New Zealand teen jailed in Thailand

webfact

Get a grip. He is 18 and did a silly thing. Was probably a 600baht phone. Of course he needs to cop a penalty but no need cut off his hands of nackers. We have all made mistakes and bad choices. Cut some slack and get of your high horses

It's not a "mistake", it's a serious crime. A mobile phone has a far greater value than the purchase price to most peo

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get a grip. He is 18 and did a silly thing. Was probably a 600baht phone. Of course he needs to cop a penalty but no need cut off his hands of nackers. We have all made mistakes and bad choices. Cut some slack and get of your high horses

It's not a "mistake", it's a serious crime. A mobile phone has a far greater value than the purchase price to most people. Stop excusing criminals, and punish them instead.

. A young, drunk, stupid foreigner nicks a phone and behaves badly....thrown in jail and left out of contact with those who are looking for him, fearing the worst.

Of course, he wasn't 'thrown in jail" he was arrested and taken to the police station and when he couldn't pay the bail he was offered, which would have freed him, he was transferred to (probably) the remand prison until someone comes up with 60k baht.

If you are arrested, in any country, you would not necessarily have the right to be put in contact with a drunken mate who may or may not be looking for you. His embassy would be informed though so that they could ensure his well-being which is what happened in this case.

Naughty Kiwi. Back home you would get diversion if you had no previous record.Thailand is a whole different ball game.

He's going to get off lightly in any case. I recall an American who stiffed a taxi driver for 50 baht getting sliced open with a sword.

Had he not been a westerner/tourist, he wouldnt be treated like a Soi Dog

At every turn, Thailand shames itself again!

And a New Zealander shames his country and his family..

Had he not stolen a phone and resisted arrest he wouldn't have been in that position at all.

• Like 2

who the f##k steals a phone from a taxi driver?

I get so frustrated with people who go to a foreign country, break the laws then complain about it.

its just like the folks who complain about paying fines or going to jail because they were caught "with a bit of weed".

its _illegal_ but you can kind of forgive those dabbling in a bit of pot, because is some parts of S.E. Asia it seems like it must be legal as its so prolific (even with the signs at the airport stating heavy penalties for drugs)

this <deleted> on the otherhand, takes a phone -- which I bet he thought someone else had left behind in the cab, i can't see him being ballsy enough to deliberately steal the drivers phone, and the family are all boohoo about it.

for a crime like stealing a phone, which noone is going to argue the morality of, throw the <deleted> book at him.

taking stuff that doesn't belong to you isn't ok -anywhere- and just because back in ol' kiwi land you'd get a slap with a wet bus ticket, doesn't mean that you'll get the same leniecy elsewhere.

I'll forgive alot of young drunken dickheadishness, but not petty theft.

His parents will be on some Current Affairs show crying and saying what a good kid he is and that he's never done wrong.

Some NZ Government Official will make comment that they are flying to Bangkok to discuss with Authorities tomorrow.

His Brother will fly over and visit him in the cells and tell us how horrid the conditions are and that "it's so unjust, eh?"

The Kid will pay a fine of 10,000 baht, wai the taxi driver in front of TV cameras, get out in a few days, fly straight home to a hero's welcome and all will be right with the world.

He will go on to steal a car by Xmas, get caught, go to Auckland prison and wonder where it all went wrong.

It's just a natural process. Let it happen.

Either that, or he might get a lucrative film offer, and become a millionaire. whistling.gif

Edited by Why ask

It's funny how people on here do nothing but bitch and complain about Thai police, but then when a faring acts out of line, you all jump on the bandwagon for them to receive a form of primeval Thai justice.

Thailand has a lot of Farang criminals living here. Be sure that they will attack the police and show sympathy with the criminal in forums like this.

These incidents reflect badly on all foreigners visiting Thailand, even though it is an individual committing the crime, on a subconscious level in the Thai public mind these crimes tarnish the image of all visitors. We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

Do you have any idea...how many foreigners phones have been stolen by Thais...? I doubt the Thai give this Taxi driver's phone...much thought...

Sympathy? I think not.

In "the shakeys" he might get away with a night in a cell and a slap on the wrist + tut tut and suspended sentence from a wuss magistrate - not here, lesson about to be learned, or an expensive holiday for a relative back home.

A Thai robs, bashes, scams, threatens, stabs (whatever) a foreigner and they are out on bail in Olympic split second timing ( or never charged at all) . Scandalous and disgraceful double standards in the land of scams

Before spouting ill-informed generalisation you, and the other posters that claim that Thais are excused most offences, should take a look in a Thai jail, they are full of Thais who have committed offences far less serious than you have mentioned. Foreigners that get imprisonment represent a very small percentage of the prison population. Not as scandalous and disgraceful as thieves.

These incidents reflect badly on all foreigners visiting Thailand, even though it is an individual committing the crime, on a subconscious level in the Thai public mind these crimes tarnish the image of all visitors. We are honoured guests, and as guests should behave properly and maintain high personal standards regardless of how the local corruption situation may be.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

Ok, so all the scamming, robbing, skimming, bag-snatching and jet-ski rip offs reflect badly on Thailand then, right?

• Like 1

How about this: Don't take other people's stuff. I think Thailand needs to start canning like in Singapore. These thieving turd teenagers both Thai and farang would stop stealing immediately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Singapore

Yes....but depends how big the cans are.

all this for a drunken teen who lost it for few hours ....... and he is in jail which is understandable of course .... where is the heir of red bull at the moment ? in jail or still in Singapore to treat his flu ?

