State of emergency costing millions of baht a day in food, other expenses

webfact

State of emergency costing millions of baht a day in food, other expenses
The Nation

The budget for maintaining the state of emergency is running into the millions of baht per day.

BANGKOK: -- The food bill alone for providing meals catered by a five-star hotel to caretaker Cabinet members and administrators of the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order range from Bt100,000-Bt500,000 per day.

While the exact cost is unknown, as there's no Parliament for the government to report to, some figures are already surfacing.

They include paying police and other security officers a per diem of Bt700, including Bt300 for meals.

That daily allowance is triple their normal rate.

As many as 200,000 police were deployed nationwide during the February 2 snap election and they were ordered to stay on duty for two to three more days.

Even as early as last October, when the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee was still in the formative stage, 50 companies of 12,000 police were deployed for 10 days from October 9-18.

This means that during the period, the caretaker Yingluck Shinawatra government and its security arms were spending Bt8.4 million per day.

More police were later assigned to special duty and at some point their ranks jumped to 40,000-60,000.

A thousand police have been dispatched to guard the temporary offices of the Cabinet and the government "war room", as well as the temporary office of the caretaker prime minister at the office of the permanent secretary of the Defence Ministry.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-12

"As many as 200,000 police were deployed nationwide during the February 2 snap election and they were ordered to stay on duty for two to three more days."

Where were they when the fascists were stopping people from voting?

Maybe they got some new orders from the dictator at this time

"As many as 200,000 police were deployed nationwide during the February 2 snap election and they were ordered to stay on duty for two to three more days."

Where were they when the fascists were stopping people from voting?

Lunch and a few sherbets.

The 'Bangkok elite' tag needs to be demystified, its a real fallacy to state that anyone with a bit of money are not only 'anti Shinawatra', but also 'have a hatred for the rural poor'. In my experience, those two rarely go together, altho there is the sometimes patronizing way that the well healed refer to the working classes

My take for what its worth is that a large proportion of the rich shallow types in Bangkok are Thai Chinese -

yes they are boring and snobbish..

hate poor people...

..and PRO Thaksin.

Edited by fish fingers
  • Like 2

Could be easily resolved if the Army sent as many people to clear PDRC of the streets as they do to protect them and their coup aspirations.

The PDRC rearguard of 30-50 last night are holding BKK to ransom as the police cannot move them.

Simple. Police touch fascist = fascist sceams COUP, army rush in!!! Can't let it happen and if the cost of this stand off is that democracy prevails, so be it.

Nothing comes free and that includes democracy. Most people in the world have voting rights that were bought with blood of the millions who stood up for Freedom. If Thais. want this Thai way of theirs.... they have to pay for it. Can't have any sympathy as it is the tax payer paying and it is this group in BKK who are trying to overthrow the Government.

'50 companies of 12,000 police were deployed for 10 days from October 9-18.' That's 600.000 police! One would have to assume that number included part-timers, tourist and cadets from the academy. Yes, I am laughing as I type. 5555

The PDRC rearguard of 30-50 last night are holding BKK to ransom as the police cannot move them.

Which is it 30-50 PDRC are holding BKK to ransom or there's only about 50 left and PDRC are finished???

You seem to change your mind more often than a flea... are you sure PIPKINS is just one person?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

To save money, just catch Suthep and his yellow thugs, then give the country back to the peaceful people.

Of course, there should be a budget allocated to keep him and his criminal "guards" in prison for many many years, but this can always be reduced to the strict minimum :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

When you are living the good life, paid more than your worth, unlimited expenses, free travel where and when you desire, receive a few million in 'here you go', pay, no tax on perks, and are given permission to use the big swager stick as you deem fit, what more would you ever wish for?

If these (government people) spent their own money as they spend the public's, there would not be a single one of them in public office. The way this bunch operate, they may do the here before thought impossible, "get blood out of a turnip".

One of the best laws I have encountered was, 'embellizment by an employee' was automatic sentance of a 3 to 5 year prison term.... and payback of the monies, court costs, etc.

'50 companies of 12,000 police were deployed for 10 days from October 9-18.' That's 600.000 police! One would have to assume that number included part-timers, tourist and cadets from the academy. Yes, I am laughing as I type. 5555

50 companies, each of 12,000 police would be 600,000.

Which is it 30-50 PDRC are holding BKK to ransom or there's only about 50 left and PDRC are finished???

You seem to change your mind more often than a flea... are you sure PIPKINS is just one person?

Every post that comes from Pip is pure imagined propaganda. Just try and ignore the troll...

• Like 2

State of emergency costing millions of baht a day

NO, Suthep is costing the country millions a day and even a lot more !

What a crap story.

Yingluck took the decision knowing full well what would happen. Its completely her responsibility, altho she never accepts any

I think your completely out of your mind... Yingluck took the decision ??? You Suthep lovers accept never any responsibility are you ?

I don't like the gov, neither i like Taksin, but at least I do understand who's responsible .

Suthep should be stopped urgently , or do you still believe after his reform it will get better for Thailand , wake up !

• Like 1

State of emergency costing millions of baht a day

NO, Suthep is costing the country millions a day and even a lot more !

What a crap story.

Yingluck took the decision knowing full well what would happen. Its completely her responsibility, altho she never accepts any

I think your completely out of your mind... Yingluck took the decision ??? You Suthep lovers accept never any responsibility are you ?

I don't like the gov, neither i like Taksin, but at least I do understand who's responsible .

Suthep should be stopped urgently , or do you still believe after his reform it will get better for Thailand , wake up !

Of course ... ikke is correct. Yingluck didn't make the decision to dissolve Parliament and she didn't make the decision to impose the SOE. Her brother did. PM Thaksin.. ikke thanks for helping to clear that up.

• Like 1