Advice needed

ABCer

Living in Rayong province, about 200 km from border. Do have a car. Want to travel (2 persons) to see Angkor.

Please advise (comment) about:

- Is it worth it?

- For how long should I plan?

- Better by route van or my car?

- What else is there 'must see'?

- Costs involved?

- Is it safe?

Thanks in advance to one and all. wai2.gif

- Is it worth it? Absolutely!

- For how long should I plan? & - What else is there 'must see'? I agree with the 4 days plan. In addition to Angkor Wat, there are many things to do in Siem Reap, depending on what you like (check out Tripadvisor's Things To Do list created by visitors)

- Better by route van or my car? I would not take the car. Van to the border and bus from there.

- Costs involved? This will depend likely on your chosen accommodation class (the current # 1 on the S.R. Luxury Accommodation list charges about $200 a night. Much more is possible, of course, like a suite at the Raffles. At the other end, I have stayed at a GH for $5 a night and was very happy) how you are touring Angkor (self-guided on a GH bike, tuk-tuk, private car? Elephant?).

- Is it safe? The biggest risk is probably crossing the road.

• Like 2

Also, while in Siem Riep, consider donating blood and cash at the Kantha Bopha hospital. If Dr Beat Richner is playing the celllo on a Thursday or a Saturday night - go to the concert for a different perspective on Cambodia.

http://www.beat-richner.ch/

Edit: Checked the concert times on Wikipedia.

Edited by oztaurus
  • Like 1

probably the best trip in your life........There are a lot of temples. You can't visit them in ONE day. according to my experience when I did this trip last year you should plan staying there for at least 5 days. You can buy a ticket (entry fee) at the entrance. 20 USd/day. Buy a 4-day-ticket. Take some notes with you USD. Shops and hotels or restaurants are taking only USD. My hotel was Ang Kan Kwang in Siem Reap. Check booking.com for price. Good hotel, excellent location. We hired a driver, who is speaking good English: 085517440447. It's for 25 USD/day. He will tell you interesting things about Cambodia and Angkor in particular. Very good guide driving a Camry. Even he will pick you up in Poipet, if you come by bus or leave the car in Poipet, because roads are not best. People are very kind, speaking English or Thai.

• Like 2

I am not a temple person... but reckon that Angkor (And there are a lot more temples than Ankor Wat) is the most remarkable thing that I have ever seen. Definately worth a look. If you take your time and wander away from the crowds or most popular temples, you can really see the beauty of the place.

Very much worth it. Go now before the ruins are totally swamped by Korean and Chinese tour groups.

As a resident of Cambodia, Angkor Wat is a must see. Been by road, never again, it's beyond awful. The ruins are already swamped by Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Thai and many other tour groups, who make enjoying the architecture nigh on impossible and it's only going to get worse.

I've been twice, it's like ants on a honey pot with no respect for the monument from most, sad really, but as I said, aside from all that a must see.

With hindsight, I enjoyed khao Phanom Rung near Buriram more as it was much quieter, but that was mid 90's.

the amount of mis information here is amazingtongue.png

there is no 4 day pass ( its a 3 day ( $40) good for 1 week or 7 days ( $60) good for a month

You ONLY need US $ Cambodian Riel ( which you can use it for every purchase, meal or your hotel), mostly only used for small change when the change is less than a $1. ATM's spit out new $20 & 50

Yes the temples can be full BUT it is such a huge area and it is easy to avoid the crowds, just don't go where the guide books tell you to go when they tell you to go.

Yes it is hot, its se asia, so u go in the early morn and head back to your hotel at 11 am an return at 3 pm, some temples have no shade, others are under the trees.

You can find rooms in Siem Rep from $5 Guest houses ( i spent $13 for a really nice place with air con , wifi and frig) up to $1,000/night which includes a dinner and Cambodian dance under the stars at Angkor Wat

Raffles top room will run you over $350 thru Agoda

I have been to some out of the way temples an been the only people there, Go in the off season ( may-Oct)

Angkor Wat is fantastic ( been at least 10 times in the last 6 years)

True some roads are bad ( an there are some great ones as well) and the holes could swallow a small car BUT i have driven my honda civic everywhere.

It is one of the most amazing places in have been to , my first visit was in 1999 and it has changed but still worht travelling across the globe for

• Like 2

Great thanks to all contributors.

Will take USD cash + Visa.

Think better go by tourist van to the border.

Might use the taxi guy you recommend. Thanks for the phone.

Can only go after March 2, as my wife is working at her stupid Uni.

Any visa problems? Australian and Thai passports respectively.

Anghor Wat is the largest temple, but for me it was not the most interesting. The ruined temples are more fun, there is the one used for filming Tomb Raider/Lara Croft which is amazing and another one that is so ruined that they have built wooden skywalkway type bridges to get you round it. Insist your guide takes you to the ruined temples.

• Like 1

Getting a visa on line is helpful. I stayed by the old market which is better than staying in

a mainline resort. Good places to drink and eat for family or what ever. Siam Reap is a neat

place. Enjoyed the people. English better than Thailand. If you take your car the place that you

stay should be able to find you a guide, to go with you or provide trans. Angkor Wat visit depends

on how much of a photographer you are. Got to be careful on getting too intense like I did.

There is lots to enjoy. Three days needed for a good visit to Angkor Wat. Do some homework

on where you want to go.

It's well worth it. I came back 3 days ago to Bangkok, after one week in Siem Reap. I also had the 3 day pass to Angkor Wat. There are a lot of tourists and package tours from China and Korea. Some really nice bars and restaurants in the evening. And you can't beat the draft Angkor beer for 50 cent in most places.

Visa on line is a waste (IMO). It only takes a few minutes to get it at the airport. And you don't even need a photo

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by larsjohnsson

thai passport gets a 15 day visa exempt stamp only ( FREE)

Rent a tuk tuk for the temples, average price is around $15/day although he is not a "guide" he will speak English and just tell him to take u to the places to avoid the japs, koreans and chinese, he will know what you mean. They seem to all go to the same places at the same time.

If u pull up somewhere and there are 20 large bus's in the parking lot move on :-)

DO NOT go to Phanom Bakeang for the sunset!!

Edited by phuketrichard