What is the best visa for me?

Hi guys,

New member here and I have a few questions on which visa would be right for me. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

A bit of back ground information;

I'm a 23 year old male currently residing in my home country England. I work offshore in the oil and gas industry (freelance) and normally work offshore around 200 days a year.

Once I have made the move to Thailand I plan on still working around 200 days offshore hopefully on a 28 day offshore 28 day at home rotor (with the travel days coming out of my home days)

I have spoke to a lot of guys offshore who live in Thailand and around 90% of them live in Thailand on the 30 day visa exemptions they receive when they return after a job. Is this generally the done thing?

If I was doing this and wanted to have a couple of months or so off work how would I do this? Are they very tight on people who reside in Thailand on the 30 day visa exemption, bear in mind I will be out of the country more than I am in.

If I was on say a non-immigrant B visa would I need to pay Thai tax on my earnings? Even if they my money is made outside if Thailand?

Apologies if some of the questions I have asked have been answered in previous threads ( I'm still finding my way around the site).

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Using 30 day visa exempt entries would not be a problem as long as you always have a ticket out of the country within those 30 days.

If you new when you would be in the country longer than 30 days you could get a tourist visa. A tourist visa would be valid for 90 days and give you a 60 day entry extendable for 30 days.

As long as you are not here for more 180 days total days in a year you are not liable for taxes in any case.

Using 30 day visa exempt entries would not be a problem as long as you always have a ticket out of the country within those 30 days.

If you new when you would be in the country longer than 30 days you could get a tourist visa. A tourist visa would be valid for 90 days and give you a 60 day entry extendable for 30 days.

As long as you are not here for more 180 days total days in a year you are not liable for taxes in any case.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately even after I have secured my place on a permanent rotor I will never receive my flights until maybe two days before I am due to leave for work.

So when I land in Thailand I will have no travel booked for leaving the country within the next 30 days.

Can a tourist visa be obtained from within Thailand?

A tourist visa can only be obtained at an embassy or consulate outside of Thailand.

You could look for a one way ticket to any nearby country to show as a onward ticket. If you were to get ticket in advance you can get them so cheap that you could throw them away an not loose a lot of money.

• Like 1

A tourist visa can only be obtained at an embassy or consulate outside of Thailand.

You could look for a one way ticket to any nearby country to show as a onward ticket. If you were to get ticket in advance you can get them so cheap that you could throw them away an not loose a lot of money.

Ok mate understood.

I think like you said I will book a cheap flight out of the country for within the 30 day limit.

Thanks for your advice

Air Asia has cheap flights from Hat Yai to KL for as low as 1300 baht. If you come on a visa exempt entry and want to stay longer than 30 days you can do a border run, land or air, and get another 30 days on re-entry or go to either Vientiane or Savvanaket. Laos and get a tourist visa with a 1 night stay and get 60 days on re-entry which can be extended in country for another 30 days, cost 1900 baht.

• Like 1

Over a long period it may pay to get a ticket which is valid for a year and just keep changing dates for perhaps a small sum.

My thoughts exactly, especially if it's to a place you might actually you might actually want to go to one day (when the ticket needs to be used within the normal 12 month validity period, or lost). And I would look for an airline that doesn't charge any money to make a change in departure date.

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

The one year ticket with changeable dates seems like a good I idea to me.

As I will be on a visa waiver will I have problems with any everyday needs?

For example renting an apartment, obtaining car insurance or opening a Thai bank account?

You can open a bank account but you may need to try different banks and branches of the same bank.

Was talking to someone the other day on a tourist visa. Adamant that she could not open a back account on a tourist visa. Told her to go walking down the road and visit every bank branch that comes up. 5 branches an she got an account.

You can open a bank account but you may need to try different banks and branches of the same bank.

Was talking to someone the other day on a tourist visa. Adamant that she could not open a back account on a tourist visa. Told her to go walking down the road and visit every bank branch that comes up. 5 branches an she got an account.

I have been researching it and have found most people agree. The general consensus is that even if it is the banks policy not to let people on tourist visas open accounts the bank manager has discretion to allow it.

I have also read that it is not possible to obtain a Thai drivers licence whilst on a tourist visa. Is this the case or are there ways round it?

I have been researching it and have found most people agree. The general consensus is that even if it is the banks policy not to let people on tourist visas open accounts the bank manager has discretion to allow it.

Yes and a very great way of saying it. Discretion is the perfect word.

I have also read that it is not possible to obtain a Thai drivers licence whilst on a tourist visa. Is this the case or are there ways round it?

Not an issue on Samui.

• Like 1