Exactly

• Like 1

A foreign girl last year had the experience of getting a taxi ride home, the taxi driver took the highway, then faked a breakdown, told her to wait on the other side of the concrete barrier as it was safer, then asked to borrow her i-phone as his had no credit. You can probably guess what happened next, he drove off and surprise surprise, the police didn't hardly show a blind bit of notice, 4 hours in the police station, waiting for them to have breakfast and get round to the paper work.

I suppose they thought she was lucky not to have been raped as she is very pretty.

Unlike the poor foreign girl in Samui a few years ago, violently raped by a taxi driver, what happened to him, caught but never charged. His brother was a policeman.

So? Sad for those girls, but it does not justify this thief's actions. He gets what he deserves.

If the theft had occurred during the day the maximum penalty, if found guilty, would be up to three years' imprisonment.

For theft in the night it was one to five years' imprisonment.

So, I'll start to produce my little brown babies at day time from now on. Should have known earlier, damn!

Let's remember folks, he is still a kid. Yes he did wrong but a 1-5 year prison sentence is just wrong.

He will have the opportunity to settle before his case goes to the Prosecutor and he better do so and just move on.

Only if corrupt family/friends suggest it to corrupt officials. It doesn't come as a tick-the-box option.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

Nah, I think Thais are smart enough to distinguish the antics of a drunk (whatever the nationality) vs normal tourists.

I wish that were the case, but that's not how stereotyping works. We are more prone to attribute negative qualities to the 'other' (whomever that might be) than to our own group. This is especially true in the case of minorities: we are more likely to associate infrequent behaviour (e.g. theft) with numerically smaller groups (the "illusory correlation"). This is exacerbated by the fact that it's mostly criminal behaviour that gets into the news... the good things that a typical westerner does in Thailand just aren't newsworthy. All this conspires to create a negative stereotype of a minority group, in this case 'farangs'. Just reflect on your first reaction to seeing a middle eastern male with a long beard, white cap, and robe and sandals in our post-911 world.

Those with high school physics and common sense dont react much to seeing middle eastern muslim men in their traditional garb in the post 911 world.

• Like 1

A Thai robs, bashes, scams, threatens, stabs (whatever) a foreigner and they are out on bail in Olympic split second timing ( or never charged at all) . Scandalous and disgraceful double standards in the land of scams

Before spouting ill-informed generalisation you, and the other posters that claim that Thais are excused most offences, should take a look in a Thai jail, they are full of Thais who have committed offences far less serious than you have mentioned. Foreigners that get imprisonment represent a very small percentage of the prison population. Not as scandalous and disgraceful as thieves.

agree in part, have to think about why the Thai jails are bursting at the seams, drugs alcohol domestic abuse violent conduct stealing etc.,

General trend here is what Thais call free style upbringing, parental care lacking.

All these things you get in western countries, but here the rule of law is what you want it to be, most in Thai jails are there because they are poor unable to pay their way out. But the biggest fault is at home----up bringing.

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

PULEEEEZZZZZE!

How many more times do we have to listen to this nonsense? So now in addition the boy has personally shamed all the million ex pats living here and trashed our 'honoured' privilege status', best we petition to have him incarcerated for 25 years to life without parole then! Did you actually think before your fingers came up with that twaddle? How is any intelligent adult going to arrive at the conclusion that all foreigners visiting Thailand are smeared by this? Does that mean that with all 10 000 visitors that went past the man at immigration today at swampy he was sat there thinking "Mmmm they look decent enough...but that kid who got drunk (who 64 million Thai's will not have read about!) stole a mobile phone.....AT NIGHT.......so they are likely to be white trash as well'?

As for the honoured guest stuff, I can't find a big enough 'head banging on wall' smiley.

I find comments such as yours reflect badly on every single Brit in Thailand (you are a Brit right as we are the only ones that correctly ignore the spell checker and spell Honour not Honor) and we should hang our heads in shame every time we log on as everyone on TV holds us collectively responsible for your comment. Oh woe is me, despite our spelling prowess in keeping our language intact I am guilty by association and should be mocked personally for the comment that Yunla made. Mock me mock me everyone, ...I deserve it crying.gif My peer's will never look at me in the same light because of what you wrote Yunla .whistling.gif

Now off to tell my missus that from now on my status must be elevated not just to a guest but to an honoured guest. She will either get the bone china tea service out or kick me in the crotch.

• Like 1

I learn something ever day here. Now when I plan to rob a bank, I will make sure it's daylight outside.

Good for you! That's when the banks are typically open. A night-time break in would require some smarts, and boy, you aren't there yet.

I guess you can talk like that behind a computer, but would you say that to someone's face. I doubt it.

How about this: Don't take other people's stuff. I think Thailand needs to start canning like in Singapore. These thieving turd teenagers both Thai and farang would stop stealing immediately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Singapore

Yes....but depends how big the cans are.

all this for a drunken teen who lost it for few hours ....... and he is in jail which is understandable of course .... where is the heir of red bull at the moment ? in jail or still in Singapore to treat his flu ?

Exactly

Does Singapore can squid?

Shameful.

coffee1.gif

Ok, so all the scamming, robbing, skimming, bag-snatching and jet-ski rip offs reflect badly on Thailand then, right?

The "we are honored guests" mentality tragically could be from those who perceive thailand as the last place on earth where they can obtain/acquire/contract female companionship

PS; the special treatment given to honoured guests? scamming, cheating, double pricing, 90 day excursions even on a pricy 1 year visa.

Edited by atyclb

my thoughts were along this

18 year old drinking in thailand [illegal?]

takes off without telling anyone [found a girl? prostitute? ,illegal?]

girl took all the money and his own phone ,

so had to steal one to contact mates he didnt bother to tell he had a ride anyway

and no one with enough money for bail

im still rolling around with laughter