Thai traffic police to get tough with truckers after accident kills 1

webfact

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banning drivers with no licences would be a start.

Why Thailand has never adopted tachographs in commercial vehicles like the rest of the world is puzzling.

But perhaps to cover the illegal hours driven now they'd have to employ a lot more drivers.

How on earth would banning drivers with no license help ...?????? They are already not allowed to drive DUH

Gsxrnz, on 07 Feb 2014 - 12:18, said:

I got the biggest shock seeing a brand spanking new Hino with a full set of knackered bald and mismatched tyres.

The mind boggles as to where the new original tyres wound up - probably fitted to an old broken down heap of a 1972 Mercedes L-Series somewhere up in Nakon Nowhere.

"Stolen" springs to mind...

I think the Thai understanding of "crackdown" must mean that the police continue to sit on their a*& with their crack facing down on a chair (probably while getting drunk). The next vehicle I see pulled over for a violation will be the FIRST one I see in Thailand. Thai officials must believe that "talking about" things is the same as "doing". Traffic law enforcement in Thailand is a horrible joke.

QUOTE:

"Traffic law enforcement in Thailand is a horrible joke."

No, it isn't.

Why worry about bald tires when the driver has 2 or 3 amulets hanging from his neck?

It's Thainess.

Exactly.

After the slightly intoxicated Thai driver for a couple visiting next door reversed his little Honda roller skate into the front of my parked pickup last night, my wife suggested that the colour of my truck was 'not good for me'. I mean I did have a pissed-up old Japanese guy do an illegal u-turn on his crotch rocket just last month as I sat at a red light and plant himself in the other front corner. Then there was the time when brand-new last year, parked in a parking garage and someone in something quite substantial planted a great big ding in the rear bumper... and drove away.

When I pointed out that I had never, ever bothered to take it to the temple to get blessed, she positively lit up and agreed that may have a lot to do with it.

Luckily, the people that 'hired' last nights dodgy driver were a Thai (wife) and English (husband) couple and when I suggested I get the local body shop to do a quote, they would pay (knock for knock like in the UK), all was sweet and everyone keeps their NCB. The Thai driver was a bit edgy over the earlier talk about calling the insurance companies which is usually what every Thai driver does when they have any prang without realising that even if they aren't to blame, they get it in the neck anyway when the insurance premiums fall due for renewal.

The shop quoted 5800 baht and 4 days work to get the whole front-end and bent wings sorted. That was 2800 baht for last nights fender bender and 2500 baht for Mr Jappy's bike intrusion plus 500 baht 'for the screws and clips'. Result!

Now just waiting for some plonker to plant it in my back bumper (again) so they can pay me to get that fixed.

Or should I take it to the temple anyway?

Several years ago the laundry man backed his old pick up into the back of my car after much talk between my wife and his wife I am told he have no insurance but we have to wait.

Next day his wife comes in a car and backs up to my car and lines up the damaged area to make sure there is a point of contact all looks good.

Called the insurance company.

Sorted.

re

Tyre v.s. tire... The former is British English and the latter is American English. Both are completely acceptable anywhere in the world.

wow ...... i didnt mean to cause trouble :(

i saw this truck with almost bald tyres still being used near doi internon in nov 05 and its probably still there :(

dave2

post-42592-0-77459100-1391827966_thumb.j

re

instructed traffic police officers on elevated and normal roads to punish motorists and the commercial trucks that were guilty of violations like driving recklessly; driving at illegal speeds; using trailer trucks with deteriorated links; and those carrying loads beyond permissible weight and height.

and bald tyres ?

dave2

In the racing world, these tyres are called 'slicks'.... It make them go faster, especially in corners whistling.gif

Considering that many trucks in Thailand have faulty Twist-Locks that secure the container to the truck frame, and/or the Twist-Locks are not actually locked by the driver, this sort of <deleted> is bound to happen.

Only 10% of the Thai truck fleet would pass a safety inspection. And that may be a hopeful exaggeration. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

I see trucks in the container port in Laem Chabang every day, most of them don't have any twist locks and the ones who have does not use them, coffee1.gif