Where did the large Antique Shop that used to be on Super Hwy. move to?

elektrified

Does anyone know? I can't imagine they just closed up as they had a massive inventory. They used to be across from the Tanin Hotel/Wat Jet Yod area or maybe a little further down.

I'm looking for a solid wood kitchen or dining room cabinet. Don't want one of those cheap, poor-quality compressed wood things or anything too "modern" looking. Not necessarily an "antique" but something solid and made to last.

Thanks for any leads.

Maybe you can check out the huge 2nd hand shop on the old Lamphun rd. maybe 100 m before the Mahidol rd. intersection. If you heading south it is located on the left hand side. More a market hall than a shop. They have about everything

Maybe you can check out the huge 2nd hand shop on the old Lamphun rd. maybe 100 m before the Mahidol rd. intersection. If you heading south it is located on the left hand side. More a market hall than a shop. They have about everything

Thanks I know the pace well. But their prices are out of this world! They wanted 6 or 7K THB each for used doors. I found the identical doors elsewhere for 1.5K THB each. We asked for a discount on a chair we saw there which was priced around 10K THB. The lady just looked at us and walked away. Weird place.

• Like 1

Check out some of the Japanese imported 2nd hand furniture places. One on the approach to Hang Dong has that kinda stuff.

Thanks for that. Sounds like a good idea. Could you be a little more specific as to location? Hang Dong is a big place!

I wonder if he means on the approach to ban tawai.

Hit the 3way intersection at hang dong turn left

Along that road for about a km there are some top class furniture shops.

Geared to the export market specifically you will look pretty tip top at home with that stuff.

Note that actual old Thai furniture might not be very desirable. While it's real wood, it's also kind of smallish/icky, with thin wood frame doors with rattling thin glass in them. It's rare that you find something truly solid/nice.

There is a place on Tung Hotel Road, very close to the intersection with Charoen Muang near the railway station. And there is one on the old Lamphun Road near the three way intersection where the Gymkhana golf course is, near the big tree.

Approaching Hang Dong, slightly before and opposite the Shell servo. Might even be directly opposite the HD post office. Just before the PTT/BangJak/7-11 servo on the left. Look for a row or two of second hand pushbikes out front. For more precise landmarks I'll be driving past tomorrow. Will take note.

Also need to be aware how wooden furniture here expands and contracts with the humid and dry seasons.

Lovely opening doors come the humid season will be forever open, slam it shut and opposing door opens.

Thinner framing cannot expand as much...would be a small %

if they do kiln drieds timbers then that's your target... Failing that a hardwood as they are more stable hence more expensive.

• 2 weeks later...