Best Place in BKK for Rubin Sandwich?

pianoman

I have a good friend who although living in Bangkok for many years, he rarely ventures out past his normal back and forth, to and from, work... Oh, and the weekly trip to villa & foodland for shopping....

Anyway, yesterday he was wishing that he knew a decent to good place to get a Rubin Sandwich in Bangkok, so I thought I would ask for suggestions to pass along to him... He lives and works around the Sukumitt / Asoke area, so close to that would be best, but he is willing to travel a bit if the suggested place is really good...

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions...

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

The OP may wish to plug the following into his browser and see what google comes up with, there's loads of good leads to restaurant magazines and places claiming to have really good reubens, too many to useful post here:

reuben sandwich bangkok

From experience, the Landmark does a pretty good job. On a 1-10 scale with Cantors being about a 8, Landmark is a good solid 6 or 7. The NYCC (New York Cheese Cake Deli) in CDC puts out a pretty good 6 but usually out of pastrami, I think they import it from the US.

• Like 1

From experience, the Landmark does a pretty good job. On a 1-10 scale with Cantors being about a 8, Landmark is a good solid 6 or 7. The NYCC (New York Cheese Cake Deli) in CDC puts out a pretty good 6 but usually out of pastrami, I think they import it from the US.

Agreed...Landmark is pretty good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Larry's Dive on Soi 24 not far from your friend serves a pretty good one. The Derby King on Patong 1 use to serve a good one, but last time I was there it was off their menu. What about in Kalasin Piano man any place there serve a good one?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

the best one however is the one I make myself, they're not difficult to make.

No they're not. Sauerkraut and emmenthaler is easy enough to find, and thousand island dressing is easy to make from common fridge ingredients, but where do you get corned beef and rye bread? And if I have to travel 50 km to some specialty bakery and then another to some epicurious butcher, it no longer qualifies as "not difficult to make".

the best one however is the one I make myself, they're not difficult to make.

No they're not. Sauerkraut and emmenthaler is easy enough to find, and thousand island dressing is easy to make from common fridge ingredients, but where do you get corned beef and rye bread? And if I have to travel 50 km to some specialty bakery and then another to some epicurious butcher, it no longer qualifies as "not difficult to make".

Well I live in Chiang Mai and the Rimping supermarket here has a bakery that sells decent rye bread, as do many other places around town. Similarly, beef pastrami is readily available at the deli meats counter, 150 grams sliced very thin costs about 120 baht and the quality is very high. Not knowing where you live I can't advise but I suspect if you look around you'll be able to find those things.

• 2 weeks later...

The Bagel Cafe does have Rueben, and it's ok... But if remember correctly was pastrami rather than corned beef

http://thebagelcafebangkok.com

Only place I have seen so far with real corned beef was Hemmingways... So far, but also watching this thread to see if any other places are mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CWMcMurray

I thought the prior Larry's Dive location had closed and been taken over by another business some time back....

It has over a year ago, Larry's dive went down hill and closed. over a year ago. Now it is the "No Idea". A complete make over inside and out.

I thought the prior Larry's Dive location had closed and been taken over by another business some time back....

It has over a year ago, Larry's dive went down hill and closed. over a year ago. Now it is the "No Idea". A complete make over inside and out.

A much better place now....except when they have run out of lamb shank....

Agreed...Landmark is pretty good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

landmark very good. where not to go - El Osito, the pastrami and corned beef they "home make" are so salt laden i could not eat three bites.

It was utterly revolting. 3 sandwiches ordered for 3 people. 3 sandwiches in the trash .