Farmer protesters to rally at two ministries on Monday

Lite Beer

This is very strong stuff. These farmers and their families have suffered terribly, and they are rightfully distraught and angry. It will be interesting if any ministers deign to meet them, or if they would prefer to isolate themselves from the effects of their graft-ridden policies.

For those who don't understand the Thai language I will briefly translate what this very emotional old lady said.

At no point does she speak badly of the government or in anyway rude towards them. She said she never went to school and lives a very basic life. She doesn't speak sweet or in a proper manner because she doesn't know how to. She speaks from the heart.

She signed up for the rice scheme. Goverment officially took all her rice crop away with the promise she would receive money higher than the normal rate. When the time came to collect her money she went to the office to recieve her money but her payment had been put off for 12 months. Cancelled payment with no prior written notice.

This left her in a difficult situation. No rice and no money so she can't buy food. She relied on the kindness of friends and family who also are very poor for small donations to get by. She said she was so poor at times she couldn't efford to buy rice. She said she has two papaya trees in here back garden. For the past three months she has eaten nothing but papaya.

She finishes with a plea for Yingluck to step down and leave Thailand. Nothing else but that.

• Like 1

Terribly sad for farmers, and so unbelievable how this have gotten so far.

I don't know how PTP can go out of all the lies and the broken promises they made in the past months, I guess no way.

And I feel there's no way Yingluck and all the Shinawatra clan can claim to govern this country again soon. They showed all the malfeasance, the arrogance and the inability to govern.

Shinawatra and their cronies should leave the government and give way to reforms that must be written by the real people. Not some Suthep's Council "good people" anyway.

Just one thing I not agree with the poor farmer in the video. Why Shinawatras must leave their country? If they are guilty they will pay with justice, and if they not want to pay just go away... But they have the right to stay if they want, just keep out of politics.

Edited by newcomer71
  • Like 2

No matter what they also have to see that the populist strategies are not the way out of the vicious circle they are in. Farmers need to start co operatives in order to finally yield true profits from their endeavours.But sadly to say over the past 30 years I have seen 3 of those initiatives and the leaders "mysteriously" disappeared.... Break the chain. Power to the peaceful! thumbsup.gif

Trojan horse anybody!!!

Watch what them old farmers are bringing in with em!!!!!

Can't see em changing sides and they have more chance of getting it from Yingluck than Suthep. Old Sutheps more likely to be getting them to sign their land over to him and his mates for more golf courses, car show rooms, brothels and palm oil factories.

They'll learn.

Terrible situation, I still cannot fathom however why all sides cannot just allow the farmers to be paid and deal with the legality and incompetence plus maybe corruption after. It is selfish and there is only political issues getting in the way now.

The only ones losing out of refusing to let the gov take a loan to pay them are the farmers. If the sides or groups opposing the gov are not willing to allow the payments whatever it takes then they are also part of the problem. I know why they are doing it and I understand the reasoning at blocking things but the result is the hardship yet again of those that are innocent of nothing more than taking up a scheme that would be lucrative for them. It is not a crime to wish to make money out of your business.

It is wrong and the farmers should not be the sacrificial lamb in all this.... pay them let the loans through if required and sort it all out in court after.

Edited by englishoak

Terrible situation, I still cannot fathom however why all sides cannot just allow the farmers to be paid and deal with the legality and incompetence plus maybe corruption after. It is selfish and there is only political issues getting in the way now.

The only ones losing out of refusing to let the gov take a loan to pay them are the farmers. If the sides or groups opposing the gov are not willing to allow the payments whatever it takes then they are also part of the problem. I know why they are doing it and I understand the reasoning at blocking things but the result is the hardship yet again of those that are innocent of nothing more than taking up a scheme that would be lucrative for them. It is not a crime to wish to make money out of your business.

It is wrong and the farmers should not be the sacrificial lamb in all this.... pay them let the loans through if required and sort it all out in court after.

This government have no transparency and there is no guarantee the money will ever reach the farmers, look what happened to the original budge, and still PTP is talking of continuing the rice scheme. I agree about the farmers troubles though, a support to the farmers in trouble should be arranged.