Protesting stars are rocking entertainment industry: Thai editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL
Protesting stars are rocking entertainment industry

The Nation

Celebrities entertaining anti-government rallies will win neither fame nor riches, but they should earn our respect

BANGKOK: -- Election day saw singer Jirayu "Joe" Wattanasin become the latest artist to step onto an anti-government stage, performing live at what protesters dubbed a "national picnic". He raised more than Bt1 million for those financially hampered by the rallies and joined a big line-up of stars who have appeared on the protest stages, including his rapper brother Jettrin "J" and TV producer-actor Pongpat Watchirabanjong.

Good publicity for their careers, you might think. But you would be wrong. Anyone who understands the Thai entertainment industry knows that it takes real guts for a star to criticise the government of the day. By appearing at these rallies, they are making a bold statement of their political affiliation to the public.

In a mature democracy like the United States, stars often take political stands, and many celebrities are renowned for their battles against big business and authoritarianism. Think George Clooney, Bono and Leonardo Di Caprio, to name just a few. Yet in Thailand, celebrities typically have little to say on politics and social issues. Instead they are the faces of marketing events, charity activities and, occasionally, government-sponsored campaigns.

Taking a political stand involves risks. Thai show business has close ties to government-controlled TV or to media companies with political connections. All entertainment companies want their stars to stay away from politics lest their behaviour compromise business. Whatever their political leanings, Thai celebrities are expected to at least appear neutral.

Thus politics has a real - though often unspoken - influence on the industry, with the government sitting atop the power pyramid. Recently the TV series "Nue Mek" was taken off air because of a storyline about corrupt politicians, while a documentary critical of the government's water-management project was banned altogether. To prosper, TV stations need to maintain a good relationship with the state and the stars must do likewise with their TV stations.

However, those joining the rallies seem to have overcome their fear. Their careers might be at risk if the government's Centre of Maintaining Peace and Order summons them to explain their roles in the protest. But the artists could be facing more serious long-term consequences. Their fame often rests on a large army of rural fans, many of whom are likely to be government supporters. With the country bitterly divided, the chances are high of fans boycotting a star for his or her political leanings.

The number of performing artists at anti-government rallies is unprecedented. And, unlike their traditional work fronting marketing campaigns for products or the government, these activities will win them neither fame nor riches. Voicing a political opinion is still alien to most Thai artists. Doing so takes real courage, against the risks to money, career and fame.

Whether they are fighting for the right cause is, of course, debatable, but they are no longer the pretty and passive playthings of advertising or government. They are making their own choice to take an active part in a movement that could change the political course of Thailand. As long as their intention is real and not tainted by self-interest, they deserve praise for their courage. Maybe in years to come, celebrity activism will become the norm in this country. Then the protesting stars of today can look back with pride as pioneers who rid the entertainment industry of its taboo on politics.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-05

This is amusing. They're just doing what other people of their social status and wealth are doing. Most hi-so types are supporting the Whistlers. So it's hardly kicking out against the status quo is it? I also like how the article suggests that they're putting it all on the line by performing at these 'picnics' - unless they're a foreign national, I don't think they have much to worry about regards CAPO. There are some underground bands who appear on small red shirt stages who really are putting it on the line to question the status quo (see article 'Music of the Unutterable' in Prachatai). I pass no comment on whether what they're doing is right or wrong, yet it is genuinely dangerous - not convinced a bunch of hi-so teeny bopper idols with millions in the bank who're just going along with what all their friends are doing, i.e. defending the old feudalists, is quite as subversive as The Nation seems to think...

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 1

Hehe some of these celebs are already finding out the price alright, on social media they are being absolutely slaughtered for the comments they have made and sharing the limelight with these fascists.

check out some of the feeds and threads the pictures and comments they are getting are very uncomplimentary and i suspect they will find it has made some of them infamous rather than popular.

Respect ? naaa they deserve all they get from the public and judging by the coverage not much is going to please them... some say any publicity is good publicity but imo being associated with a bunch of crazy fascists and dimwits who think a picnic in the evening is cool isnt

• Like 1

Hehe some of these celebs are already finding out the price alright, on social media they are being absolutely slaughtered for the comments they have made and sharing the limelight with these fascists.

check out some of the feeds and threads the pictures and comments they are getting are very uncomplimentary and i suspect they will find it has made some of them infamous rather than popular.

Respect ? naaa they deserve all they get from the public and judging by the coverage not much is going to please them... some say any publicity is good publicity but imo being associated with a bunch of crazy fascists and dimwits who think a picnic in the evening is cool isnt

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well, well, well. 5 out of 5 telling us that people with successful careers are stupid because they are willing to express their rejection of a corrupt government. Perhaps they should have stayed in the rice fields taking handouts from the criminals.

• Like 1

Well, well, well. 5 out of 5 telling us that people with successful careers are stupid because they are willing to express their rejection of a corrupt government. Perhaps they should have stayed in the rice fields taking handouts from the criminals.

And when have the likes of J Jetrin and Aof Pongpat ever worked in rice fields? Most Thai pop stars seem to come from elite backgrounds (obviously not so much in luuk thung etc). I didn't call them stupid. I just wondered why The Nation thinks it's anything special or a big deal that these stars are supporting what all their friends are doing. Seems they're simply going with the consensus - within their social class at least - not offering radical challenge to the status quo and putting their careers on the line to do it, as the author of this piece seems to reckon.

