to get rid of corrupted politicians eventually. Military coups only hand power back to the same corrupted elite in Bangkok and nothing improves. The Reds are not much better but at least it is a small step forward.

This arrogant attitude of Thai Chinese minority is very dangerous. The idea it is their birthright is to rule over Thailand. It could turn against themselves if the angry Reds really started flooding to Bangkok. All that decades long hate just waiting to be released. It could turn very ugly and very fast. When Thais lose their cool, they really lose it in very bad way. I hope it does not come to that.

In 2010 it was very close of starting a civil war. Government buildings already were burning all over the place but for some unknown reason it did not escalate beyond that. This time we might not be so lucky.

Finally someone who knows what there talking about, the Chinese started imagrating to Thailand over 400 years ago, between 1882 & 1917 there where 30,000 per year coming to Thailand, starting in 1910 they where required to take Thai surenames, they currently make up around 14% of the population around 9 million. Between WWI & WWII they contoled all the rice, timber, tin and rubber being produced in Thailand mainly via corruption. Today 80% of the Thai stock market is controled by Thai Chinese, 80% of the top 40 wealthiest Thais are Thai/Chinese with the new 2013 #3 being Chareon of Thai Bev.

Yingluck, Abiset, Thaksin and most all of the past 10 PM's have been Thai/Chinese, the military, the courts and most public offices at the high level are Thai/Chinese. They are seperate society within the Thai society, you will rarely ever see a Thai chinese marry a Thai, they are only allowed to marry within there society, if they do so they risk being shunned by their family.

I am not saying that all Thai/Chinese are bad or corrupt, but the current situation is just a power struggle between the Thai/Chinese elites, with the poor Thai people being manipulated stuck in the middle!

Interesting

Now can you please tell me which group pays all the high taxes that sees the north have a reasonable life style

we live in Udon

we have electricity

we have water

we have roads to drive on

we have radio and TV

Udon is not the poor place that has nothing

but all the good things we have must be paid for by someone

Please show me links to where Tasking spent his money on the North

Not the taxes paid to the government by the people you hate

I think you posted under the wrong topic, I love Thailand and the Thai people, my hope for them is that get out from under the thumb of the Elites from both sides!

Yeah, ain't democracy a bitch? Still, it's better than the Fourth Reich that Suthep and the fascists want to impose.

what democracy are you talking about

There is nor in thailand so it can not be here

as I have already said

I hope one day you will learn to accept Thailand for what it is

and stop trying to making it into the land you ran away from

One party didn't want to contest the election and that is their right but there is still more than one party to choose from.

''We will not be the ones who will start the war, but if a coup happens we will announce that we will fight,'' Pichit says. ''Our groups have met and we have developed a plan to defend against an elite group that is bent on destroying our democratic system.''

Do they mean their own personal version of their democratic system?

Well it must make sense to them........

Considering the latest news from the south today, I think this Nation Media Group conceived "red wave" is the least of one's worries;

Three soldiers and a district election official in a bomb attack on Sunday as a general election was being held around the country.

Jatra Promkaew, an election official in Pattani province, was killed along with three soldiers after gunmen fired shots at a security checkpoint and set off three bombs, police said.

An opportunistic attack, and one that is heartbreaking. I can bet you those 3 "soldiers" were probably conscripts, aged between 19-22.

Someone's kids. It's so bloody sad. My heart goes out to their families.

You're talking about Suthep, right?

I hate to bother you with facts and details...but...the burnings occurred AFTER numerous attacks by the Army on protestors. These were the shootings where more than 90 people were killed and thousands injured BEFORE burning. Who murdered who here???

I don't really want to go into a rehash here, but why did it take them more than 4 weeks to start burning down buildings? That's a bit like them taking 4 years to protest against the coup.

''We will not be the ones who will start the war, but if a coup happens we will announce that we will fight,'' Pichit says. ''Our groups have met and we have developed a plan to defend against an elite group that is bent on destroying our democratic system.''

Do they mean their own personal version of their democratic system?

Well it must make sense to them........

Again what democratic system

any one who thinks Thailand under Taskin is democratic, lives in Fairy Land

I don't really want to go into a rehash here, but why did it take them more than 4 weeks to start burning down buildings? That's a bit like them taking 4 years to protest against the coup.

Read Thai history

Red shirt leader where asking red shirts to bring 5 litres of petol to Bangkok way before the military got in involved

Edited by tezzainoz

Initially I believed the protest movement to be genuine and included some legitimate concerns. I changed my mind: it was conceived with evil intent , dominated by self-interest, manipulated good people into actions and consequences they did not intend, supports the few at the expense of the many, expresses contempt for the rights of others.I hope that the PTP govt survives with Yingluck at the helm: it's not been great but beats the hell out of the alternative. The amnesty bill, as originally conceived and discussed prior to the last election, looks awfully good and fair to me....

I just hope, that the bloodshed will stop and that things will be peacefully resolved soon.

Last night, a popular singer, on one of the Demonstrator stages started talking and said "Just because we are on different sides, doesn't mean that we cannot sit down together, as friends".

He hit the nail right on the head. In my town, there are many people who follow whatever Thaksin says and a few of us, who are on the demonstrators side, but we all sit together, eat, drink, have fun. There are no threats, no mean words, just good food and drinks. Our neighbor supports the other side and we both keep our TV's low, out of respect for each other, not trying to brainwash each other with our rhetoric. (We have businesses right next to each other)

We also have members in the same Motorcycle club, on both sides, but choose to stay away from political rhetoric, when we are together. So much more fun to eat and get drunk than to fight and scream.

In the end, we are all just pawns in a global chess game wai2.gif

And yet you are supporting the side that will take their votes away, and expect them to stand for it I'm afraid that a reality check may be coming your way soon.

• Like 2

Read Thai history

Red shirt leader where asking red shirts to bring 5 leters of petol to Bangkok way before the military got in involved

Indeed it is worth doing some reading. There is a good chronology here.

http://www.thaiaccountability.org/

Bangkokian never look down on other provinces Bangkokian only look down on people who torch their own country because country belongs to everyone,

Do not used northern or central for politic gain as this moved will divide the whole nation .

I have tried to understand how to fix this and I cannot see any way out. This country is like a dog chasing its tail.

Yingluck WILL win. It is a given. Yellows will be pissed. Coup happens. Reds swarm to BKK. Coup again.

This month, any time you fart, burp or spit, a coup will happen.

Eric: You are right, of course -- but don't expect the mindless Red farang robots (RFRs) parroting the Thaksin/Amsterdam line to comprehend and/or to accept what you (and others) have been patiently trying to explain week after week after week. I say "and/or" because I suspect that (a) some RFRs are so simplistic in their thinking that they genuinely can't conceive of the complexity involved here: that choosing the ruling party through the ballot box may very well lead to a far more authoritarian government in the mid-to-long run than temporarily calling a halt to elections so that the rules can be re-written in order to prevent the determined-to-be-dictator Thaksin (and his puppet parties) from ever being able to hold office again; to these folks, voting automatically means democracy, and no further thinking is necessary. But at least these folks are being honest when they criticize Suthep's reform movement: they're far too bewildered to realize that Thai politics is like an onion and they need to devote some time and effort to peeling off a few more layers before expressing their opinions.

Then there is the b group of RFRs. These people, one senses, know perfectly well that if the showdown with Thaksin fails, the boundlessly ambitious, wildly unscrupulous Machiavellian (who yet so often makes astonishingly poor strategic and policy decisions) will lock in his power and Thailand will never see democracy again for at least a generation: I'm talking 30 years or more. In other words, the b-group RFRs endlessly malign the Suthep movement even though they fully understand that should Thaksin win, democracy would be history in Thailand, particularly once the Ultimate Political Transition occurs. Why do they nevertheless slander Suthep and his supporters in the name of democracy, hour after hour, day after day? (Really, where in hell do they get so much time?) It's against the TV rules to suggest that some might be on someone's payroll, so I won't go down that route. But I will suggest that some in this group own tourism-related businesses in Thailand (probably bars and such) and are pissed off about the drop off in business. And lately I've been wondering whether the ones who live in small Isaan towns and villages with their wives' families feel a sense of danger that unless they can prove to the local Red Shirt goons that they are completely on their side -- "look, here's the proof: I'm maligning Suthep every day!" -- they could eventually find themselves in grave personal danger if the Reds ultimately lose (which of course they will) and decide the farang countries didn't do enough to support "democracy" in Thailand, meaning Thaksin's bid to lock down a dictatorship. Because although many foreign journalists fail to understand the complexities of Thai politics, most of the farang embassies do, and they've been explaining the situation to their home governments. Once the Reds and Thaksin conclusively lose, lots of young Isaan males are going to be really, really angry -- and for some of them, their anger will be intensified after they ingest certain stimulating chemicals. No one should be surprised if a few farang outside of Bangkok find themselves targets of sharp hostility.

So -- at the advice of my Thai girlfriend (she is Sino-Thai from Bangkok, but decidedly middle class; she dislikes Thaksin but also *hates* Army intervention in politics: basically, she's a middle-of-the-roader) -- I am going to take the Buddhist route and no longer express anger or waste my time trying to reason with either group: the a-group RFRs that are too simple-minded or uniformed to understand the complexity of the current situation, and the b-group RFRs mouthing off out of fear of their businesses failing or having the shit kicked out of them (or even being murdered) once all hell breaks loose after the Red Shirts conclusively lose.

I would suggest others consider taking this route and just let the RFRs rant. In the first place, it does absolutely no good to reason with them. They're not here to discuss or reason, because discussing and appealing to reason and hallmarks of democrats and the RFRs support the putative dictator Thaksin. That's why so many RFRs cheer and celebrate when Suthep protesters get maimed and murdered. Any real democrat witnessing this violence would realize: "Hey, maybe I better re-think my position. Because is the death penalty an appropriate punishment for people conducting a civil disobedience campaign against an election that they think will pave the way for dictatorship?"

In the second place, the side the RFRs support is going to lose no matter what -- surely we all know that -- so all their ranting is, at best (for them), just a laughable waste of time. At worst, it may lead to some of them being deported if they're really living in Thailand and aren't taking steps to mask their IP addresses.

Since you are stereotyping all farang who are against Suthep as RFR, then I presume it is ok for me to brand you as a YFE =Yellow Farang Elitist. A lot of so called RFRs who does not support Suthep does not means we do not support reform for the better of Thailand. I for one does not support Suthep is because of his not so clear policy which does not guarantee voting rights, and would he be any less power hungry than Thaksin if Suthep get into power from this protest. With the government now, Thai's are at least guarantee voting rights to vote out any politician they does not like every 4 years by the Constitution, but from Suthep is only promise from his speech which he can deny when he is in power.

You yourself is displaying traits of those RFRs you are calling when you start calling others "mindless" and "simplistic" if they do not share your views, and it is another reason why so many people are intolerant of the opposite side.