Sorry mate i give no time or respect for this bunch of silver spooners and the attitude and comments some have made show they are indeed moronic. ~Its one thing to reject corruption and quite another to personally insult someone as many have, you should read some of their comments they go far beyond acceptable .... they are celebs and have a responsibility of how they act and what they say.

Im being kind when i say moronic it implies they dont have the sense to stay impersonal when it comes to comments, personal slander has no excuse it is a criminal offence ;)

They only mentioned a couple of stars in the article. Eet has played several times already and Pong Phat has donated his time to play, as well. Pong Phat is very popular with the rural crowd. (Not sure if I am spelling those guys' name right, in English, but that is how I hear their pronounciation) wai2.gif

The usual insults of fascists and morons from the resident critics.Yet millions voted no, I think you should reserve the term moron for those who can't even place a ballot paper in the right box.

".Yet millions voted no...."

Wow you really are ITK, how many votes did PTP get? Surely we have to wait for the votes to be counted to find out who voted PTP or No or what ever.

The usual insults of fascists and morons from the resident critics.Yet millions voted no, I think you should reserve the term moron for those who can't even place a ballot paper in the right box.

".Yet millions voted no...."

Wow you really are ITK, how many votes did PTP get? Surely we have to wait for the votes to be counted to find out who voted PTP or No or what ever.

Yesterday's BP reported that PTP estimates they received ~10 million votes. I think they over-estimate by at least 10%. Hardly an overwhelming mandate in what was essentially a 1 horse race.

Thai show business has close ties to government-controlled TV or to media companies with political connections. All entertainment companies want their stars to stay away from politics lest their behaviour compromise business. Whatever their political leanings, Thai celebrities are expected to at least appear neutral.

The exception would be of course when female singers and actors go to Hong Kong for the weekend to "entertain" a certain fugitive...can't get anymore neutral than that.

• Like 1

Thai show business has close ties to government-controlled TV or to media companies with political connections. All entertainment companies want their stars to stay away from politics lest their behaviour compromise business. Whatever their political leanings, Thai celebrities are expected to at least appear neutral.

The exception would be of course when female singers and actors go to Hong Kong for the weekend to "entertain" a certain fugitive...can't get anymore neutral than that.

Just my opinion, but celebs wherever they are should stick to what they do best. It used to make me angry when they would hand out advice on who to vote for etc.

They should probably pick sides more carefully. Actors and musicians are always the first to get lined up at the shooting-wall when communist-type regimes take over. The ones who aren't shot are taxed at 95% of their wages, like my Grandpa who was a violinist under such a regime.

Never really warmed up to celebrities to start with, especially those who are 'celebrated' because they look like characters out of a 'Prince and Princesses' fairytale, and can hold a few notes or make a few moves in front of a crowd. There are exceptions, those who are really talented, but they are the minority. Anyway, that's my own opinion. And I digress.

My point is, I would actually 'celebrate' these 'celebrities' if they actually did something to help them poor farmers and bridge the 'rich-poor' divide. I don't know... maybe go perform at the farmers' roadblocks (instead of pandering to their own in BKK city, perhaps?), collect some money and divide it amongst those the farmers, help them along a little bit, or something? Peforming on stage in BKK? Nah... you're just talking amongst yourselves, in my opinion. And the money collected is to be given to those financially affected by the protests? Who may these be? The small traders who normally operate in areas closed down by the demonstrations? People injured in the rallies and/or families of those killed (this should be colour-neutral, I must add!)? Or Suthep and his 'movement'?

I can actually identify with some of the points of these anti-government protestors (this DOES NOT mean I am sympathetic to them, neither does this mean I belong to any coloured camps) but in all they have done, I have not seen any real efforts in reaching out to mend that divide, which some claim to have been started by Thaksin which again is a point I neither agree nor disagree. The fact is, the divide clearly exists - there is a bold black line on it - and yet nothing is being done to address this issue. Call it vote-buying if you want, but I maintain that the farmers - regardless of who they voted for - should be given what is due.

In closing, let me get back to one particular paragraph in the article:

"In a mature democracy like the United States ('mature democracy' is enough, why single out the US? -Ed.), stars often take political stands, and many celebrities are renowned for their battles against big business and authoritarianism. Think George Clooney, Bono and Leonardo Di Caprio, to name just a few. Yet in Thailand, celebrities typically have little to say on politics and social issues. Instead they are the faces of marketing events, charity activities and, occasionally, government-sponsored campaigns."

A few points to note, and I hope the journalist who wrote the article somehow gets this:

- Thailand is NOT a mature democracy. At least not yet.

- In Thailand, celebrities have little say in ANYTHING, because they lack substance i.e. real talent. Their relevance lasts as long as the relevance of today's newspapers. Not all celebrities are like this, but the real deals are a minority. George Clooney, Bono and Leonardo Di Caprio? Come on, you should even put them in the same article that mention Thai 'celebrities', let alone in the same paragraph.

- The Thai 'celebs' are faces of marketing events and so on because that's what they choose to do. It's easy money. Do nothing, pose for a nice picture and appear next to some products and get paid. I've worked with a few, so I know what I'm talking about, not pulling crap out of thin air.